Full size multitools anyone? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Full size multitools anyone?

FiReSTaRT

Site Supporter
Was gonna pick up a Leatherman Charge TTi and wanted to hear from you guys whether there is an issue with getting one of those or whether there's another option.. Also if you can suggest a TSA-legal multitool, I'd appreciate that too. Thanks in advance

despite having been told by pre-security directly, and being on many TSA-safe lists, the Wenger Esquire will be confiscated. my wife and i both lost ours on differnt flights.

my gerber dime has yet to be confiscated, and ive taken it on several flights

Looking good... Definitely noted.

I splurged on a Charge TTi after my current style Wave was stolen. While I absolutely love the Charge, it really doesn't do anything significantly better than the Wave which was half the price.

$30 price difference nowadays.. Charge TTi is a bit lighter and has a crimper as major benefits for what I could be using them for. Got me thinking though.. Keep'em coming guys and thanks again :)

Final decision Charge TTi... Will probably get the Gerber Dime and Shard for a travel-safe setup.

I have both Leatherman and Gerber. The leatherman is technically the better tool and has more crap on it, but I prefer the gerber. The one handed opening mechanism is amazing. When you're working on a ladder and only have one hand available the gerber is so easy to open and use.

Most of my Gerber sheaths have been pretty **** though. Maybe it's because I use them more often. I now use the Gerber multi-tool in the leatherman sheath lol

my gerber dime has yet to be confiscated, and ive taken it on several flights

Security was wanding everyone entering the Opera House for the Crusty Demons of Dirt III release party. They gave me grief for the Leatherman Micra on my key ring.
Leatherman%20Micra_3.jpg

Told my buddy about it when I caught up to him inside. He laughed, reached into his coat pocket, and pulled out a ceramic knife with a 4" blade. So much for "security".

You should've pulled out your glock

No self-respecting man would carry a piece of tupperware and call it a weapon :D

Did a bit of homework and found out that if the multitool has a non-locking blade shorter than 2" it's TSA-approved, as per recent ruling that the stewardesses were fighting tooth and nail. Might still get confiscated if the TSA agent doesn't like the cut of your jib. Another cool concept that I have come across were credit card-sized "survival" tools like this one:
1.0x0.jpg

Probably not TSA legal as the saw/knife/can-opener blades are technically "fixed" and the "knife"/saw blades can be interpreted as too wide, but even if you lose it, it's only a buck.. Might as well egay 10 lol

P.S. The Glock thing was a joke. I like them, they feel good in the hand, shoot straight and it would be a great carry choice but I just can't get over the fact that it feels like a toy compared to my ex-comblock made hunk of steel.

Did you ever pick up a Leatherman charge. I got mine yesterday and love it.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

Did you ever pick up a Leatherman charge. I got mine yesterday and love it.

I did and it's great. Don't like the pouch as I can't fit all the bits in it and I definitely use philips (a couple of sizes), flathead, allen (multiple sizes), red/green robbie and torx (multiple sizes). Only one set of bits can fit with me being able to close it. Also a bit worried about the extension falling out. Picked up a universal multitool case:
nite_ize_tool_holster_stretch.jpg

for about $10-15 shipped and it fits the whole shebang, while holding the extension securely, but it gets pretty thick and forms a bulge on the waist, which is a bit of a drag when walking around with a shirt untucked.

The build quality is great, titanium handles make it very light for a tool that size/functionality and it already paid for itself in the time it saved me.

Also the Gerber Shard and Dime came in useful. Love using the shard as a prying tool (came in especially useful when I was replacing a bunch of bulbs in the pot lights in the rental unit) and as a screwdriver in a pinch since it's mounted on my key ring. The Dime wasn't as useful, but I like the fact that it hangs off my keychain so I've used it as a tweezer for holding small parts, used the knife and the scissors.

If I could take ONE tool on me all the time, it'd still be the Charge TTi, but having the other 2 options on a retractable key chain, at minimal size/weight penalty is great.

Also picked up an el-cheapo to hook onto my range bag and also take when traveling. $15ish shipped. Not NEARLY as nice (especially the screwdriver bit attachment sucks), but can come in useful and won't break the bank if it gets stolen:
http://dx.com/p/stainless-steel-mul...oldable-pliers-with-carrying-pouch-blue-37394
sku_37394_1.jpg

Also quite a bit heavier than Charge TTI - like 30%

I use my extra Blackberry case to hold my bits. I have the leather sheath. It has a spot for the extension.

have the leather sheath. It has a spot for the extension.

I kept worrying about it slipping out of that spot. That's why I bought the other case.

Because I carry my bits in the BB case the extension goes in the back sleeve

Because I carry my bits in the BB case the extension goes in the back sleeve

That would do it. Since I only wanted one case to rule them all, I had to go aftermarket. A bit chunky but it works and fits all the bits. If I drop a few lbs I'll start walking around with the shirt tucked in :D

The thing about these multi tools is that they can do many but a "master" of none.

I carry a swiss army knife with me all the time & use the knife 99% of the time

The thing about these multi tools is that they can do many but a "master" of none.

I carry a swiss army knife with me all the time & use the knife 99% of the time

If your only tool is a hammer, you see every problem as a nail :cool: I'll give you SOME examples of how I've used the multitool in addition to cutting with a normal knife..

1) Used the pliers as pliers and tweezers for cinching paracord loop knots, holding small parts
2) I've also used the multitool to strip wires and crimp connectors
3) Used the ruler to measure fasteners so I could pick up the correct replacements
4) Used the Allen bits on scope rings/M1913 rails and Torx bits on grips
5) Used hard wire cutter to trim a braided metal cable and the soft wire cutter for electrical work
6) Used the file to smooth out some sharp edges
7) Used the hook cutter to SAFELY open that insane retail plastic packaging

If your only tool is a hammer, you see every problem as a nail :cool: I'll give you SOME examples of how I've used the multitool in addition to cutting with a normal knife..

1) Used the pliers as pliers and tweezers for cinching paracord loop knots, holding small parts
2) I've also used the multitool to strip wires and crimp connectors
3) Used the ruler to measure fasteners so I could pick up the correct replacements
4) Used the Allen bits on scope rings/M1913 rails and Torx bits on grips
5) Used hard wire cutter to trim a braided metal cable and the soft wire cutter for electrical work
6) Used the file to smooth out some sharp edges
7) Used the hook cutter to SAFELY open that insane retail plastic packaging

Seems like you were on a job. You might as well had your toolbox at that point

When i was an aircraft mech, a multitool was a must.

See, we have all our tools, but they are in a van, down the length of the cabin, down two flight of stairs, then the return trip.

Many a times i could fix a piece of trim or secure a loose screw with the multitool instead of lugging my tool box with me.

A multitool, a Snap-on ratcheting bit holder with handle filled with diff bits and one or two wrenches and you could fix 50% of the aircraft.

Back
Top Bottom