H-D has a new boss | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

H-D has a new boss

Well, I turned 50 a couple weeks ago and have, if possible, have LESS than zero interest in any HD product. Heavy, clunky bikes.
Me, I'm looking at an Aprilia Tuono 1100 as my next bike - as you mentioned, age has an effect. Give me a twisty road and I can ride my RC8r all day long without issue. Straight on the highway, not so much fun.

That makes perfect sense. HD does not currently make anything that compares.
but base on the theory that price dictates what is better.
Should you not look at maybe the MT10 you know it’s cheaper?

Harley does need to expand there product line in order to shake the heavy overpriced reputation.
But if they keep the quality people will pay the price. Look at Aprilia, Ducati, triump all have there following the same as Harley. Harley just needs to work on the younger market.
I remember when KTM dirt bikes were white and purple and rare.
now these orange over priced dirt bikes are everywhere
why?

Some would say that "all cruisers" are overweight and underperforming. But like the ladies say, it's not always the size of the tool, it's the skill of the operator.

A 1000# cruiser or a Goldwing or whatever in the hands of a skilled rider will ride circles around the "wannabe" riders on crotch rockets in all but the straightaways. Look at how some of the super skilled Goldwing guys can thrash the Dragon for example.

Comparing to what exactly?
I looked up the new 2020 Vulcan 1700 as a comparison to the ultra limited
895 lbs Kawasaki
917 lbs Ultra limited HD
792 lbs street glide special HD

cost
$20,599 new Kawasaki
$33,899 HD Ultra limited
$24,999 HD street glide special

1/4 mile times had to use 2011 numbers as that what I found
14 sec Kawasaki
13.6 sec Ultra limited
13.3 sec street glide special

looked up used bikes
2018 Vulcan 1700 7778 km $16,288 difference of $4311 cheaper than new
2018 ultra limited 15,070 km $27,904 differenc of $5995 cheaper than new
2018 street glide 4176km $24,999 difference of $1900

Id say your Japanese fatty is right in the middle of these two American girls.

My bike weighs about 450 lbs and I bought it used
not the lightest but I wanted something comfortable

The argument that all Harleys look the same is no different than Harley guys thinking all sport bikes look the same. when your into you notice the little differences.

My bike weighs about 450 lbs and I bought it used
not the lightest but I wanted something comfortable

What is your bike and what category does it fall under?
My point is that Harley is not that far off the mark if you compare apples to apples.
My other point is that they hold there value incredibly well despite the masses on this particular forum insisting that they are worthless overweight junk.
My Harley was 800lbs and slow AF
My current ride is 500lbs and pretty peppy but the critics will say its to heavy for off-road and they are not completely wrong. But get your dirt bike out on the road and see if you can hang with me. Or a GSXR in the dirt.
Different bikes are for different purpose and interests
I for one will be taking out the new Panamera ADV bike to compare to my 1190.
not because I’m interested but just to compare.

Nice can you find me a street glide under $5000 cause I’m pretty sure those Gold wings started out at the top of the touring food chain

The argument that all Harleys look the same is no different than Harley guys thinking all sport bikes look the same. when your into you notice the little differences.
so you`re saying someone on this planet thinks a '95 zx6r and a '20 zx6r look the same?

oh boy.

What is your bike and what category does it fall under?
My point is that Harley is not that far off the mark if you compare apples to apples.
My other point is that they hold there value incredibly well despite the masses on this particular forum insisting that they are worthless overweight junk.
My Harley was 800lbs and slow AF
My current ride is 500lbs and pretty peppy but the critics will say its to heavy for off-road and they are not completely wrong. But get your dirt bike out on the road and see if you can hang with me. Or a GSXR in the dirt.
Different bikes are for different purpose and interests
I for one will be taking out the new Panamera ADV bike to compare to my 1190.
not because I’m interested but just to compare.
whose said they are junk? all i see is
not for me, doesn't provide what i look for in a bike

Honestly, When I bought the shadow, had I done comparison shopping I probably wouldn't have bought it. I bought it based on looks. If I had only known at the time, that the HD street 750 has 10% more power, and 10% LESS weight, for $1000 less.... But hey, that's why they aren't selling. People just don't know. I'm recommending any new rider to check out the street line before they buy any entry level cruiser.

A 1000# cruiser or a Goldwing or whatever in the hands of a skilled rider will ride circles around the "wannabe" riders on crotch rockets in all but the straightaways. Look at how some of the super skilled Goldwing guys can thrash the Dragon for example.

And Marc Márquez would make both look silly on a Grom. :rolleyes:

Nice can you find me a street glide under $5000 cause I’m pretty sure those Gold wings started out at the top of the touring food chain
lol nope, can't be done. I'm having trouble even finding a basket case sporty under $3k

Some people are just sick and tired of their expensive electronics breaking 12 or 18 months after they buy them and want quality built reliable hardware and software combinations.

