H-D has a new boss | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

H-D has a new boss

At least they look different. Harleys designs don't "age" because they basically never change much beyond a piece of chrome here or a slight angle there.

1995 Ultraglide:

8130354-1995-harley-davidson-electra-glide-flht-std.jpg

Current day Ultraglide.

52CFA0B0-1112-496C-9E75-5A23F2CB43A1.jpg

Just off the top of my head
The 95 has the evo pushrod air cooled 88” engine
Current is the Milwakee 107” liquid cooled heads overhead cams making almost double the power. 3 generations of engines apart.
3 major chassis changes between these bikes
Shape of luggage has become smoother
sound system has gone from a cassette deck to a touch screen with navigation

It’s not your taste and that’s ok. Some guys likem a little bigger and softer.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Harley threads should be insta-bans

Why they give us something to debate besides which political party is screwing us the most.

I’m really not an HD fan boy. I sold mine because it was fat and slow.
but if I was to buy another fat slow bike I would definitely give Harley a look.
And if they enter into a market I’m interested in I will give it a look.

Look at how some of the super skilled Goldwing guys can thrash the Dragon for example.

You can’t use Yellow Wolf as a proper example. He makes his living filming on the dragon, and has done countless runs of it...

That, and the suspension on the bike has been completely replaced and raised up to make clearance for the bags.
No way would that pace be possible on a stock bike.

but base on the theory that price dictates what is better.
Should you not look at maybe the MT10 you know it’s cheaper?

Actually, new MT10 is $17152 plus all the fees etc.
New Tuono can be found for $15188.

Besides, the fueling on the MT10 isn’t so super duper. Super jerky on/off throttle.

Some would say that "all cruisers" are overweight and underperforming. But like the ladies say, it's not always the size of the tool, it's the skill of the operator.

A 1000# cruiser or a Goldwing or whatever in the hands of a skilled rider will ride circles around the "wannabe" riders on crotch rockets in all but the straightaways. Look at how some of the super skilled Goldwing guys can thrash the Dragon for example.

[mention]Wingboy [/mention]
I still remember years ago, coming back from one of Aminals BBQ’s, you were on your couch rocket embarrassing everyone on sport bikes! It’s no wonder you had to replace floorboards on that thing!

Now if a very high end couch is how you want motorcycle and you have deep pockets. These are absolutely beautiful.

9be6d21af6dcd0bc4774d3580ba992b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That says 2018 that’s not new that’s non current
Although yes I my self would take a Tuono over a MT10.
Ive also bought a older Harley over a newer Vulcan and a KTM over a vstrom
That Tuono has been on my watch list along with the Super Duke R
I get it

Sounds perfect. History in fashion and luxury brands. That's pretty much the business HD is successful at.

Not going to read this entire thread but

I wonder if he has a Motorcycle Licence or even know how to ride a bike? With or without a motor.

Actually, new MT10 is $17152 plus all the fees etc.
New Tuono can be found for $15188.

Besides, the fueling on the MT10 isn’t so super duper. Super jerky on/off throttle.
honestly it's something you adapt to, but a Tuono is arguably better value and easily the better bike overall.

I wonder if he has a Motorcycle Licence or even know how to ride a bike? With or without a motor.
Doubt it to be honest. Boards almost always act in this manner. They will bring in whatever hotshot was successful somewhere else. It doesn't matter to them whether that person even knows what their company makes. I think it would be a good idea for prospective candidates to have an undercover boss like experience. Work on the floor in various positions over a few weeks. Maybe go under cover inside of a focus group or two. Get to know what workers and potential customers think of the brand, the products, and working environment. I think the new CEO would then be able to really hit the ground running, with well informed ideas.

Harley doesn’t need him to know how to ride a bike. They need him to run the company. The most successful construction companies I’ve worked for, the owners couldn’t build a dog house. But they can put the right people in the right places.

Harley doesn’t need him to know how to ride a bike. They need him to run the company. The most successful construction companies I’ve worked for, the owners couldn’t build a dog house. But they can put the right people in the right places.
The most successful motor companies in the world were built up by engineers, mind you that was back when engineers worked with metal rather than crayons.

The thing that seems to be overlooked in all the defense of HD is that yesterday's old/mature guy isn't todays and isn't tomorrows.

Classic rock has gone from Buddy Holly to Steppenwolf to Led Zeppelin to Van Halen to Pearl Jam.

For a brand to sustain at a certain level it has to recruit NEW customers along the way. Guys in my generation (50's) are arguably the last one that has a direct connection to HD's glory days. We might have seen knuckle heads being ridden around, or WW2 surplus flat heads being customized, and for myself XR750's being ridden hard, fast and loud.

For younger generations it's JUST nostalgia and that kind of nostalgia has always been short lived and comes and goes with pop culture references and associations.

Contrary to what anybody wants to believe, the decline in new bike sales is a serious issue for the MOCO, in spite of selling a larger volume of whatever segment than whatever other manufacturer. For whatever shortcomings we may believe the board members have one thing they can see is a developing problem, regardless of the business they're working for right now.

Harley won't be, "just fine" if they continue as they have for the last 2 or so decades. That road is lined with the wreckage of other companies that figured they were a legacy brand that was too big to fail or their brand image would ensure continuous profitability.

It might be argued that though Harley's trikes are apparently good sellers and function well for what they are they have done a degree of damage to the brand in the eyes of those younger consumers that Harley needs to attract.

Regardless, none of us know whether the planned new bikes and proposed changes in how the company operates will lead to a successful and prosperous future, but we can be certain that for them to do nothing but staying-the-course and tweaking the existing offerings will lead to their eventual demise.

Seems to me Harley is right on par in this new segment.
I’m looking forward to seeing there ADV bike and the Bronx to see how they’ve done in those classes.

Doubt it to be honest. Boards almost always act in this manner. They will bring in whatever hotshot was successful somewhere else. It doesn't matter to them whether that person even knows what their company makes. I think it would be a good idea for prospective candidates to have an undercover boss like experience. Work on the floor in various positions over a few weeks. Maybe go under cover inside of a focus group or two. Get to know what workers and potential customers think of the brand, the products, and working environment. I think the new CEO would then be able to really hit the ground running, with well informed ideas.

Yup, I am aware that a CEO job is not what the typical person may think it is.

I was just commenting facetiously.

But it sort of is ironic if my comments are true.

The most successful motor companies in the world were built up by engineers, mind you that was back when engineers worked with metal rather than crayons.

Built up yes and so was Harley in the beginning. But is the ceo of Honda or Yamaha at the test track or the wind tunnel watching over the new designs. Probably not.
It works when a company is small.
At one point I was on every job doing the work and writing every check.
As I hire more people I spend less time on site and I have completed projects without actually being there. It’s my job to co-ordinate and estimate jobs, I have tradesmen that are on site, and a bookkeeper looking after Payable’s and receivables. If I focus on being on site looking over their shoulders who’s making sure they have work next month.

Back
Top Bottom