Good torque wrench video | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Good torque wrench video

Interesting. I thought Grey had long since folded. I'd likely still go CTC. I don't much care what brand as long as it's in the box when I need it.
Available online and at many professional suppliers. Not sure if they are the same company our parents bought or if they are carrying on the name. The history they present says it's the same company at the same factory but corporate histories are often optimistic.

I have CT Maximum 3/8 and a 1/2 torque wrenches. The 3/8 was not working properly and I got a replacement under the "lifetime" warranty. CT told me the replacement was only under warranty for 1 year. Now, technically, they can't do that as any replacement should be covered under the same lifetime warranty the original was, but good luck getting them to agree to that.

I suppose CT figured out that torque wrenches may need to be calibrated at some point in time and that a lifetime warranty meant that they were on the hook for this forever. No one is going to bother re-calibrating a wrench when they can simply get a new one. I suspect they began to have a high rate or warranty claims and realised that they were losing money on torque wrenches, hench the change in the warranty period.
What had failed? Abuse isn't usually covered and the next most common failure, in my somewhat educated opinion, (I used to service them) is a failure in the ratchet head. All those teeth, springs and pawls going clicky, ckicky, clicky.

There is also a spring and pawl in the handle that only goes click once an operation. Do springs lose their strength due to repetitive operations, assuming they aren't pushed past a deformation point?

I'm not a spring expert.

What had failed?

It was out of calibration. I thought of recalibrating it, but with a lifetime warranty and the fact that I'm at CT once a week anyway it made sense to just get a new wrench. As the new wrench warranty period was reduced to 1Y, I'll be recalibrating it next time, if required.

Back
Top Bottom