Hearing loss | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hearing loss

Wingboy

Site Supporter
Got my first pair of hearing aids today. After way too much huh and what? I took the plunge. This is a big game changer for me. But even more for everyone around me that has had to put up with my hearing loss. My 30% loss isn't that bad in comparison to others, it is significant.
The aids aren't cheap ($3700). The bluetooth technology is awesome.
Get yours checked. :)

I friend of mine who is legally def (0% on 1 ear and only 25% on the other) tried the Bluetooth several years ago.
He said it was awesome but the battery life sucked.
He needs his hearing aid to be working all the time so he said it wasn't worth the hassle.

I friend of mine who is legally def (0% on 1 ear and only 25% on the other) tried the Bluetooth several years ago.
He said it was awesome but the battery life sucked.
He needs his hearing aid to be working all the time so he said it wasn't worth the hassle.
Mine are bt.24hr battery life is promised.
Everything is app controlled.

I recently got my hearing checked because my wife said that I kept on say 'uhh and what' whenever she talked to me.

So I went to the doctor and got an appointment at a hearing clinic to get tested out

After the testing the technician said that my hearing is perfect!!!

I recently got my hearing checked because my wife said that I kept on say 'uhh and what' whenever she talked to me.

So I went to the doctor and got an appointment at a hearing clinic to get tested out

So, no problem with the ears then... just what's in between them? :D

j/k

I think it's called selective hearing.
Most husband's suffer from it.

A few years back, I got worried when I started having trouble hearing students (I was teaching at the time). At first, I didn't realize it was from motorcycling -- but after a few years a pattern emerged. I was great in April, but progressively worse as the season went on. A few weeks after I ended the riding season, my full hearing returned.

Doc confirmed it was something called TTS, which usually corrects itself... but not always. Fortunately, mine corrected itself every year and I have no hearing loss. He advised earplugs anytime riders run at freeway speeds for more than 30 minutes.

I did go to a much quieter helmet, and that seems to have done the trick. I don't wear earplugs, but I'm happy that my summer hearing isn't deteriorating as it used to.

My hearing is starting to fade and I have tinnitus as well in my right ear (it's pretty bad)
Now if I am riding for longer than 30 minutes or on the highway I typically where ear plugs.
I will say, I've learned my lesson from a lifetime of skipping protective equipment and listening to things too loud.

Hearing loss is the number one thing you can CHANGE to prevent dementia. (makes sense - if you can't hear you don't engage in conversation and the brain gets lazy)
Both me and the people around me notice if I forget to put my hearing aids in, in the morning.
@Wingboy what style did you get? In the ear or behind?

Same here, but that was 10 years ago. Since then, I realized my problem is probably that I hear everything and have trouble filtering things out.

Hearing loss is the number one thing you can CHANGE to prevent dementia. (makes sense - if you can't hear you don't engage in conversation and the brain gets lazy)
Both me and the people around me notice if I forget to put my hearing aids in, in the morning.
@Wingboy what style did you get? In the ear or behind?
Behind the ear. Can't feel them at all. Very comfy. BT adjustable from the app on my phone. Take phone calls or listen to vids/music.

Tried a pair of in ear ones a couple of years ago. Decided I wasn't ready yet. Will probably try another pair before my wife retires.

My father only has hearing in one ear, and it's pretty bad. The other was removed due to cancer. His issue is clarity, rather than volume and it's from years working in construction.

Was talking to an audiologist who mentioned that "behind the ear" and "rechargeable" is the way to go, except during the mandatory mask time, when people were switching to the "in ear" model

Do you wear them when riding?

If anyone wants foam earplugs, swing by. I've got at least four different varieties you can try to find the ones that work best for you. Anytime I am on a bike I have them in. Used to use them for yard work (muffs are hot) but now switched to iems for that as awareness of the outside world is minimally important.

Back
Top Bottom