Good torque wrench video | GTAMotorcycle.com

Good torque wrench video

nobbie48

Site Supporter
It appears blocked but YouTube search

Best Torque Wrench? $450 Snap On vs Craftsman, ICON, Kobalt, DeWalt, SK Tools, Proto, Wera​

Channel by Project Farm

Stupid youtube (or forum software). I thought that was fixed.

Video code below.
HP4uECoH8cc

Would be interesting to have that gauge and try my mastercraft.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Would be interesting to have that gauge and try my mastercraft.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
At one point my mastercraft maximum was off by 30%. Boo. Fixed it and it's been ok since. The only explanation I have is an assembly error and a the spring popped to a new location. Nothing else should make such a big difference (and no, I don't store it set to 100).

At one point my mastercraft maximum was off by 30%. Boo. Fixed it and it's been ok since. The only explanation I have is an assembly error and a the spring popped to a new location. Nothing else should make such a big difference (and no, I don't store it set to 100).
Don't store them loaded but also don't back the cheaper ones off 100%. The spring can drop out of place and the torque wrench becomes a power bar.

Also, I get in the habit of doing a test click with the drive square clamped in a vise. Does it click and feel right?

Don't store them loaded but also don't back the cheaper ones off 100%. The spring can drop out of place and the torque wrench becomes a power bar.

Also, I get in the habit of doing a test click with the drive square clamped in a vise. Does it click and feel right?
I never go back to zero and never store loaded. I didn't take it apart to try to determine root cause just adjusted so it was accurate and check it yearly.

my last one(Mastercraft/CTC lifetime warranty) must have malfunctioned when 2nd last used....wheel fell off my SUV...wheel nuts worked loose. Good thing it was about to be written off anyways.

CTC replaced it with their current model , 1 year warranty. it did fail the last time used....ratchet stopped turning.

Last edited:
my last one(Mastercraft/CTC lifetime warranty) must have malfunctioned....wheel fell off my SUV. Good thing it was about to be written off anyways.

CTC replaced it with their current model , 1 year warranty.
I always wondered how that exchange would go. Now I know I guess

Had good experience replacing Mastercraft stuff like sockets etc. No receipt. Don't know how they will track the new torque wrench 1 yr....probably with ph# history in their database. Will probably be more than a year before it fails anyways. Hopefully.

Had good experience replacing Mastercraft stuff like sockets etc. No receipt. Don't know how they will track the new torque wrench 1 yr....probably with ph# history in their database. Will probably be more than a year before it fails anyways. Hopefully.
The thing is that their sockets will still have lifetime warranty on them. Did they issue you a $0 receipt for the replacement?

I have a horse in this race, having two Mastercraft Maximum torque wrenches with lifetime warranties - one has already been replaced once

nope. No receipt. Will have to cross tat bridge then. Is the replaced one a lifetime model? ...keep the box.

...actually if it's Maximum model isn't it NOT lifetime already?

nope. No receipt. Will have to cross tat bridge then. Is the replaced one a lifetime model? ...keep the box.

...actually if it's Maximum model isn't it NOT lifetime already?
When I bought them they were lifetime. I think I have the receipts but since they were printed on thermal paper I'm sure they'll be completely blank by now

This is online..."When you don’t have your receipt, we will offer a receipt look-up*."

Take the faded receipt with you and get a replacement.

How does one confirm the torque wrench is still in spec? I’ve been using the same MAXIMUM one over the last few years and no wheels falling off on 3 cars each tire change…

How does one confirm the torque wrench is still in spec? I’ve been using the same MAXIMUM one over the last few years and no wheels falling off on 3 cars each tire change…
Roughly below procedure. Adjust as required to work with what you have. Clamp socket into side of vise. Put torque wrench into socket (arm horizontal). Measure convenient distance from centre of socket to somewhere on handle (likely 24" on a 1/2" torque wrench). Grab some weights from your workout set. Calibrate close to desired torque. For instance 50 lbs at 24" is 100 ft-lb. Hang weight from your mark on handle using a rope or strap. Wrench should just click. To confirm, turn up 5% and see if the weight hangs with no click.

CTC sold Grey tools with a lifetime warranty way back. If you squawk long enough they will honor those too.

CTC lifetime warranty is the reason I own a 1/2" drive ratchet, torque wrench and Johnson bar but very few 1/2" drive sockets.

I have CT Maximum 3/8 and a 1/2 torque wrenches. The 3/8 was not working properly and I got a replacement under the "lifetime" warranty. CT told me the replacement was only under warranty for 1 year. Now, technically, they can't do that as any replacement should be covered under the same lifetime warranty the original was, but good luck getting them to agree to that.

I suppose CT figured out that torque wrenches may need to be calibrated at some point in time and that a lifetime warranty meant that they were on the hook for this forever. No one is going to bother re-calibrating a wrench when they can simply get a new one. I suspect they began to have a high rate or warranty claims and realised that they were losing money on torque wrenches, hench the change in the warranty period.

I have CT Maximum 3/8 and a 1/2 torque wrenches. The 3/8 was not working properly and I got a replacement under the "lifetime" warranty. CT told me the replacement was only under warranty for 1 year. Now, technically, they can't do that as any replacement should be covered under the same lifetime warranty the original was, but good luck getting them to agree to that.

I suppose CT figured out that torque wrenches may need to be calibrated at some point in time and that a lifetime warranty meant that they were on the hook for this forever. No one is going to bother re-calibrating a wrench when they can simply get a new one. I suspect they began to have a high rate or warranty claims and realised that they were losing money on torque wrenches, hench the change in the warranty period.
I recalibrate my torque wrenches (ghetto recalibration, not certified). Whose to say the new one is correct out of the box? To get something properly calibrated costs more than a CT torque wrench.

CTC sold Grey tools with a lifetime warranty way back. If you squawk long enough they will honor those too.

CTC lifetime warranty is the reason I own a 1/2" drive ratchet, torque wrench and Johnson bar but very few 1/2" drive sockets.
Grey tools themselves will honour that warranty though. Finding a dealer might be inconvenient, but you'll get Grey replacements

Grey tools themselves will honour that warranty though. Finding a dealer might be inconvenient, but you'll get Grey replacements
Interesting. I thought Grey had long since folded. I'd likely still go CTC. I don't much care what brand as long as it's in the box when I need it.

Back
Top Bottom