Got caught going 166 km/h on highway. Need help! | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Got caught going 166 km/h on highway. Need help!

I got caught in by an officer that guessed my speed,
Why do you assume that? You don't even know how fast you were going except at the point the lights went on, and you don't even know at what point you passed him or at what precise point he started pacing your speed.

In my/my friends experiences the REALLY good ones don't give free consultations. I would recommend an actual good lawyer and not some X-copper thing for this one.

^QFT. Avoid x-coppers. I've heard many stories on how x-copper does a poor job, doesn't show up at all on your behalf or even pleads guilty for you to get a lower sentence.

Why do you assume that? You don't even know how fast you were going except at the point the lights went on, and you don't even know at what point you passed him or at what precise point he started pacing your speed.

I don't know the exact speed I was going at all times, BUT:

1) He says he started pacing me under this sign as soon as I passed him.
2) He said that he was about to pull a car over for not having headlights on during the night.

There was a car with no lights on that moved out of the HOV lane as soon as the walkers line exit sign was in the distance, so this supposed speed run that I went on started at the earliest between appleby and walkers and ended right at Guelph.

I don't know the exact speed I was going at all times, BUT:

1) He says he started pacing me under this sign as soon as I passed him.
2) He said that he was about to pull a car over for not having headlights on during the night.

There was a car with no lights on that moved out of the HOV lane as soon as the walkers line exit sign was in the distance, so this supposed speed run that I went on started at the earliest between appleby and walkers and ended right at Guelph.

You say that the "supposed speed run that I went on started at the earliest between appleby and walkers"? By that do you mean that is the earliest the cop saw you?

Appleby's to Walkers Line is a little over 2 km. Walkers Line to Guelph Line is 2 km. The Walkers Line exit signs are visible to westbound traffic at about 1.5 km before Walkers Line. That's potential 3.5 km distance in total. Do you still think he didn't have enough time to match speeds and pace you?

One paralegal firm stands out from the rest of them.. Redline .. They have a VERY good reputation in this community. They never represented me for anything major (just a 34 over speeding charge) but it was a tough one (full disclosure on time, the cop showed up, he knew how to put on a good performance in court). Not guilty :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a few things to consider.

- If you plea with the crown before trial, I'd bring all the evidence at hand and see if they would drop it. You can't really lose from talking to the crown. Then you might want to consider doing a plea, but if you do I wouldn't ask for 49 over, I'd ask for 29 or 39 over.... otherwise it just sounds like you are guilty and just want a break. Make it sound like you did here.... that there is no way you were going near 150.... but ya you were doing 30 over or whatever.

- If you have a court date, ask for disclosure. If not, wait until you get the court date and ask for disclosure. If you don't get disclosure from both cops, then this could work in your advantage when you get to the court room. Consult with legal council to see if asking for disclosure from the other cop is a good idea or not. i.e. it might be best not to remind them, that BOTH need to give you disclosure. One cop writing down what the other cop said is not valid unless both can back up the story.... someone can't speak for someone else when giving evidence.

- I have had great results with RedLine, but I don't know if they work in Halton or not. Since you were busted in Halton... and if RedLine doesn't do Halton (and they will let you know), then find a traffic lawyer LOCAL to the area that is familiar with the officers in the area. If they do work in Halton - then I'd go with them.

Last edited:
You say that the "supposed speed run that I went on started at the earliest between appleby and walkers"? By that do you mean that is the earliest the cop saw you?

Appleby's to Walkers Line is a little over 2 km. Walkers Line to Guelph Line is 2 km. The Walkers Line exit signs are visible to westbound traffic at about 1.5 km before Walkers Line. That's potential 3.5 km distance in total. Do you still think he didn't have enough time to match speeds and pace you?

I was following a car with no lights on from when I got into the HOV lane at Burloak. (I remember because the Burloak Mall and Movie theater were on my left hand side)
I was following this car until it pulled out of the HOV lane. I remember when it pulled out of the HOV lane the Walkers Line exit sign was in the distance, which means that I was relatively close to the exit of walkers line.
The cop said that he was about to pull the guy over for not having his lights on when I came passed him.
The cop said he then ditched the automobile with no lights in pursuit of me.
He pulled me off at Guelph Line.

Thats the story, I must have been going a speed slower than 166 because I was following the car with no lights since burloak, and then in the span of 2 km I supposedly sped past the car with no lights, got up to 166, the cop sped up to me, paced me for long enough to establish speed, and then pulled me over.

One paralegal firm stands out from the rest of them.. Redline .. They have a VERY good reputation in this community. They never represented me for anything major (just a 34 over speeding charge) but it was a tough one (full disclosure on time, the cop showed up, he knew how to put on a good performance in court). Not guilty :cool:

Very encouraging to hear this kind of story. I will definitely check out redline.

Just a few things to consider.

- If you plea with the crown before trial, I'd bring all the evidence at hand and see if they would drop it. You can't really lose from talking to the crown. Then you might want to consider doing a plea, but if you do I wouldn't ask for 49 over, I'd ask for 29 or 39 over.... otherwise it just sounds like you are guilty and just want a break. Make it sound like you did here.... that there is no way you were going near 150.... but ya you were doing 30 over or whatever.

- If you have a court date, ask for disclosure. If not, wait until you get the court date and ask for disclosure. If you don't get disclosure from both cops, then this could work in your advantage when you get to the court room. Consult with legal council to see if asking for disclosure from the other cop is a good idea or not. i.e. it might be best not to remind them, that BOTH need to give you disclosure. One cop writing down what the other cop said is not valid unless both can back up the story.... someone can't speak for someone else when giving evidence.

- I have had great results with RedLine, but I don't know if they work in Halton or not. Since you were busted in Halton... and if RedLine doesn't do Halton (and they will let you know), then find a traffic lawyer LOCAL to the area that is familiar with the officers in the area. If they do work in Halton - then I'd go with them.

Great advice man thanks!

Do I need to have a lawyer BEFORE I meet with the prosecution or after?

first off OP don't even bother replying to turbo, he's just a troll. Lawyer up and good luck. also does anyone know how much training the cops got on 172 when it came out.....NONE.

first off OP don't even bother replying to turbo, he's just a troll. Lawyer up and good luck. also does anyone know how much training the cops got on 172 when it came out.....NONE.

I believe this 100%. Both officers gave completely different charges (one said I would have my liscense suspended and a min 2000 dollar fine, and the other said no liscense suspension and the worst charge would be the tow truck.)

You know the JP, don't you? :wink:

Police officers can read. They also like to use the internet like the rest of us. Don't lay out your defence here. If you truly believe that they lied about the speed that you were going at the time...
Get professional help, this is serious.

turbo usually gives good advice, its just way too late to undo anything, or help with the current situation.

Back
Top Bottom