Good food on the road . During these trying times . | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Good food on the road . During these trying times .

With a stop at Earlidale meats for some pepperettes for a snack on the ride :)
Only problem is you burp them up for the rest of the day in your helmet.

Anyone every try A fork in the road along HWY 27?

I keep saying I need to do a ride to Heberts Fisheries in Killarney to see if its worth all the hype, maybe this year.

I keep saying I need to do a ride to Heberts Fisheries in Killarney to see if its worth all the hype, maybe this year.
Been there a few times. EVERY time i was there the Bears were a concern. Even in daytime.

If that's the place that runs out of a converted school bus at the marina, it's definitely worth it (as of 7 years ago - my last visit).

Went to Camp 31 in Paris on the weekend.
Was somewhat underwhelmed. Huge "winner of xxx" banners, crap posted all over....
simply put, just too much sauce on everything. People I was with ordered across the board. Everyone had too much sauce.

Is it good BBQ? Sure. It's decent. I'm a smoking/bbq snob by all admission. When compared to the Notorious P.I.G. or the Haywood Smokehouse in North Carolina, it's really, really bland.

If that's the place that runs out of a converted school bus at the marina, it's definitely worth it (as of 7 years ago - my last visit).
School bus is long gone. I've eaten there a couple dozen times over the years. Prices now are crazy. Only game in town.
I've been camping yearly in Killarney for over 30 years. Well I may have missed a few.

Been there a few times. EVERY time i was there the Bears were a concern. Even in daytime.
Yup, seen bears running through town more than once.

Purdy's at the Bend - in Grand Bend is great for perch and chips. It's opposite the strip so very little traffic. Also you can watch people trying to back up at the boat launch while you dine.

Purdy's at the Bend - in Grand Bend is great for perch and chips. It's opposite the strip so very little traffic. Also you can watch people trying to back up at the boat launch while you dine.

That reminds me Aunt Gussie in GB does good food.

Crazy Canucks in St Jacobs. Best Burger and Fresh Cut Fries in Waterloo Region.

Rosemont General Store. Pizza, butter tarts n beer. What else can you ask for. Bring your top box, you will definatly want to bring a homemade pie home

Last edited:
I don't know if it's still open but the cheese store in Flesherton makes some great grilled cheese's.

Crazy Canucks in St Jacobs. Best Burger and Fresh Cut Fries in Waterloo Region.

Rosemont General Store. Pizza, butter tarts n beer. What else can you ask for. Bring your top box, you will definatly want to bring a homemade pie home

Love The Crazy Canuck! I searched high and low for good food at a decent price near UW, and now I stop in whenever I'm there. Their Smoked Meat (pulled pork and a few ribs) Poutine is probably the best value on their menu. It's humongous!

Love The Crazy Canuck! I searched high and low for good food at a decent price near UW, and now I stop in whenever I'm there. Their Smoked Meat (pulled pork and a few ribs) Poutine is probably the best value on their menu. It's humongous!
I'll have to try that. It's 2 min from my place.

I'll have to try that. It's 2 min from my place.
Nice! I'll have to ping you next time I'm out that way. Would be nice to catch up after all these years, social distancing allowing.

Hmmm. It's for business so maybe it's allowed. I think they're allowed hydro in the barns. That said I had a bunch of Mennonite women in the store, and suggested they try our other store when what they wanted wasn't in. Go out in the parking lot and they're on their cell phones trying to find the second store online. New order Mennonites?

Amish / Mennonite confusion:

The Amish look like the older version of the Anabaptist sects but they are actually the newer. They split off when they felt the Mennonites were getting too modern.

In either case the use of modern conveniences is subject to the decisions made by the local hierarchy. The allowable use of electricity in the older order groups is based on using anything that makes them dependent on an earthly power. The grid is single source. Generator fuel can be purchased from numerous suppliers.

Land lines are off limits but with cell phones you can have different suppliers. A friend got a call from a Mennonite and he could hear the clip clop of the horse hooves.

Some old order types have rules against having their pictures taken so no driver's license and no car to be tied to a single government.

Holmes county Ohio is good riding and eating with no shortage of Amish. The best apple fritters IMO are at the Amish Door in Winesburg.

I asked one farmer why the hay mower was pulled by horses but the mower itself had a Honda engine working the blades. The reply was they also evaluate how a modern device will affect the balance between family and the family farm. If too many labour saving devices are added there isn't enough work on the farm and it's seen as the thin edge of the family splitting wedge.

The Hutterites are another Anabaptist sect but they are leading edge modern with farming. The downside is they are communal. You can be there for fifty years working the land for room and board and if you decide to leave you go with pretty much just the shirt on your back. Not a big enrollment lineup.

It's hard to wrap ones head around the lifestyle. One older Amish farmer I spoke with had lost his wife to some disease and had remarried. He commented with some frustration about his new wife "She's a good woman but she wants to visit her family every weekend and they live thirteen miles away."

Thirteen miles each way in the winter in a buggy......................

The hot turkey sandwich at The Cove in Westport is pretty good. The cuban food truck in Almonte serves very decent food at great prices too. The 38 special food truck outside SFRC in Harrowsmith has great poutine. In Calabogie the Red Neck Bistro has always had really good food when I’ve been there. The coffee at Equator coffee roasters in Almonte has unbeatable coffee...seriously.

Some really unique places have been closed for a while. One of the most unusual was Buddha Dogs in Picton that made homemade gourmet hot dogs in a variety of different flavours.

Back
Top Bottom