Ganaraska Forest is Closed Until further notice | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ganaraska Forest is Closed Until further notice

I agree that it's silly and inconsistent to close the forest entirely. Most mountain bike trails (like Dagmar, not far from the Ganny BTW) have posted notices that while parking is closed and the areas ares are un-maintained/policed, mountain biking and responsible hiking activity is permissible as long as proper precautions are taken.... Same should apply here.

(In general, forrest access is mismanaged causing tremendous revenue leakage... 90% of the users don't buy passes because there isn't a ranger in sight, but this is a soapbox session for another time...)

I'm still going to rock my shirt though, because when it's open granny is AWESOME: :LOL::
1588355354182.png

Did anyone for riding today? Last year at this time you would have been lucky to get a parking spot if you didn't get there good and early. Unfortunately or fortunately I stayed at home and instead spent the day on my mountain bike.

I heard from friends who live nearby it was mostly empty. Only people riding in there are locals who don’t have to park in conspicuous areas. I rode by Ganny at one point a few weeks ago sort of doing the Bethany route on my 450 and the conditions do look ideal. Here’s hoping things get better.

While I understand the motivation of keeping people from engaging in what could be considered potentially high risk activities (mountain biking, motorsports & horseback) in the forests and I grudgingly accept it I can't get my head around closing the forest to walking and hiking.

In the case of the Ganaraska it's 10,000 acres. The E2 trail alone is 19 + km long, if you can't social distance in a forest.....

They've closed the sidewalks that run along the Ganaraska river in downtown Port Hope, yet on Sunday I counted 22 cars parked along Dale Rd. with people fishing up and down the banks. I'm sure they took all the necessary precautions and nobody was there stopping them (and I don't see any need to stop them), but it makes me question real efficacy of these closures.

Unfortunately it seems regulations become a substitute for common sense, empathy and basic intelligence in many charged with enforcing them.

While I understand the motivation of keeping people from engaging in what could be considered potentially high risk activities (mountain biking, motorsports & horseback) in the forests and I grudgingly accept it I can't get my head around closing the forest to walking and hiking.

In the case of the Ganaraska it's 10,000 acres. The E2 trail alone is 19 + km long, if you can't social distance in a forest.....

They've closed the sidewalks that run along the Ganaraska river in downtown Port Hope, yet on Sunday I counted 22 cars parked along Dale Rd. with people fishing up and down the banks. I'm sure they took all the necessary precautions and nobody was there stopping them (and I don't see any need to stop them), but it makes me question real efficacy of these closures.

Unfortunately it seems regulations become a substitute for common sense, empathy and basic intelligence in many charged with enforcing them.
Yup. Again, they should not be picking and choosing activities as winners and losers. At this point it should be stay 6' apart and try not to do excessively risky activities.

If they let hikers in, those with bikes will be in in right behind them. Legal or not. Same goes for parks in the city. There is no way of controlling the numbers. It will be really tough allowing restaurants to open at 50 percent. The next couple of months is going to be really tough.

So far Simcoe County Forest and Northumberland are opening up this weekend. Ganaraska web site says they are still closed!! Does anyone
know anything?

So far Simcoe County Forest and Northumberland are opening up this weekend. Ganaraska web site says they are still closed!! Does anyone
know anything?
Check the regional health units web site for more localized status and updates.

... found this on the ontario parks website for what it's worth:
"On Monday May 11, 520 provincial parks and conservation reserves across the province will open, and the remaining 115 (operating parks) will open on the following Friday, May 15 for limited day-use activities."

Last edited:
If you are headed into the woods this weekend plan on having to deal with two things, Blackflies so thick they will carry you away and Ticks.

Message from the Forest!

"In an effort to keep our community healthy, GRCA’s Ganaraska Forest and conservation areas will open in phases. As an update, staff are preparing to open all areas and the Ganaraska Forest to hiking on May 22, 2020. Phase 2 will allow non-motorized uses on May 29, followed by motorized and all uses by June 5. It is to be noted that trails in the Millennium Conservation Area in Port Hope will become one way."

I'm not as familiar with Ganraska as some of you here. If anyone has a mid-size ADV bike and knows some trails such bikes can navigate, I'd be glad to tag along the trails (at a safe distance off course lol). Just looking to spend more time off-road this summer

I'm not as familiar with Ganraska as some of you here. If anyone has a mid-size ADV bike and knows some trails such bikes can navigate, I'd be glad to tag along the trails (at a safe distance off course lol). Just looking to spend more time off-road this summer

Where are you coming from?
I usually ride further north in the Kawarthas between Kinmount and Gooderham. There are tons of trails and exhilarating fire roads that are suitable for big bikes up there.

Where are you coming from?
I usually ride further north in the Kawarthas between Kinmount and Gooderham. There are tons of trails and exhilarating fire roads that are suitable for big bikes up there.

Coming from Mississauga, I've done the dirt bike gig with trail tours there and it was really fun. I'm open to overnight or 2 day trips, got camping gear and all too. Just don't know the trails too well, and hear it's easy to get lost, and god knows I've been watching too many Survivorman episodes on Youtube now ?

There's a lot of sandy spots on the wide trails and when I see KLR650's and other mid-size ADV bikes in the singletrack not many of them look like they're having fun. Ganny wouldn't be my first choice for trails on a ADV bike. I'm in there 2-3 times a week and know the trails quite well so that's coming from experience.
Go a bit farther east and put in around Harwood Road on the 108 trail and continue east on it. You'll hae to divert on roads to continue on trails in spots but imo it'll be more fun.

Got this e-mail yesterday from trail Tours!

"
Time to get back on the trails!
The staff at Trail Tours are ready to get you back on the trails this Spring safely and worry free. It has been a long, strange winter and we have been working hard to get ready for the 2020 riding season.

Many of our customers are excited to return to the trails and get out into nature again. The pure physical joy of riding can provide much needed relief during these stressful times.

To protect customers and staff and ensure compliance with Provincial regulations we have modified our procedures, and sanitation protocols.

We opened last week with some provisions to limit the number of riders and maintain social distancing. Until the forest re-opens we will be limited to half day rides at our expanded facility.

Tthe Ganaraska forest is closed and will re-open June 5th. Until then rides will be held at our expanded camp including several new trail loops: single track, double track and trials courses for more technical riding. We will return to riding in the Ganaraska forest when it re-opens. Rides through other trail system are available this week and into the season, contact Steve for details steve@trailtour.com

ATV Rides will resume when Ganaraska forest opens.

With your co-operation and support we can continue to provide the best and most exciting trail riding experiences, while keeping you safe and healthy.

Check out trailtours.ca for the latest updates and to book rides.

Before you come, or even if you can't get out for a ride right away, check out our Youtube Channel for some trail riding tips.

Thanks for your continued support, looking forward to seeing you on the trails!"

Back
Top Bottom