Ghetto helmet holder/lock | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ghetto helmet holder/lock

TK4

The new ride doesn't have a helmet holder.
I don't normally use one but sometimes when you're just running into the bank or something its handy.
I was rummaging through my basement box of 'stuff' and came across an old trailer hitch pin lock.
Fits around the hand rail - booyah we have a winner !

lock.jpg

Nice. Have been thinking about something for the Tuono, and the obvious solution was a cable lock, but there's always so much slack. Will look for something similar that can loop around the space in the passenger peg...

Reactions: TK4
Before I had a beer box to put my lid in I used to carry a gun bolt cable lock.

1620513761659.png
They're really short so they don't take a lot of space in your saddlebags or wherever, the cable is rubber coated so it won't scratch whatever you wrap it around, and the end is small enough to loop through your helmets D-Ring and then lock to some solid object on your bike. I went around the handebars in a spot where it couldn't be slid up and over.

I got it at a yardsale for a few bucks but I think they're pretty cheap on Amazon.

I have coiled cable lock. It can snake through the arm of a jacket(s) a couple lids and then get locked.

It's pretty easy to make a cable lock of any length with coated steel cable and a couple of aluminum cable swage sleeves. Make a small loop at each end of the cable with the swage sleeves. Crush the sleeves in a vice to crimp them, cover the sleeves in heatshrink wrap to keep them from scratching stuff, and run a padlock through the end loops.

The problem with anything cable for me, is a) storage on the Tuono couldn't even hold a fart, and b) I'm looking for something where I can hang the helmet from a passenger peg (pretty much the only solid point on the tail) without having to balance it on the seat or be precariously close to the ground.

A clip like @TK4 uses means I could potentially leave it locked on when I ride (as long as it doesn't bounce around too much) and it keeps the d-ring on the helmet as tight and short as possible, keeping my lid off the greasy chain or the ground...

The problem with anything cable for me, is a) storage on the Tuono couldn't even hold a fart, and b) I'm looking for something where I can hang the helmet from a passenger peg (pretty much the only solid point on the tail) without having to balance it on the seat or be precariously close to the ground.

A clip like @TK4 uses means I could potentially leave it locked on when I ride (as long as it doesn't bounce around too much) and it keeps the d-ring on the helmet as tight and short as possible, keeping my lid off the greasy chain or the ground...
And its small enough to tuck in your jacket pocket when you don't want to use it.

Helmet Hook. Attaches onto the end of the bars. One guy makes them and sells them. Wouldn’t do without one, ingeniously simple and works and you can lock it with a padlock if you really want to.

Won't break the bank either.

Helmet Hook. Attaches onto the end of the bars. One guy makes them and sells them. Wouldn’t do without one, ingeniously simple and works and you can lock it with a padlock if you really want to.

Won't break the bank either.
And you drive off having to readjust your mirror.

? Never had to readjust my mirrors. I guess it depends if you have bar end mirrors.

The hook fits inbetween the bar end weights/hand guard attachments and my bars for me. The guy gives you fitting tips for most situations. On my bike it took about 5 mins to fit it and that was mainly because the bar end screw was loctited in a bit. The way it’s fitted it rotates in the vertical plane freely. Honestly, I can’t recommend it enough. It should be OEM kit on every bike.

I've been using the Helmet Guardian for about 15 years and really like it. Allows me to lock up 2 helmets to free up the luggage, but it's not suitable for transporting a spare helmet.

Back
Top Bottom