Gear recommendations | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gear recommendations

timtune

Site Supporter
Some of my gear is getting a little long in the tooth and could use replacement. I'd like to hear some suggestions for the following:

Rain gear- I have a well used set of FrogToggs. They still work but not as well as when new. The fabric has "pilled" badly and looks rough. They pack reasonably small which is a key need.

Boots - I've taken to wearing my work boots when riding on DualSport trips. Reasonable protection and they're comfy for walking. I'd really like something that's a cross between MX boots and my work boots. Basically lots of protection and good for walking. Is there such a boot.

Jacket and pants - My pants are lined in a "plastic" fabric that does not breath. On hot days I can't stop for long without needing to take them off. That said I like having them on (ATGATT) for protection from minor get offs.
Is there any good spring, fall winter set up that would let me use my cold weather bike gear on my sled? I have a mesh jacket for hot stuff.

I'm not looking to go broke buying new stuff but I am willing to pay for for the right stuff.

Thanks

Some of my gear is getting a little long in the tooth and could use replacement. I'd like to hear some suggestions for the following:

Rain gear- I have a well used set of FrogToggs. They still work but not as well as when new. The fabric has "pilled" badly and looks rough. They pack reasonably small which is a key need.

Boots - I've taken to wearing my work boots when riding on DualSport trips. Reasonable protection and they're comfy for walking. I'd really like something that's a cross between MX boots and my work boots. Basically lots of protection and good for walking. Is there such a boot.

Jacket and pants - My pants are lined in a "plastic" fabric that does not breath. On hot days I can't stop for long without needing to take them off. That said I like having them on (ATGATT) for protection from minor get offs.
Is there any good spring, fall winter set up that would let me use my cold weather bike gear on my sled? I have a mesh jacket for hot stuff.

I'm not looking to go broke buying new stuff but I am willing to pay for for the right stuff.

Thanks

Just geared up a bit myself this season.

rain jacket - $90

Boots - $139

I bought the Alpinestars Hurricane jacket and pants a couple years ago and they have kept me dry through some pretty heavy rains. They pack down small in their compression sacks and aren’t heavy so you don’t overheat and fog up your visor in a summer rain. The only downside is the pants are a pain to put on and take off over boots.

These work ....the Italians know how to do boots.

balance-pro-tech-boots.jpg

Good protection but slimmer toe piece than motocross boots and easy to walk in,
Not so cheap tho.

Very similar, slightly softer leather will not require break-in, also won't wear as long but the soles are nicer, the toe is a little easier to put under a street bike shift lever then the gaerne
shopping

And don't overlook oilskin outerwear, it's awesome.

Forma are good boots, think i might be year 3 on mine. Commuting and even days in the Ganny they are very comfortable and fairly waterproof.

Forma-Adventure-Low-Boots-BROWN_ml.jpgForma-Adventure-Low-Boots-BROWN_ml.jpg

Reactions: J_F
Rain Gear - I too have Frogg Toggs that have limited life but are good in almost every other way. My surprize pièce de résistance find was at Canadian Tire and my Wetskins suit (jacket and pants). I once toured for 2 weeks in solid cold heavy rain and it stood up excellently and was dry and strong.

^ I have those same boots, Forma Adventure Low
really happy with them

good protection, very comfortable- needed zero break in
slim enough in the forefoot that they are not a hindrance with controls

outer leather gets wet - looks wet, dry as toast inside
but if you want waterproof, they're gonna be warm

on a 30+ day you're gonna want to leave them outside for a bit after a long day

I'm really leaning towards a pair of Klim goretex pants for all weather riding
I don't mind stopping to throw on a jacket water proof outer

but I really hate baggy over pants that you put on at the side of the road

Rain jacket - I'm looking for both jacket and pants. Also I notice the jacket has no hood. I wanta hood for two reasons 1) if you put the hood up before putting on your lid you get zero water down your back 2) we do a lot of rough camping and if it's rainy you need the hood too

Boots - probably good protection but because I ride a lot of dual sport stuff I was hoping for something gnarlyer.

I bought the Alpinestars Hurricane jacket and pants a couple years ago and they have kept me dry through some pretty heavy rains. They pack down small in their compression sacks and aren’t heavy so you don’t overheat and fog up your visor in a summer rain. The only downside is the pants are a pain to put on and take off over boots.
The one (or one of ) the good things about the frogtoggs was the ability to slip the pants on over my boots. Lets face it rain gear is something you usually put on at the side of the road in the rain.

