Got an ADV? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Got an ADV?

Mad Mike

Lots of discussion about ADV bikes and owners. Tell us what you ride and how you split miles between asphalt, gravel and Mx courses. And where you stop for coffee.

I’ll start. I have a few, mostly ride s DL650 Vstrom, 80% asphalt, 20% dirt roads, 0% Mx.

Have a DR Big that is about 50 asphalt 50 dirt roads nothing Mx.

Have a couple of 250 and under enduros, almost no asphalt, 50% dirt, 50% trails.

Last edited:
I've never taken an adv bike into a mx track. I did do some laps on a ct70 as an adult. Highly do not recommend. Absolutely brutal. After that experience, I have no desire to drive a pig around the track.

I've never taken an adv bike into a mx track. I did do some laps on a ct70 as an adult. Highly do not recommend. Absolutely brutal. After that experience, I have no desire to drive a pig around the track.
CT 70? That a mini trail bike, I don’t think you could practically hit anything in the ADV category.

CT 70? That a mini trail bike, I don’t think you could practically hit anything in the ADV category.
It went on many adventures but i agree, not an adv bike. Just commenting on taking a bike to a brutal track that is entirely ill-equipped (as would happen with a proper adv bike).

R1250GS: about 65% asphalt 35% FSRs and dual track
…..

Don't drink coffee. I drink Monster energy drinks and pick them up at the gas station when I fill up.
In Ontario all GS bikes came with a Starbucks membership.

In Ontario all GS bikes came with a Starbucks membership.

Ya, they totally do, but I don't drink coffee. 🤷‍♂️

Even if I did, my bike would be too dirty to be accepted by all the other pristine pavement pounding princesses parked outside.

Hm, that was a lot of unintentional alliteration...

IMG_3515-L.jpg

Mine is a Tiger GT pavement princess. The other model is more offroad. I Only do gravel or dirt when I have to. Which means a few times a year as they're always tearing up the good roads. One time this year I went seven km on gravel before turning back Later I found out that the gravel ended after eight km. I've only done Ganaraska forest and Sand Del Lee on proper rental bikes. Mine is also dirty.

I used to ride an old DT200 on a MX track. that lil two stroke would hit 150 km/hr on the pavement lol.

but lately I've been thinking about a honda CRF450L with street specific rubber on it. would make a great commuter around town. would like to keep all of that 12" suspension for the rough roads up here in n. bay
290lbs fueled up isn't too bad..who needs knobbies

hmmm.. or a tiger for the hwy

Last edited:
DL1050- a pavement princess.
I do drink coffee but not Starbucks. I can't speak the language.

So far the only dirt roads I encountered are due to poor route planning or unexpected detour.
However I do want to get some light offroad kms under my belt with it.

KTM 1090R:
400 series Hwy 1 or 2 %
2 lane highway 58-59%
tar & chip or gravel secondary roads 30%
Forest access, unopened allowances, railtrails 10%
Single track trails or MX style - 0% as it's pointless on something this big.

Husky FE250 dual sport:
Single track forest trails & connecting dual track 95%
tar & chip or gravel secondary roads 5%

I miss my wannabe adv bike
cb500x

95% road (90% of that was commuting, 10% was "touring")
5% off road as in gravel and fire roads over the 45k km i put on it

I've had two. Multi 1100 and Tenere 1200. Both were great street bikes, but terrible off road. The Ural is a huge surprise. It's a scream on gravel roads and with switchable two wheel drive it's actually quite capable off road. Looking forward to deep snow.

I've had two. Multi 1100 and Tenere 1200. Both were great street bikes, but terrible off road. The Ural is a huge surprise. It's a scream on gravel roads and with switchable two wheel drive it's actually quite capable off road. Looking forward to deep snow.
Please please please put a snow plow on it and post videos. You will be the neighbourhood hero.

2023 Africa Twin AS DCT

Only to starbucks and burgeRR meetups. I'd probably cry if it got actual mud on it.

2023 Vstrom 650 XT

I always find some gravel someplace mostly indirectly.
Also been exploring some of the back roads between Stoufville and north Pickering on the way home.
Haven't cleaned the bike yet.

I’ve got my trusty KLR for dirt roads and such, My Africa Twin will see very little of road riding

Back
Top Bottom