FZR"400" project build | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

FZR"400" project build

Man I am half way done with fixing the harness and I have a massive pile of extra electrical tape and wires beside me. I'll take a picture of the final pile later and weigh it lol.

This is what I started with.
photo-1260.jpg

|
|
\/
Then it became this.
photo-2363.jpg

|
|
\/
Then finally we have
photo-2065.jpg

Trying to get the harness crimp free and all soldered so it's not so clunky. Also I don't trust crimped connections but that's just me. Plus it will be much easier to handle the harness and route through the bike and the skinny R6 subframe.

I am almost done rewiring the whole thing. But I've put in about 11 hours on this today so I decided to call it a night. Hopefully tommorow morning I can get to fixing the rest of the harness. I did however make the headlight wiring harness part and tested and it's functional. Still gotta test signals front and back. I also tested the R1 guage and that is functional. So I am pleased. The harness is much smaller now after taking out like 50 crimped connections so far. Got probably like 15 more to pull and solder and I'll be all done.

crap like this drives me nuts. All the wires are coming from one harness and then one random wire to the same plug is going to the other harness. It doesn't make any god damn sense. I wish I could smack the privous owner for this kind of crap.
photo-331.jpg

Made my own dog bones. Not the best looking dog bones, but they are actually thicker (read WAY thicker in both axis) than the stock GSXR750 ones and are made from T6 6061 aluminum so I think they will be ok.
photo-751.jpg

This is the final stance of the bike. The stock kickstand is at the perfect height, so this tells me I haven't lost/gained any height in the bike (someone correct me if I am wrong).
photo-2395.jpg

photo-1805.jpg

photo-821.jpg

photo-205.jpg

photo-1353.jpg

The 04/05s I have are 600/750s and they are the showas... it even says in the table you posted lol.

Anyways small update:
Just working on the headlight brackets and such. Gotta wait for tuesday to get me some 1/4" T6 aluminum stock to make some custom dogbones out of. Other than that I still have to clean the tank out there is some very mild surface rust, in fact I don't know if it's just dust or rust. And Then I gotta strip the tank of paint, and I also gotta get my hands on some tail fairings for an 06 07 R6.
www.r6-forum.com

There should be some deals to be had there. I did a little searching and I've seen a couple things, but don't know what you can work with.

www.r6-forum.com

There should be some deals to be had there. I did a little searching and I've seen a couple things, but don't know what you can work with.

Thx jib. Just ordered some parts off the wera forums.

But I did find that you can ask the chinese fairing makers to make you certian pieces. For example I got quoted $85 US shipped for the tail piece (top and bottom) in gloss black.

If you were closer I would shoot some primer on it for you (I think your close to london?). Have you thought of any ideas for painting, straight black still your thought?

Ya I am in London. Moving to Milton next month. I think I am going to stick with a nice gloss black. I almost gave in and did the yamaha royal blue to match the tail piece that I got coming in the mail but my front fender is black. And I think I might just order a chinese tail fairing. I got quoted 85USD shipped for a tail and undertail made in gloss black for me. So I might do that. So I just need to get paint the tank and get it presentable lol.

You need that zinc coating. Protects freshly stripped/blasted metal from rusting.

You need that zinc coating. Protects freshly stripped/blasted metal from rusting.

You mean galvanizing? Or is there like some cream I can rub on there? I've been keeping it dry and I don't see any rust developing and its been about 24h now.

Disregard what i wrote previously LOL, more trouble then not for a short term.

Last edited:
No the zinc coating is a spray can. It's greenish when it comes out. It's good for when you have something sitting for a while. Then you just sand it off and throw primer on it. Primer likes to absorb water, so it's not really good to have something primered for a long time.

Ok got my coolant resevoir done. And basically done the headlight mount. Just gotta cut off the extra material. Also gotta think up how to mount up my ninja's turn signals.

Rad overflow hose shoved through bottle top I drilled a hole in.
photo-779.jpg

Pour 5 minute epoxy on to hold it in place and keep it water tight.
photo-2159.jpg

Pulling the plug out, god bless the inventor of duct tape
photo-2042.jpg

Bottle mounted. This isn't the final mounting by any means, just getting a taste of what's to come. Any ideas on what to use to strap it to the bottom of the tail would be appreciated, because I need to do my remote resevoir in a similar fashion
photo-307.jpg

photo-1329.jpg

Starting to look finished.
photo-2356.jpg

headlight mounted
photo-2345.jpg

That was part of my post I got rid of, the primer part. In the long run primer protects nothing.

Going with gloss black on the tank. I am going to get a friend of a friend here to spray it for me.

I also ordered caswell tank repair phenol novasomethingorother epoxy should be here later this week.

When and got fasteners and spacers for my rearsets. These are the stock 400 rearsets, but I am looking for 05 06 GSXR1000 rearsets chinese or used what ever I want to spend under $150 on them so I'll wait for the right deal to come by.

So all that is left is to get my pod filters on. Solder the hand control wiring once I know my current set up will fire the engine up. Rear subframe mount gotta get welded. Get the tank back and coat it. Finish guage bracket I have no idea how I want to mount that yet. And that's it. She will be done.
photo-1850.jpg

photo-2126.jpg

photo-1122.jpg

photo-1850.jpg

Finished the headlight setup. I couldn't be happier with it. I'll probably paint it black or blue later. But for now I am extremely satisfied with it. It' is extremely firm despite only have one arm, instead of two for stability. It's mounted as firm as any OEM style stay so I am quite satisfied because of that.

photo-2336.jpg

photo-434.jpg

photo-1092.jpg

photo-1537.jpg

photo-1403.jpg

photo-1135.jpg

Also thinking about using my old Zx6R turn signals as frontway flashers to avoid having to buy new signals. Plus they look so oemish and I kinda like that. But they won't go on without modification,a nd I am not sure if it's worth the effort for something I will probably change down the road anyway.
photo-1586.jpg

photo-1234.jpg

Your thoughts? Would love to hear them.

lso thinking about using my old Zx6R turn signals as frontway flashers to avoid having to buy new signals. Plus they look so oemish and I kinda like that. But they won't go on without modification,a nd I am not sure if it's worth the effort for something I ill probably change down the road anyway.

our thoughts? Would love to hear them.

Look a little big and ugly, also a bit too.... amber....

http://www.kapscomoto.com/Shop-By-P...Signals-Indicators-Blinkers-Lights-p2285.html

Would look a bit better I think,

Back
Top Bottom