I'm likeing the garne and forma high tops. As I said we ride lots of dual sport and I like the idea of having good shin protection

The one (or one of ) the good things about the frogtoggs was the ability to slip the pants on over my boots. Lets face it rain gear is something you usually put on at the side of the road in the rain.
Nothing better than taking boots off and doing the one legged hop on the side of the road trying not to step in a puddle. If Alpinestars just made the bottom zipper another inch or two longer the pants would be perfect.

I had a couple pairs of Sidi boots for dirt but that’s going back over ten years and I loved them. I’ll be looking into a pair of them for the track and eventually when I get back on the dirt those and Gaerne will be the two contenders.

I like the First Gear - Sierra line for ability to put the pants on at the side of the road because there is a high zipper up the calf. They also have a hood on the jacket. It's not that cheap, but it keeps my wallet dry while riding in heavy rain for days on end.
Jacket: Firstgear Sierra Day Glo Rain Jacket - RevZilla
Pants: Firstgear Sierra Day Glo Rain Pants - RevZilla

For boots, I'm now wearing Daytona Roadstar GTX, because I find them to be the perfect blend of comfort, weather protection and overall protection for the street... but I think they may not be gnarly enough for off road.
Boots: Daytona Road Star GTX Boots - RevZilla

Shane, how long have you had the Sierra rain gear? Is it holding up well. $250 for a set of rain gear means it would need to last me a good number of years. (please tell me Revzilla pricing is in CAN$ - north of 300$ for rain gear is out of my league)

You know those extra plastic or leather patches they stick on the toe of the boot to stop the levers from wearing through the leather,
:/ In my experience they are all totally useless, I've never had a pair of boots wear through in any of those places. ymmv but I doubt it.

Shane, how long have you had the Sierra rain gear? Is it holding up well. $250 for a set of rain gear means it would need to last me a good number of years. (please tell me Revzilla pricing is in CAN$ - north of 300$ for rain gear is out of my league)
I didn't buy it from Revzilla, but I bought it from a now closed down store in New Hampshire called Whitehorse Gear. I only bought it because another rider I was with was using it and spoke very highly of it. I bought it in 2014 and back then I was paying around $80US per item from the store. I personally think the gear is holding up really well. There are no rips or tears and I've been completely dry every time I use it. The year after I bought it, I did a fall colours ride down to Deals Gap and over that 8 day trip it probably rained for 6-7 days and often the rain was pretty heavy for days on end. The gear performed exactly as it should.

Amazon.com might also sell it for cheaper, but yes, it's pricey compared to other stuff on the market.

Not sure where you are located, but if you want to check it out in person before you commit to an online purchase, you are more than welcome to swing by and see mine for yourself. I'm in Mississauga, so just PM if interested.

Rain jacket - I'm looking for both jacket and pants. Also I notice the jacket has no hood. I wanta hood for two reasons 1) if you put the hood up before putting on your lid you get zero water down your back 2) we do a lot of rough camping and if it's rainy you need the hood too

Boots - probably good protection but because I ride a lot of dual sport stuff I was hoping for something gnarlyer.
I have a pair of the Forma Adventure high, not a lot of protection in them, especially the ankle area.
This year I bought Forma Terra, much better protection, waterproof, and comfortable. They aren't as protective as full mx boots, but I can walk in them comfortably. They are likely closer to what you're looking for.
94cd199df6275713570ce8f33a89e1bd.jpg

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Not sure on your budget, however AS make some great Dual sport stuff. they used to make stuff for Klim, and know the ins and outs, at better prices. Most of the gear is also made in the EU.

I find most Mosko stuff over priced, though they make decent gear too

Rain jacket: BMW Rainlock BMW RainLock Jacket - RevZilla
Breathable, has a hoodie which I like.

Rain pants: MEC Drencher MEC Drencher Pants - Men's
These were made for bicycling, but they are perfect for motorcycling as well. Has reflective piping for rain/night and you can't beat the price

Boots: BMW All-Round BMW Allround Boots (39) | 30% ($80.00) Off! - RevZilla
Gore-Tex, but most importantly they are super-comfortable to walk around in

Gloves: I used to wear Aerostich Triple-Digit Covers Aerostich Triple Digit Covers :: Aerostich Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear
They're ok. When we were in Japan, I found a company called Montbell, they make the same thing, but a five-fingered version, which I find more comfortable than the Ninja overgloves.

Back
Top Bottom