Got an ADV? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Got an ADV?

It would be great to have something like BDR in Canada. There are thousands of KM of connected trails in almost every province, having a few mapped out like BRDs might encourage more people to get their ADVs dirty.
There is the TCAT: Gravel Travel Canada - Routes
The Trans Québec Trail: Sentiers Trans-Québec Trail - Home
Shorter, the Pick Axe loop: Adventure Route

I also hear that a Trans Ontario Trail (like the TQT) is in the works.

Lots out there ;)

The Pickering airport lands are well-maintained lightly traveled roads. The roads themselves aren't that interesting, but if you have a big new shiny ADV and need a little introduction to riding dirt roads, it's close and you have 70+km of dirt to explore.
I have spent some time roaming around that area on my V Strom 1000. It's very interesting, in that it appears frozen in time; like the 1960s. It's well monitored. Once 3 of us on ADV bikes stopped to have a closer look at an old one room schoolhouse and within minutes an official truck showed up and told us to scram. I have been known to enter dirt roads that have No Exit signs.

I have spent some time roaming around that area on my V Strom 1000. It's very interesting, in that it appears frozen in time; like the 1960s. It's well monitored. Once 3 of us on ADV bikes stopped to have a closer look at an old one room schoolhouse and within minutes an official truck showed up and told us to scram. I have been known to enter dirt roads that have No Exit signs.
I grew up in the area. There are still some interesting places, and yes the "enforcement" can be a bit overzealous. I once had one of them stop and ask me what I was doing to which I replied, "Sitting on the side of a public road so none of your f'n business."

Sadly, the government has knocked down a lot of history over the years. Aside from old houses, schools, general stores and old mills have been bulldozed. The hamlet of Altoona was a really interesting little place with several structures, but sadly most are gone now.

The landlord (government) with the support of the municipality would ensure the buildings became vacant and wouldn't maintain them even minimally. Over time the structure would deteriorate to the point of unsafe and they could bulldoze it without any possible resistance or possibility of saving it for heritage reasons.

Checking out the old cemeteries is interesting. I once found a simple grave marker off in the corner that read only, "An unknown stranger".

20230928_100912-XL.jpg

🤑

I love Monster too, but...
I used to buy (before I quit this summer) on Amazon and I keep receiving these recalls, pretty much every kind is affected, this one just last example from last week.... (One would never even know if buy at convenience store)

1696251010477.png

Strange you and @xrljoel mention the enforcement, I've not come across anyone and I've been in the are a few times. There are some hidden gems in the area for old buildings if you look you will see them otherwise they don't seem like much if you are passing by. Also some very nice properties (or estates) around there as well. I doubt the airport will ever happen with people building nice homes there hidden from everyone else except us wandering around there.

Strange you and @xrljoel mention the enforcement, I've not come across anyone and I've been in the are a few times. There are some hidden gems in the area for old buildings if you look you will see them otherwise they don't seem like much if you are passing by. Also some very nice properties (or estates) around there as well. I doubt the airport will ever happen with people building nice homes there hidden from everyone else except us wandering around there.
You're right, the enforcement is rare. In my case it was a private security guard.

The old 4-corner hamlets are interesting parts of our relatively recent past. I grew up in Cherrywood and went to school there until grade 3. The school still stands as does the general store, a former garage, a much older blacksmith shop, and the church. Many places in Ontario have/had these same buildings all centred on an intersection. Some, like Claremont just too the north were built up around a feed mill along a river.

I'm old enough (58) to remember the general store having everything from wire fencing to groceries and including a butcher shop and post office, as well as loose candy in jars. MOJO's - 2 for a penny among other stuff. My name is still scratched on a brick on the corner of it along with many of my classmates 50 years later.

If you're interested in stuff like this it's a nice ride out to Stirling (north of Belleville) for a visit to the agriculture museum there. It's simple but really well done and has a nice collection of vintage equipment, much of it Canadian made.

You're right, the enforcement is rare. In my case it was a private security guard.

