Fun bike Qs (MT-01 ??) | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fun bike Qs (MT-01 ??)

OK, sounds like you want something with some personality, that doesn't need to be a scalpel in the twisties, and doesn't need to be a hooligan/wheelie bike. So no sport-touring, no hypermotards. You've really got a lot less options in what you're looking for if you exclude Euro bikes.
No cruisers so a bobber is pretty much out.
Cafe's are handsome but clipons suck for us older types.
How about a Scrambler type bike (again, prob have to go Euro).
MT-01 checks the box's for being out of your norm, and it has a uniqueness and definitely some personality. They're not easy to sell though so really try to get a test ride on it if the seller will allow it.
Or go to GP Bike and test ride a Monster 1200 because that's still my recommendation and a good used low-mile one could be in your budget :)

Geez; that's a good question!! I'll try to answer my way (and to myself...).
My last 2 years: Versys 1000
The 22 (twenty-two) years before Versys: 1 x ZX11C and 1 x ZX11D
The 16 years before ZX11s: 1981 KZ1100 shaft

I intend to keep the Versys and I'm looking for something "refreshing". I would like to discover feelings that are new to me so with a bike different to what my previous bikes were/are. That's mainly why I don't want inline 4; I always got inline 4 in the past. I really think that a twin (V or vertical) should bring something new to me. I'm really leaning toward MT-01 because of the torque that must be addicting. I am not in need of big HP numbers as I do not ride very fast anymore. Mono's do not really appeal to me but it's not 100% "no".

As you can see, the short answer to your question is: I'm not 100% sure yet.
try the triple, you may be surprised. its just torque, torque, torque, torque.

MT-01 what a great looking bike . Very few around that's for sure . If you have the means . It would make a nice ride .

OK, sounds like you want something with some personality, that doesn't need to be a scalpel in the twisties, and doesn't need to be a hooligan/wheelie bike. So no sport-touring, no hypermotards. You've really got a lot less options in what you're looking for if you exclude Euro bikes.
No cruisers so a bobber is pretty much out.
Cafe's are handsome but clipons suck for us older types.
How about a Scrambler type bike (again, prob have to go Euro).
MT-01 checks the box's for being out of your norm, and it has a uniqueness and definitely some personality. They're not easy to sell though so really try to get a test ride on it if the seller will allow it.
Or go to GP Bike and test ride a Monster 1200 because that's still my recommendation and a good used low-mile one could be in your budget :)
That pretty much sum's up my thinking; thanks!
Monster 1200 would probably be a good choice. But, as I wrote, reliability and maintenance costs stands against it. In addition, there is no Ducati dealer close to where I live and, finally, selling prices are closer to $10/11K while MT-01's is about $6/8K.
Again, thanks a lot for your time in my thinking process!!

try the triple, you may be surprised. its just torque, torque, torque, torque.
Well, I suppose it depends what you compare to what. I see in your profile that you have a FJ09. Compared to my Versys 1000, FJ09 produces considerably less torque and at about 1000 RPM higher in the rev range. So, not viable for me. But thanks anyway for the suggestion.

MT-01 what a great looking bike . Very few around that's for sure . If you have the means . It would make a nice ride.
Not everyone think that way but I do. I think the MT01 is, well, original and very european in its look. And from my reading, its features seems to fit my bill. And that engine...
I have the chance of having my Versys 1000 to start the riding season; I'll keep my eyes wide open and will surf the classifieds as the selling prices could lower during the summer.

i did a kijiji canada wide search and not one MT-01 came up for the years that it was made (2005-2012 from what i found)...however, i did find this one for you...

Well, I suppose it depends what you compare to what. I see in your profile that you have a FJ09. Compared to my Versys 1000, FJ09 produces considerably less torque and at about 1000 RPM higher in the rev range. So, not viable for me. But thanks anyway for the suggestion.
Fz09.

i did a kijiji canada wide search and not one MT-01 came up for the years that it was made (2005-2012 from what i found)...however, i did find this one for you...

Strange as I just found 7 in province of Quebec, 2 being at dealers.
I know FZ1 is a nice bike but not at all what I'm looking for.

I just did the same search again and 7 keep on showing up, including the one you found on auto trader.
Anyway, I'll keep an eye on those as I'm not ready to buy right now. I'm moving in 2 months and the focus need to be on this move.

Here's one nearby?

Please view this ad:

2006 MT 01,

Price: $ 5,500

Download the application from the Google Play Store.

Help: http://help.kijiji.net/ca/knowledgebase.php
About: Kijiji Central – A Blog with Tips, Advice, DIY Ideas and More
Privacy Policy: http://help.kijiji.net/ca/knowledgebase.php?article=130
Terms of Use: http://help.kijiji.net/ca/knowledgebase.php?article=92
Contact Us: http://help.kijiji.net/ca/index.php?a=add

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Thanks! I found one locally (province of Quebec) that I'll probably make the trip to see next week.
I'll keep that one in mind if the first one do not turn as good as expected.

You've got a Versys 1000. I classify that as big engine, street only. Your choices all seem to be the same thing. Why not introduce yourself to a new type of riding? A dualsport can let you explore things that are currently off limits to you. And if you don't like it after a season, you could probably almost regain what you spent.

How 'bout a nice shape Honda RC31?
NT_650_L_Bros_MKll_(RC31)_PGM_ignition_90-92_1.jpg

You've got a Versys 1000. I classify that as big engine, street only. Your choices all seem to be the same thing. Why not introduce yourself to a new type of riding? A dualsport can let you explore things that are currently off limits to you. And if you don't like it after a season, you could probably almost regain what you spent.
Good thinking as I also thought at a DR-Z400SM. Anyway, I finally found a 2007 MT01 locally that I decided to buy. I'll pick it up in about 4 weeks after I moved to my new house. I do believe its V-twin engine to be quite different than my previous inline-4 bikes. If I ever discover to not like it, I'll simply sell it and look for something else.
Thnaks for all you inputs!

Good thinking as I also thought at a DR-Z400SM. Anyway, I finally found a 2007 MT01 locally that I decided to buy. I'll pick it up in about 4 weeks after I moved to my new house. I do believe its V-twin engine to be quite different than my previous inline-4 bikes. If I ever discover to not like it, I'll simply sell it and look for something else.
Thnaks for all you inputs!
Rather than start a new thread... how do you like your MT-01?

I see there's one for sale up near Calabogie and it looks pretty nice and reasonably priced for what it is.

Rather than start a new thread... how do you like your MT-01?

I see there's one for sale up near Calabogie and it looks pretty nice and reasonably priced for what it is.
I loved it!! However, last fall, I began to collect old KZ1000/1100 and in the spring, I had a bit too many bikes so I sold the MT01. It really was different than the 4 inline feeling but for now, I'm focusing on older air cooled KZs.

Back
Top Bottom