Has the city lost it's mind... | Page 27 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Has the city lost it's mind...

I agree and profoundly disagree at the same time. They like to talk about 15 minute cities. Urban planning and zoning haven't changed much over the last decades. The plans may have a few paths added through a conventional fabric. Still lots of dead inside corners that kill walking by forcing you to go all the way around. Hell, I haven't even seen a plan in decades with an internal corner store or commercial. They are all at one edge and very far from the houses at the far side.
For a 15 minute city they have to beak up Toronto into the original bunch of villages and cities they had befor amalgamation. Etobicoke, Mimico, Long Branch, Islington, Leaside, Swansea etc.

For a 15 minute city they have to beak up Toronto into the original bunch of villages and cities they had befor amalgamation. Etobicoke, Mimico, Long Branch, Islington, Leaside, Swansea etc.
Even then, only a few have a chance. Riverdale could make it happen. Assuming you didn't actually want workers at your nearby stores and restaurants that is as there is no way in hell could any afford to live within 15 minutes unless the company provided housing.

Even then, only a few have a chance. Riverdale could make it happen. Assuming you didn't actually want workers at your nearby stores and restaurants that is as there is no way in hell could any afford to live within 15 minutes unless the company provided housing.
Company housing and they can get paid in 'scrip' that is only useful inside the 15 mins. Nice.

They flew a spare plane and a tech and a part to JT. Tech put the part in and he came back on original plane. Without a doubt, the carbon emissions to facilitate him embarrassing us this weekend exceeds my entire families carbon emissions for years.

They flew a spare plane and a tech and a part to JT. Tech put the part in and he came back on original plane. Without a doubt, the carbon emissions to facilitate him embarrassing us this weekend exceeds my entire families carbon emissions for years.
Funny thing is that JT is basically the top dog in the civil service. One of the Scandinavian leaders flies commercial. Our head butler needs his own plane.

Funny thing is that JT is basically the top dog in the civil service. One of the Scandinavian leaders flies commercial. Our head butler needs his own plane.
I think they have three planes over there now. Two Polaris and the challenger. What do you want to bet that we flew the challenger around the world to transport his spawn?

That’s nothing compared to the carbon footprint from him being on vacation in Florida, flying back to Ottawa on a Monday for a photo op with Moreau, back to Florida on the Tuesday, then finishing his vacation two days later and flying back to Ottawa on the Thursday.

From 15-minute city - Wikipedia

"The 15-minute city (FMC or 15mC) is an urban planning concept in which most daily necessities and services, such as work, shopping, education, healthcare, and leisure can be easily reached by a 15-minute walk or bike ride from any point in the city. This approach aims to reduce car dependency, promote healthy and sustainable living, and improve wellbeing and quality of life for city dwellers."

From the City of Toronto Bloor St. bike lane documents presentation:
View attachment 63174

They are definitely pushing for a 15 minute city. The motive behind that is subject to debate, but the concept is definitely guiding many urban planning decisions.
I mean being able to bike or walk my kids to wherever they need to be sounds like a freaking dream.

Being stuck in car traffic is not part of that dream. Avoiding say 70% of the trips to big box stores and replaced with smaller grocery, hardware store, etc would be awesome.

My eldest kid could go to school by herself but it's just not very safe. Heck my youngest could do it too but it's even less safe for him. Removing half the school buses and most of the parents dropping off would improve traffic so much. It would decrease injuries, claims, deaths, stress too while improving our kids' health and maybe even put a tiny dent in our obesity problem. But it's all a conspiracy for big brother to watch us somehow.
I mean i used to do it even in quebec winters when i was their age, but it was a smaller, calmer, safer town. I think basically we're trying to make it less car dependent so people have options. Esp in suburbs!

I mean in this economy, i dont think too many people want to buy cars

I mean being able to bike or walk my kids to wherever they need to be sounds like a freaking dream.

Being stuck in car traffic is not part of that dream. Avoiding say 70% of the trips to big box stores and replaced with smaller grocery, hardware store, etc would be awesome.

My eldest kid could go to school by herself but it's just not very safe. Heck my youngest could do it too but it's even less safe for him. Removing half the school buses and most of the parents dropping off would improve traffic so much. It would decrease injuries, claims, deaths, stress too while improving our kids' health and maybe even put a tiny dent in our obesity problem. But it's all a conspiracy for big brother to watch us somehow.
I mean i used to do it even in quebec winters when i was their age, but it was a smaller, calmer, safer town. I think basically we're trying to make it less car dependent so people have options. Esp in suburbs!

I used to live just off Roncesvales. One hardware store was a half block away, the other a whole block. Similar for butcher shops and bakeries.

I used to live just off Roncesvales. One hardware store was a half block away, the other a whole block. Similar for butcher shops and bakeries.
Yeah, it's great and it was always set up that way. I spent much of my early 20's in Bloor west and same thing.

The problem is they are trying to shoe horn it into places like Mississauga that were literally planned around the car. Turning the whole place into gridlock with empty bike lanes and putting transit corridors in the middle of nowhere, does not solve the problem.

A lot of this drivel is only one step above sovereign citizen crap. If people are that unhappy with society, they should head far north. You can exist in peace and never have to interact with the authority that they despise so much. Just make sure not to take advantage of the benefits of society like roads or healthcare or people may call you a hypocrite. Society won't waste money on trying to find you to bring you back into the fold and making sure you are vaccinated.

EDIT:
JP makes dumptruck loads of money with his opinions. Is that altruistic and all of that money is being spent on trying to invoke change? Is any of that money being spent on trying to invoke change? Bitching is very profitable.

Last edited:
Average walking speed is about 5 kph so the 15MC would have a person living at the centre of a 2 kilometer diameter circle. The biggest problem would be medical services. Full service hospitals every 2 km will never happen. Police fire ambulance???

To travel greater distances without excessive walking there would have to be a grid of public transit lines every 2 Km going N-S and E-W, full time.

I'm trying to do a dry run of 15MC in my head, living without a car. If I need a loaf of bread it's a half hour walking. A case of beer is a lot heavier so do I bike it with a bicycle trailer or use a bundle buggy?

Does the concept work with more small stores spread around? That sounds like more staffing than the big box stores.

How about inventory? Can small stores with less choice satisfy the customers? Ethnicity plays a party. In an Indian area there could be lots of chicken but no beef. What is your go-to starch? Potato, rice, pasta?

When I was delivering to Loblaws produce 40+ years ago one of the workers mentioned his poundage output was half of what it was 20 years earlier. In 1960 a store would order a skid of oranges. By 1980 variety kicked in and the store wanted 10 boxes of loose navals, 8 boxes of bagged juice oranges, 7 boxes of size X loose, four boxes of size Y and three boxes of specialty. It takes time to pick and pack the skid. Same for apples, grapes etc.

25% of Canadians are obese and a bunch more just out of shape. A lot of older chubbies have screwed up their hips and knees. COPD from smoking adds to the disabled list. How do you pass a law making them walk or ride a bicycle and their rights are enshrined in the constitution.

We went to a large No Frills the other day and their chip, pop and candy aisle was bigger than the whole grocery store I was used to on Roncesvales. Salad dressing choices used to be French, Italian or Thousand Island.

There were no low fat products but people were thinner.

My head hurts

I live in a 200+ year old village, planned when walking to stuff was about the only option.

Within 1KM I have everything I need, in 10 minutes of less I can walk to a good sized hospital, 20+ restaurants, a micro brewery, doctors for everything, dentists, vets, 2 large grocery stores, 2 hockey rinks, 2 high schools, 3 grade schools. LCBO, fire station, GO, TTC and VIVA are all within a 3-minute walk.

Never experienced crime or vagrants in the hood.

I'm happy here.

I live in a 200+ year old village, planned when walking to stuff was about the only option.

Within 1KM I have everything I need, in 10 minutes of less I can walk to a good sized hospital, 20+ restaurants, a micro brewery, doctors for everything, dentists, vets, 2 large grocery stores, 2 hockey rinks, 2 high schools, 3 grade schools. LCBO, fire station, GO, TTC and VIVA are all within a 3-minute walk.

I'm happy here.
you have any rooms for rent?

I'm happy here.
When my wife was a kid growing up in Paris Ontario and had to get her tonsils out her dad wrapped her in a blanket and carried her to the hospital. Now it would be a drive to Brantford. But now they have three Tim Hortons.

Back
Top Bottom