The old 4-corner hamlets are interesting parts of our relatively recent past. I grew up in Cherrywood and went to school there until grade 3. The school still stands as does the general store, a former garage, a much older blacksmith shop, and the church. Many places in Ontario have/had these same buildings all centred on an intersection. Some, like Claremont just too the north were built up around a feed mill along a river.

I'm old enough (58) to remember the general store having everything from wire fencing to groceries and including a butcher shop and post office, as well as loose candy in jars. MOJO's - 2 for a penny among other stuff. My name is still scratched on a brick on the corner of it along with many of my classmates 50 years later.

If you're interested in stuff like this it's a nice ride out to Stirling (north of Belleville) for a visit to the agriculture museum there. It's simple but really well done and has a nice collection of vintage equipment, much of it Canadian made.
Yes! Thanks for sharing, I will definitely go check that out and Cherrywood.

I found a similar museum just outside of Coldwater (The Coldwater Canadiana Heritage Museum)

I grew up in the area. There are still some interesting places, and yes the "enforcement" can be a bit overzealous. I once had one of them stop and ask me what I was doing to which I replied, "Sitting on the side of a public road so none of your f'n business."

Sadly, the government has knocked down a lot of history over the years. Aside from old houses, schools, general stores and old mills have been bulldozed. The hamlet of Altoona was a really interesting little place with several structures, but sadly most are gone now.

The landlord (government) with the support of the municipality would ensure the buildings became vacant and wouldn't maintain them even minimally. Over time the structure would deteriorate to the point of unsafe and they could bulldoze it without any possible resistance or possibility of saving it for heritage reasons.

Checking out the old cemeteries is interesting. I once found a simple grave marker off in the corner that read only, "An unknown stranger".
I grew up a few minutes from the airport lands (I still live 5 minutes away). Most of the buildings disappeared decades ago -- the gov't owned them but the agreements with the tenants were no maintenance included. Some maintained the buildings, but most didn't, so when the roof or HVAC reached the end of life, the tenants were evicted and the buildings removed.

Not sure if there was much valuable history destroyed, most of the dwellings were simple clapboard farmhouses and barns, that area was not affluent, and there were no grand farmhouses like you would have found in King, Richmond Hill, or Markham. Those farmers weren't driving King Ranches and Escalades.

Illegal dumping has always been a problem and still is. It's not uncommon to see truckloads of shingles, building materials, furniture, and, household junk dumped at the foot of old driveways. Years ago scavengers were a problem, they picked from the boarded-up buildings barns. Dirt bikers and snowmobilers were also common. The local renters are a bit of a bohemian lot, they are the eyes and monitor the area for illegal dumping, pickers, dirtbikes, hikers, picnickers -- anything they don't like. Transport Canada is on their speed dial -- they call the local office and will send someone to investigate. There are very few buildings left to pick, and kids don't ride dirtbikes like they did 25 years ago, not enough snow for sledding, but the dumping continues.

2020 Moto Guzzi V85TT. A do-it-all bike. Sometimes I think of it as an Italian V-Strom, but with infinitely more character and charm.

All day comfortable, enough grunt to provide some thrills, plenty of room to carry enough gear for a week or more on the road. Easy to work on. Always leaves me satisfied.

I ride as much local gravel as I can find here in the Durham region. Fire roads, the odd logging road, perhaps. I'm neither skilled nor brave enough for anything more.

The V85 is often overlooked by the ADV crowd; inadequate suspension travel, not enough ground clearance, etc. This hasn't stopped my brother on his V85. He's vastly more experienced than I, and has no trouble riding single track, water crossings, etc. Always keeps up with his KTM buddies in the woods.

Definitely a pavement bike first, there's no doubt, but equipped with proper tires and a skilled rider (not me), it'll get the job done.

I grew up a few minutes from the airport lands (I still live 5 minutes away). Most of the buildings disappeared decades ago -- the gov't owned them but the agreements with the tenants were no maintenance included. Some maintained the buildings, but most didn't, so when the roof or HVAC reached the end of life, the tenants were evicted and the buildings removed.

