Fork Seal replacement - OEM swapped out for Aftermarket "All Balls" seals | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fork Seal replacement - OEM swapped out for Aftermarket "All Balls" seals

Rotten_Ronnie

Site Supporter
Hokay,

2004 Kawasaki KLR 650

So one of my oem seals was dribbling oil down the leg, so I ordered in some aftermarket seals from aviciouscycle.ca

oilseals.jpg

I had fun removing then draining the fork, but that was no big deal. I pulled the retaining pin, then hit the old seals with 100lbs of slow progressive air until they popped out, removed them with out any great difficulty. Now comes the sad part:

I knew they were 41mm forks so what size Motion Pro seal driver did I order? 41mm right? Well, 41mm is absolutely the wrong one to use as the outer edge of the tool will not fit into the top seal area of the fork. Can you confirm that it should have been the 39mm seal driver?

Seal%20Driver.jpg

I made a trip to Home Depot and bought a 4' x 1-1/2" PVC DWV pipe that fit the lips of the seal that I'd brought along in my pocket, and when I tossed it over the fork tube I was able to use it as a slide hammer to compress the seals into the cavity, but here is where I need some advice:

I can't drive the aftermarket "All Balls" oil seal and dust cover low enough into the cavity to engage the retaining ring. :banghead:

Any advice you care to offer?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Re: Fork Seal replacement - OEM swapped out for Aftermarket "All Balls" seals

Turn the fork upside down and slam the pipe into the floor, driving the seal into the slider recess. Or just bang it down with a mallet.

Turn the fork upside down and slam the pipe into the floor, driving the seal into the slider recess. Or just bang it down with a mallet.

I need about 2mm more. I'm guessing that using that much force won't hurt the seal? It's my first time doing forks.

That's the way I drive in seals and I've had no issues. If the seal isn't going in anymore with 2 mm left to go then you may have the wrong size seals. Compare the actual dimensions of the All Ball seals with the OEM specs. (inside diameter x outside diameter x height)

I'll go give it a shot now. If they won't yield to the bigger hammer, then perhaps I'll just order in some OEM seals and chalk it up as a learning experience.

ALL BALLS seals will leak....just go OEM

I did exactly as you suggested, and hit the pvc pipe into a piece of two by four lying on the cement hard enough to gouge a nice 1-1/2" ring into the wood. The seals drove down and I popped the retaining ring on now.

One more to do and I might have a bike again for next weekend.

Frekeyguy, that's all I've heard since I started researching all balls to find out why they wouldn't fit. The consensus seems to be quality control. Some people report no issues, others that they began to seep immediately. I've a 2,500 km ride to Virginia next weekend, and this thread will be the first to know how they perform.

Both forks on, although I wondered why one leg took so much fluid until I RTFM and found out I was to fill with the forks COMPRESSED, not extended. I had a little fun with a cross threaded fork cap, but managed to clean up the threads with a needle file and get the bugger driven home and holding tight.

I swapped the Kenda 761 with 9,000 km on it over to a brand new Kenda 270, a 60/40 tire that will let me play in wet grass and a bit of mud where the 761 will just slide out on you. New brake pads on the front, and that was it for tonight.

Tomorrow I'm going to change the rear tire, rear brakes and clean the air filter. I think the brakes are due for a bleed and refill as the front brake lever is a bit too mushy.

Fun Wow!

Thanks for your help guys.

Back
Top Bottom