Gas station poll (just for fun) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gas station poll (just for fun)

Was having a conversation with friends of mine the other night which spawned this question. I have seen it twice in the past 5 years where a motorcyclist has lost their footing when they pulled up to the gas pump either on oil/antifreeze/kitty litter etc and getting pinned between the bike and the pump so....

Do you pull up to the pump with the
A. Kickstand facing the pump?
B. Kickstand facing away from the pump?
C. Don’t get off the bike and do everything while still sitting on it (fill and pay)

REMEMBER THIS IS JUST FOR FUN.

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually, kick stand on left. That way i can see the pump. As I say," 2 cents for me, 8 cents for the Government. Lol.

Dribbled some gas on myself once with C, never again. Usually A.

Generally A but B if it's convenient. C seems like it would be more cumbersome then just getting off the bike at "self serve" and most full serve offer me the pump handle anyway.

I always pull in kickstand towards the pump, license plate facing the store...I've been refused fuel because the attendant couldn't see my plate.

I leave a few feet of space from the pump in case I need to get off, I've stopped too close and couldn't do it lol, and drop the kickstand. Remove my gloves in case of spills (fuel on leather gloves sucks), get payment ready then fuel up sitting upright on the bike.

I miss having a centre stand, that's the way to go to refuel imo.

EDIT : sorry, I was rambling on lol...my answer is C

Last edited:
I always pull in kickstand towards the pump, license plate facing the store...I've been refused fuel because the attendant couldn't see my plate.

I leave a few feet of space from the pump in case I need to get off, I've stopped too close and couldn't do it lol, and drop the kickstand. Remove my gloves in case of spills (fuel on leather gloves sucks), get payment ready then fuel up sitting upright on the bike.

I miss having a centre stand, that's the way to go to refuel imo.
What the blazes. I have a centre stand and no way in hell I’m going to bother doing that for fuel!

Normally C, sometimes B, rarely A. If you are staying on the bike while refueling, I put the kickstand down and want room on my left to bail on the tiny chance something goes very wrong. C sometimes gets you yelled at. Most of the time when refueling I am either on the bike or center stand down. I hate stopping for gas, more gas means less stops.

I've done all three.

Sure you save some time if you don't get off the bike, but the real benefit to me for staying on the bike is getting as much gas into the tank as possible by keeping it upright. Unfortunately, most of the bikes I've owned, I can only get one toe on the ground at a time, so balancing it that way while gassing up is not a safe option. So I get off and put it on the centerstand if I really want that extra half a liter or so, especially for those extra-long, multi-fill-up riding days. I used to stay on the bike when I could get at least a toe down on both sides.

But getting off also lets me stretch my legs, since I tend to ride long distances and use fill-ups as a break. Got nothing but time these days.

Also, it's illegal to gas up while on the bike, but who even cares about that, right?

Kick stand towards or away is really a function of which side is available. I can gas up from either side, it's not a big deal. Easier to peer into the tank when the kickstand is facing the pump, but I'm not going to do a U-turn if there are other cars waiting and someone behind me thinks I'm just pulling through the bay and takes my spot.

The only time I've had to park kick stand away from the pump is when I'm riding one of the BMW F-series bikes which has the gas flap on the side of the bike, behind the seat:

top view.jpg

Also, some Harleys I've ridden have had the gas cap under the seat, so that kind of forces you to get off the bike as well.

Well, you could gas up while standing up on the pegs, but then it looks like you're peeing on your bike.

Well I’m certainly shocked to see people using the centre stand for fill ups. I must have missed the memo from the centre stand club!

Well I’m certainly shocked to see people using the centre stand for fill ups. I must have missed the memo from the centre stand club!

If you ride in some remote areas and you don't know where the next gas station will be, you'll be trying to squeeze every last ounce of gas in your tank and jerry can as well.

In northern Alaska, they close half of the gas stations in the fall and winter, so the distances between open pumps are calibrated for car and truck fuel tanks - roughly every 500 kms. They don't think that motorcyclists, with their tiny tanks, will be coming up in September...

They were wrong.

atigun.jpg

DSCN9833-L.jpg

Usually A but sometimes B , depending on which pumps are free, in shade, etc. Mostly I'm keeping an eye on the ground to make sure I don't ride through anything slippery like oil or coolant. Don't want that crap on my tires.

If I'm in a hurry and things are set up for it (i.e. wallet or cards are handy and not under the seat), I occasionally do C, but I'm usually happy to get off and stretch my legs...

Back
Top Bottom