From an old Cycle Canada tech column | GTAMotorcycle.com

From an old Cycle Canada tech column

Don't even think about doing it yourself without a powerband installation tool.

tri-bander.jpg

Might as well replace the blinker fluid regulator at the same time, it's right beside the powerband. It'll need to be done eventually, no reason to delay this since you're going to have the discombubulator out to access the powerband, why do all that labour twice?

Reactions: TK4
I miss the old Cycle Canada.:cry:

Reactions: TK4
That was in the daze when Bruce Reeve was editor, Max Burns and Chris Knowles still wrote for them. Anyone remember Mike Duff? LOL. Always had a laugh at their replies to Marla Garber from BRO. Meh, it's a different country now. Very foreign to me.

Awesome clip.
I have a bunch of old magazines if anyone wants them for free. I think many go back to early 80's and up to around 2010 or so. Don't want to throw them out since some dinosaur might want them.
i-w7ZvtqB.jpg

They used to have an annual article that summed up the yearly bufoonery in Canada. It was very pg. Can't remember the name.
Back when it was a newsprint tabloid, you could get a lifetime subscription for $100. Sad what it has become.

Edit, i think it was "Bad Rap" something.

Last edited:
I had an RD350 in high school. Damn thing was a pita to get started ad I didn't know enough about bikes to really get into it. It would burble and pop until the tach hit 7k, then turn into a rocket.

Back when it was a newsprint tabloid, you could get a lifetime subscription for $100. Sad what it has become.
A buddy of mine got a lifetime subscription to CC many, many years ago. They've definitely lost money on him!

I had the RZ in HS. Wheelies galore, poor bike. I didn't know any better at 16 and maintained poorly. Bad deal.for guy that bought it.

ZZ Top was my favorite powerband

I had an RD350 in high school. Damn thing was a pita to get started ad I didn't know enough about bikes to really get into it. It would burble and pop until the tach hit 7k, then turn into a rocket.
I had the RZ in HS. Wheelies galore, poor bike. I didn't know any better at 16 and maintained poorly. Bad deal.for guy that bought it.

ZZ Top was my favorite powerband

This is why we don't have two stroke bikes anymore. Too many squids.

On the flip side, it doesn't really matter how thrashed the motor was/is, I can rebuild a Yamaha twin 2T engine, including rebuilding the crank, new bearings, new rings and pistons, rebore, deck the head, in an afternoon, which I guess would include a new power band, costs ME about $500.
I have actually done most of that in the pits, between rounds, a couple of times... in one weekend.
Ya gotta love two strokes.

REAL MEN don't need more than two strokes.
Valves work GREAT in toilets.
More than two strokes, you're playin with it

Jesus mate, how old are you? Are you fed with a tube?

Can you ride a proper running RD350 and not wheelie?

Can you ride a proper running RD350 and not wheelie?

Not if you're doing it right
Wheelies were a real problem with the RD350, so the RD400 had a longer swingarm, lowered the swingarm pivot, they moved the engine down and forward, stretched the frame... MUCH BETTER WHEELIES!

The LCs were the cat's azz.

And if we all knew then what we know now a TZ anything was the one we all should have bought when they sold them right off the showroom floor at roughly twice the price of the street versions.

The TZR 250s didn't have much motor, but they made up for it in handling.

Back
Top Bottom