Furnace blower motor repair ASAP | GTAMotorcycle.com

Furnace blower motor repair ASAP

Riceburner

Anyone got a recommendation or advice about replacing a furnace blower motor? Might be the blower motor or wheel. Tome to take things apart to check.

On my last house, i replaced the furnace when the blower motor went. It was a 24 yo mid-efficiency furnace, I didnt even bother pricing a repair and replaced it with high efficiency. It cut the gas bill in half. It failed in the fall though so I had the luxury of time.

To answer your question, how old is the furnace, one speed, two speed or ecm motor, fan spins or seized, belt or direct drive? I would pull the fan and motor and try to isolate what has failed.

Last edited:
I don`t think you can buy stuff for a furnace in Canada . You are stuck with calling a repair guy . In the US you can pick up parts at local stores or online .

I don`t think you can buy stuff for a furnace in Canada . You are stuck with calling a repair guy . In the US you can pick up parts at local stores or online .

It's hard to buy parts that are gas related, but if he were to have a single speed blower, that should be much easier to come up with.

I was wondering if one of those basement drying blowers may even work as a temporary measure.

not many places will sell furnace parts to homeowners
they prefer TSSA certified contractors

Southern Supplies in Oshawa will sell retail
and have very good inventory

I was able to buy a compete venter assembly there
motor and blower, in stock, reasonably priced

I might have had the same problem. My blower wasn't blowing (bad capicator?) . Here is a quick fix I did.
1. Turn the furnance OFF to reset (switch should be on the wall somewhere
2. On the thermostate turn the fan setting to ON (leave it on ON)
3. Turn the furnance switch ON
4 When the furnance is switched ON. you should hear gas and auto pilot light starting( clicking sound).
5. The gas will ignite
6. .Now spin the blower fins with your hand. make your spin the right direction or it won't work. It's like bump starting your bike
It should spin easily and freely. be careful the fins are sharp
I belive the capicator on my furnance was not working for some reason so it couldn't start the blower. The blower itself was ok.

if the above works remember to leave the FAN setting to ON on your thermostate. If you leave to Auto, with a bad capicator the blower won't start when needed.

btw i am no furnance guy

I had thread earilier
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?207004-Furance-Blower-Motor&highlight=blower.

And a late and much appreciated thank you to Private Pilot and Hack

Last edited:
Anyone got a recommendation or advice about replacing a furnace blower motor? Might be the blower motor or wheel. Tome to take things apart to check.

Try CAF Electric in Richmond Hill. Pull the old motor and get all the info off it and give them a call.

Took it all apart and the motor seemed fine. Spun easily enough. Cleaned it up while I had it apart. Put it all back together and turned it all on. Worked for a little while and then ground to a halt. So thinking it's not the capacitor as it started and ran. Went in thru the filter port and stuck a stick in and it spun. Tried putting the fan to ON and switched the furnace on again. Started and then ground to a halt again. Tried the stick again and it's not turning easily. Looks like it's the motor. No idea if it's single or multi stage. It is an old furnace, but would like to get thru the winter by replacing just the motor and fan if needed.

Thanks, will try to find CAF Electric tomorrow.

Crap....they are closed on the weekend.

45 Industrial Rd, Richmond Hill, ON L4C 2Y2
Hours:
Friday 8a.m.–5p.m.
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed
Monday 8a.m.–5p.m.
Tuesday 8a.m.–5p.m.
Wednesday8a.m.–5p.m.
Thursday 8a.m.–5p.m.
Phone: (905) 884-8545

Are you saying the motor is just acting like it's seized, or seizing? It starts, but then stops, and it's hard to turn?

I would second Southern Supplies in Oshawa - great place and yes, they will sell retail to anyone which is awesome for DIY'ers. They have a huge stock.

Unfortunately they too are closed on the weekends.

If you just need a motor, and it's an older furnace (what year?), chances are it's a single speed - post a photo of the wires coming off it. If you have a Princess Auto nearby, check there - you may be surprised what you find. Ultimately it doesn't need to be a perfect match, it just needs to be at least a reasonably similar RPM, fit the pulley, and be able to get mounted up and wired in there somehow. They also have lots of different sizes of V Belts if you need to adjust that to make a new motor work.

In the short term to get you through the night, have you tried just getting some oil into the bearings? If you can pull the motor just get some thin weight oil (motor oil will even work in a pinch) and try to get some into the bearings on both ends of the shaft. If it is starting to seize this might be enough to get you through the night at least.

Also check the bearings in the fan assembly shaft itself. If those bearings seize it may present with similar symptoms to a seizing motor. With the belt off just spin it and see if it spins freely..

It's a direct drive to the fan drum. Will be pulling it apart shortly. It runs then stops and hard to turn now. Will try some oil.

Aha ok, yeah, direct drive might complicate finding a cheap/easy replacement a little depending on how it's configured.

Check amazon.ca as well - there's lots of options there too, some of which are showing delivery as fast as Sunday being listed if you order from the Prime options and pay for the 1 day shipping.

Definitely the motor.
kUH3QNJ.jpg

Though on the outer ring it's only at the bottom.
VZUryYB.jpg

So I mounted it rotated so the old bottom was more toward the top. Holding out so far. Will see how it fares overnight. Will still need a replacement.
VdGFDsv.jpg

dw0HyXC.jpg

Haha. Oil every 6 months. When was the last time this one got oiled? 20 years ago?

Can you just replace the rear bearing that seems like it might have failed?

I had a similar problem recently.
5 yr old motor went....first started running rough, then it quit...
my HVAC guy said better/cheaper to replace than to re-furbish...
I called around to triple-check his claim...yup he was right...dont bother with old motor.
$550 later furnace works awesome!
good luck

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Fasco is/was a major supplier to HVAC manufacturers. I've replaced both blowers on my furnace through Amazon but I don't see your model there.

Basically you want a Fasco 7126-2312 motor and a 5 MFD 370 Volt AC capacitor, model number should be on it like C3DR805.

Definitely the motor.
kUH3QNJ.jpg

Though on the outer ring it's only at the bottom.
VZUryYB.jpg

So I mounted it rotated so the old bottom was more toward the top. Holding out so far. Will see how it fares overnight. Will still need a replacement.
VdGFDsv.jpg

dw0HyXC.jpg
That is a bearing failure if the stator was rubbing get new bearings and you are good to go

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Getting bearings out of a housing often requires a press.

And then you need to find a bearing. There’s places out there (I know a particularly good one in Whitby) but doubtful open on weekends.

But yes, repair vs replace is certainly an option, but with the damage to the stator now I’d still consider replacing.

Yes, you can replace the bearing. Do you know what size it is? You're going to have a problem finding one on Saturday morning. You don't need a press to take the bearing out (you're not going to re-use the bearing), it would be nice to press the bearing back in though. I have SOME bearings... I may have the size you need.
(Also isn't there a set of contacts in the other end of the motor? Be sure they are not burned. File them.)

You could probably get a motor like that from Princess Auto or TSC... on Saturday. If you make it till Monday: Bill's Electric on Kipling has a new or refurbished motor for you. Cheapest place to get motors I know of. These are SIMPLE motors, there is nothing wrong with re-furbished.

Back
Top Bottom