Not sure if there was much valuable history destroyed, most of the dwellings were simple clapboard farmhouses and barns, that area was not affluent, and there were no grand farmhouses like you would have found in King, Richmond Hill, or Markham. Those farmers weren't driving King Ranches and Escalades.

Illegal dumping has always been a problem and still is. It's not uncommon to see truckloads of shingles, building materials, furniture, and, household junk dumped at the foot of old driveways. Years ago scavengers were a problem, they picked from the boarded-up buildings barns. Dirt bikers and snowmobilers were also common. The local renters are a bit of a bohemian lot, they are the eyes and monitor the area for illegal dumping, pickers, dirtbikes, hikers, picnickers -- anything they don't like. Transport Canada is on their speed dial -- they call the local office and will send someone to investigate. There are very few buildings left to pick, and kids don't ride dirtbikes like they did 25 years ago, not enough snow for sledding, but the dumping continues.
They certainly weren't as large or grand as some other places but that doesn't diminish their cultural significance, particularly in a local or regional context.

The vandalism was certainly an issue and dumping occurs everywhere, including in the driveway to my fields once. It drives me crazy as the tipping fee at the dump isn't that much (in relation to proving to the world that you're a giant, empty-headed, mouth breathing jacka$$.

There used to be an unofficial monument at the ruins of a mill and store just south of Brougham to the east of Brock Rd. It marked what the constructor at least believed, to be the original townsite. I wonder if it's still there or if it was obliterated by the construction related to the 407.

The V85 is often overlooked by the ADV crowd; inadequate suspension travel, not enough ground clearance, etc. This hasn't stopped my brother on his V85. He's vastly more experienced than I, and has no trouble riding single track, water crossings, etc. Always keeps up with his KTM buddies in the woods.

Yep.

*Any* bike can be an adventure bike.

I've seen guys on R6s, Goldwings and Harleys on the dirt roads.

It's just that you'll be working harder on some motorcycles than others on the trails.

Slight change of topic, but still on the same subject;

Was riding with some guys this weekend, mix of bikes: 500s, 690s/701s and 890.

greystokes.jpg

Our buddy on the 690 loves his bike. For him, it's big enough for the street, small enough for the trail.

Another guy on the same bike, a 701, is looking to size down. He was constantly complaining that his bike is a jack of all trades, but master of none. Too big for the trails, too small for the street.

Just goes to show: a unicorn for one person is a dumpster fire for another.

However, the 890 guy was crying tears of rage, shame and frustration the entire ride... :LOL:

Slight change of topic, but still on the same subject;

Was riding with some guys this weekend, mix of bikes: 500s, 690s/701s and 890.

View attachment 63509

Our buddy on the 690 loves his bike. For him, it's big enough for the street, small enough for the trail.

Another guy on the same bike, a 701, is looking to size down. He was constantly complaining that his bike is a jack of all trades, but master of none. Too big for the trails, too small for the street.

Just goes to show: a unicorn for one person is a dumpster fire for another.

However, the 890 guy was crying tears of rage, shame and frustration the entire ride... :LOL:
@Lightcycle
Excuse my lack of knowledge.
Are those the remnants of a forest fire?

Yep. Every year we have wildfires. This one was probably a few seasons ago.
Cool.
A good friend on mine's brother and his GF live in Revelstoke, both are on the forest firefighting team in the summers.

Ski Patrol/Ski Medic in the winter as well as licensed avalanche control technician.
His GF is a heli-skiing tour guide in the winter.

There is the TCAT: Gravel Travel Canada - Routes
The Trans Québec Trail: Sentiers Trans-Québec Trail - Home
Shorter, the Pick Axe loop: Adventure Route

I also hear that a Trans Ontario Trail (like the TQT) is in the works.

Lots out there ;)

One of the guys in our riding group developed a Kootenays/Okanagan BDR - about 3000 kms on two different routes in the BC Interior:

Roger%20Meadow%20IMG_7218.jpg

Back
Top Bottom