Harley Rebuild - Interested? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Harley Rebuild - Interested?

I'm in. What's the plan? Stockish just refreshed or something different? What's wrong with it now to trigger a rebuild?

I'm in. What's the plan? Stockish just refreshed or something different? What's wrong with it now to trigger a rebuild?
......it is a Harley. Looking forward to watching its transformation from a moth.

Cosmetically it's in reasonable shape (for 45 years old), but it hasn't been touched (or run) in 6-7 years and somewhat neglected in the corner of a garage. I was hoping to get away with some minor stuff, but it needs everything going over. Brake fluid was missing in the rear brake (front is probably the same), sprockets are obviously original (bent teeth), tires are from 2002, gas was essentially varnish, points have never been changed, interesting electical connectors all over...you get the idea. So it's on the lift getting a thorough refresh.

Cosmetically it's in reasonable shape (for 45 years old), but it hasn't been touched (or run) in 6-7 years and somewhat neglected in the corner of a garage. I was hoping to get away with some minor stuff, but it needs everything going over. Brake fluid was missing in the rear brake (front is probably the same), sprockets are obviously original (bent teeth), tires are from 2002, gas was essentially varnish, points have never been changed, interesting electical connectors all over...you get the idea. So it's on the lift getting a thorough refresh.

Find an applicable facebook group for the bike. The amount of technical experience available is incredible. I've been part of Thunderbird, V-Star, etc groups and due to the size they are just not in the same league.

I'm ok if you skip to the part where you kick it to life with that big pedal......
If it's anything like my 850 commando, it's more about technique that the power behind the boot.

A fellow once told be, "It's a KICK start, not a JUMP ON start!"

It's ALL about technique
Once you figure it out, your 1340cc Harley with 8:1 compression should be easier to kick than your 850 Norton with 9.5:1... because of the firing order.

If you replace the starter on that thing use the Denso starter... is BETTER

Well I have spent time kicking a Commando, but only when the owner had tired himself....,.

After many hours, the Harley has been rebuilt. A few teething problems, but nothing I can't sort out. First impression: Very heavy, Very little power, bad brakes, clunky transmission, lots of noise - Everything I was expecting and loving it!

Harley.jpg

Nice congrats! Did I miss the thread tracking your progress? Or there wasn't one?

Awesome job!

I think a 1977 model fits when AMF owned HD and it seemed they were trying to kill the brand. It's a nice looking bike for cruising around on.

Well done, I like the style of those saddlebag guards!
Must be a EVO engine, lots of guys like that engine.
5 speed?

Back
Top Bottom