Has the city lost it's mind... | Page 37 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Has the city lost it's mind...

Blame boomer and Gen X lawyers / elected leaders.

Kids don't make these rules. I was given a participation trophy every year in hockey. It was boomers giving the trophies. Us kids all knew they were worthless.
I think participation trophies are a little different, the ban on tobogganing is not only a massive overreach, its another giant waste of tax payers' money -- I can't imagine how much staff time was spent evaluating the toboggan risk of every hill in the city.

Participation trophies -- a completely different thing -- here's a little history lesson on that. Till the late 80s, kids who played recreation-level sports had club jackets they wore to games, practices, and sometimes to school. After each season, players & coaches got a fancy chenille or embroidered participant patch for their jackets. In the late 80's club jackets faded away, and the crests became obsolete, so clubs changed their end-of-season participation trinkets from a fancy crest to a little trophy.

I liked the jackets , if you were really lucky and got on a team with a sponsor ( some buddies dad with a company) you got custom jackets , wool body and leather sleeves , and you wore that proudly. We have dozens of soccer , baseball , and hockey trophies from tbe kids , 99% are “ you showed up” awards

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I liked the jackets , if you were really lucky and got on a team with a sponsor ( some buddies dad with a company) you got custom jackets , wool body and leather sleeves , and you wore that proudly. We have dozens of soccer , baseball , and hockey trophies from tbe kids , 99% are “ you showed up” awards

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
I'm old enough that good high school athletes still got the letter patches. Not old enough that they had coats to put them on though (maybe one or two kids had the coat as they were ridiculously expensive).

I'm old enough that good high school athletes still got the letter patches. Not old enough that they had coats to put them on though (maybe one or two kids had the coat as they were ridiculously expensive).
School letters were always a big thing in our house, I don't think they are such a big thing at High Schools these days. My 3 kids graduated with full letters, there were 6 or less full lettermen from each of their classes, only 1 in my Daughter's class (of about 400 students).

My guys were lucky enough to make OFSAA in football and hockey. Their school always rallied enough financial support to outfit players with warmup suits. When they won OFSAA, they got rings.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom