garmin zumo xt? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

garmin zumo xt?

As much as I love my dedicated GPS unit, I think with TFT display screens becoming more common, we're eventually going to see BT integration with smartphone-based GPSes. It makes no sense to have two separate screens when you can merge them. That way, your phone is safe in a pocket or somewhere in a pannier where it won't be exposed to the elements.

BMW already is experimenting with casting the maps app from your phone to the TFT on the R1250RT:

View attachment 59283
Wireless carplay/aa works in cars. Only a matter of time that it makes it to bikes. I would say that I dont mind a plug (reliable and keeps phone charged) but I want a cell phone in my pocket in case the bike and I have gone in separate directions. USB into coat seems like it wouldnt last long.

Wireless carplay/aa works in cars. Only a matter of time that it makes it to bikes. I would say that I dont mind a plug (reliable and keeps phone charged) but I want a cell phone in my pocket in case the bike and I have gone in separate directions. USB into coat seems like it wouldnt last long.

Yeah, the R1250RT smartphone integration is already wireless via Bluetooth.

Also has wireless smartphone charging in the storage compartment should you decide to keep it there instead of a pocket.

Surprised no one is working on a stand alone android auto screen only. Would replace the dedicated gps.

Sent from the future

Yeah, as GG mentioned, Android Auto/Apple Carplay is already an existing standard, why try to reinvent the wheel?
Undercut garmin pricing for older bikes? You are handing off the hard work to the phone and letting it get all the updates. That should cut expenses on the development/maintenance. Design once, sell for many years?

Undercut garmin pricing for older bikes? You are handing off the hard work to the phone and letting it get all the updates. That should cut expenses on the development/maintenance. Design once, sell for many years?
It exists I spoke to soon

Sent from the future

I just read something recently that says Carplay integration isn't all that cut and dried:

Ignore all that subscription stuff, and apparently BMW is happier doing the smartphone dev work instead of trying to make every iteration of Carplay work with their cars.

Article is over three year old though, so take it with a grain of salt.

It exists I spoke to soon

Sent from the future

Ugh.

That's not what I thought you meant.

Other than having your phone exposed to the elements, I don't see the benefit of mirroring your phone screen on yet another device in addition to the TFT. IMO, that device makes no sense to me. Integrate it to the TFT instead if your bike is so equipped.

Ugh.

That's not what I thought you meant.

Other than having your phone exposed to the elements, I don't see the benefit of mirroring your phone screen on yet another device in addition to the TFT. IMO, that device makes no sense to me. Integrate it to the TFT instead if your bike is so equipped.
Tft integration makes sense if the bike has one of sufficient size and resolution. What percentage of bikes in canada dont have that? My guess is >95%. I like waze. Even at even money, I would probably buy a screen like that instead of a garmin (assuming the screen wasnt a steaming turd).

Tft integration makes sense if the bike has one of sufficient size and resolution. What percentage of bikes in canada dont have that? My guess is >95%. I like waze. Even at even money, I would probably buy a screen like that instead of a garmin (assuming the screen wasnt a steaming turd).

That's where the convergence of device functionality plays a factor.

At $350, you're already approaching a full-featured, dedicated GPS, which can probably perform all the mp3, streaming, satellite radio, weather and traffic updates as well as your smartphone with AA/Carplay.

Yeah, I know it's not Waze...

Personally I can't see paying that money for a phone proxy/relay so you can have a weatherproof, glove-friendly interface for your smartphone. I think it's just me.

I don't have a tft screen I ordered one from Ali express for ***** and giggles. Maybe my next bike will have tft.

Sent from the future

At $350, you're already approaching a full-featured, dedicated GPS, which can probably perform all the mp3, satellite radio, weather and traffic updates as well as your smartphone with AA/Carplay.

Personally I can't see paying that money for a phone proxy/relay so you can have a weatherproof, glove-friendly interface for your smartphone. I think it's just me.
It was under 200 cad with shipping my tom tom rider is a turd if this works better it will be a win and let's me use Waze or maps while riding. Phone can live in my pocket or top box.

Sent from the future

It was under 200 cad with shipping my tom tom rider is a turd if this works better it will be a win and let's me use Waze or maps while riding. Phone can live in my pocket or top box.

Sent from the future

Okay, keep us updated on how that works out. At that price, I'm genuinely curious. My enduro has a 1 inch LCD screen...

At $350, you're already approaching a full-featured, dedicated GPS, which can probably perform all the mp3, streaming, satellite radio, weather and traffic updates as well as your smartphone with AA/Carplay.

I have zero interest in mp3, streaming, satellite radio, etc.. My last experience with garmin traffic (quite a while ago) was that it was a feature in name only and almost useless. That could obviously have improved. Interface, screen visibility and waze are what I need (for now, waze will get passed at some point).

My XT got my girlfriend and i from KW to Gananoque to Ottawa, back to Gananoque and then home to KW Tues, Wed, Thurs in a lot of nasty traffic during the snow this week. The traffic routing worked flawlessly and she learned how to edit the route on the fly having never used a gps before. The XT is very user friendly.

I have been using a Gps for ages. Never had a problem with anything being stolen off the bike. Only park where I can see the bike. In a few instances when I cannot see the bike. I park always where there are fellow bikers. Therefore, nothing is ever going to be stolen. Trust. I throw my jacket over the Gps. problem over.

Another option is the Zumo 590/595. The 590 firmware can be upgraded fairly easily to 595 and otherwise they're identical. Also they have support for Garmin's TPMS which the XT removed.

Here's a 590 on kijiji for $450 OBO, might be a good deal

My tiger has a TFT and turn by turn directions, but the implementation is clumsy.
You need to log into the map software on the phone and set the route there.
It then gives arrows to show which direction and where to turn, but no map.
There is a spot under the seat to accommodate and charge the phone,
but if you want to change the destination, you then need to remove the seat.
It also will sync the bike with a phone, bluetooth headset, gps and specific cameras.
Implementation has seemed kludgy so far.
For a while I had a particular song on Spotify blast at full volume every time I hopped on the bike.
Phone was connected to bike, which was connected to headset.
When I connected everything through the GPS, I might have done the headset & phone backwards,
so they don't work exactly the way that they should, and I can't get music now.

Back
Top Bottom