The uninformed are quick to jump all over this statement...but Apple products last. My cases in point are the older machines sitting next to me, one dating back to 2006 which still work to this day, and their customer support is documented as one of the best in the industry.

Have they had the occasional hardware snafu and do they do stupid things? Yep. But they tend to stand behind the hardware issues even years after the item in question is out of warranty - I've had a few issues over the years but not ONCE (even on a 2010 Macbook that had a battery that was 4 years out of warranty go bad) did I ever end up paying a dime for support or repairs - they stood behind them.

Do they do stupid things? Hell yes....the reason I just bought a 2014 Macbook Pro used instead of a brand new Macbook from Costco was because I think Apples routine of removing ports at the expense of size is stupid...at least at this point when I have a lot of things I still use that are wired. And I hate the proprietary lightening cable which is why I'm looking forward to the eventual switch to USB-C.

But...in the end, I know it's all going to work for decades to come even if there's minor things I don't like.

My daughter was still using a 2016 iPhone SE up until 2 weeks ago and is still entertaining offers for $100 for it despite it's age...and it's still supported with software updates same day. I have some old iPhones dating back to the 3G and 4 era and they all still boot up and work.

At least they look different. Harleys designs don't "age" because they basically never change much beyond a piece of chrome here or a slight angle there.

1995 Ultraglide:

8130354-1995-harley-davidson-electra-glide-flht-std.jpg

Current day Ultraglide.

52CFA0B0-1112-496C-9E75-5A23F2CB43A1.jpg

Whenever you go to a rally or something like PD13 and all the HD's line up to each other, it's the motorcycle equivalent of this:

18777827632_842917440a_b.jpg

At least the Metrics give you options for those who don't want to ride a cookie cutter.

Where them $1000 Goldwings at?
Exactly the same argument could be made for buying a Harley. It is not a rational decision this is biology, Apple and Harley have or had a consistent message and it isn't that they have the best products. That both have excellent message and you can you the group by owning one. This wouldn't work if you made junk but the products don't have to be better just good.why do you think the logo faces away from the owner.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Exactly the same argument could be made for buying a Harley. It is not a rational decision this is biology, Apple and Harley have or had a consistent message and it isn't that they have the best products. That both have excellent message and you can you the group by owning one. This wouldn't work if you made junk but the products don't have to be better just good.why do you think the logo faces away from the owner.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk
good point, apple phones have been stagnant for years up until the last gen or 2 but the sheeple kept lining up every year to fork over money for a barely changed model.

my samsung and blackberry phones may not boot up anymore, but i've moved on anyways and at the time they presented far better value for money.

so you`re saying someone on this planet thinks a '95 zx6r and a '20 zx6r look the same?

oh boy.

Exactly
My dad sees about the same differences that a sport bike guy sees the difference in a 15year span of HD touring bikes.
But he can spot a 2006 street glide from a 2010 street glide from 20’ away.
It’s mater of what you like and follow.

If you don’t know the changes that Harley has made to their touring bikes it’s because you don’t look into it and or care.
I owned a 2006 because it was a deal. I wanted 2009 or newer because the chassis was made better, they had more power, and a 6th gear.
I have ridden a 2019 and it was night and day to my old 2006 and it should be.
The only S/S I have ridden is a 2001 R6 I’m willing to bet I know nothing about super sports and should keep an open mind.
Maybe they are more comfortable now.
Maybe they have more low end usable power now.

Last edited:
Exactly
My dad sees about the same differences that a sport bike guy sees the difference in a 15year span of HD touring bikes.
But he can spot a 2006 street glide from a 2010 street glide from 20’ away.
It’s mater of what you like and follow.
to a point, but if you spend 10 seconds on google images looking at them you'll probably wonder how anyone could. i don't think apathy is the answer here.

I know plenty about branding, thanks.
you know nothing about Macs or Apple apparently>
Lots of "brands" have failed because they cannot deliver quality that people percieve as useful for them to spend on. Apple is successful because people vote with their dollars on technologies that are

Yes there is a fashion aspect to Apple ....there is with Harley as well. The Harley eco-system is something that many don't want to be associated with and that's a very hard situation to overcome given the changes in technology and the demographics.
I have a hard time seeing Harley getting out of it without a deep pocket partner.

If they don’t make a bike that fits your needs then obviously its not the brand for you and you have no reason to even shop there but if they produce something in the class you are shopping and you don’t at least look into HD that dose not make sense.
They are trying to expand there market and you may just find a bike you like in there.

Back
Top Bottom