Fork ring stopper removal | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fork ring stopper removal

matthew

Site Supporter
Hi everyone,

I'm attempting to install new oil / dust seals and replace the fork oil on my 2000 sv650s. I managed to remove one of the oil stopper ring circlips (part 20 below) but it was mangled in the process. I have new ones so I'm not worried about reusing it but I am worried about having to install the new ones.

From the Bluepoof.com tutorial (and others), it seems this ring and the oil seal below it, can be somewhat easily removed but that wasnt the case.

What should I be doing to remove the ring from the other fork?

I used a flat head screw driver to pry up the ring but it wasn't very graceful.

How should I go about installing the new ones without damaging the inner tube or the oil seal?

Thanks

Untitled-22.png

Installing the new snap ring is easier than getting the old one out. It should just snap right in to the groove, maybe with a bit of help from a pair of pliers or a plastic punch. If the ring doesn't snap solidly into the groove, it means that your oil seal isn't seated fully.

Do you have a seal driver tool? I've used ABS pipe for this purpose before.

Installing the new snap ring is easier than getting the old one out. It should just snap right in to the groove, maybe with a bit of help from a pair of pliers or a plastic punch. If the ring doesn't snap solidly into the groove, it means that your oil seal isn't seated fully.

Do you have a seal driver tool? I've used ABS pipe for this purpose before.

No seal driver. I might go the pipe route; I watched a video last night where someone wrapped a lot of painters tape around the fork and used that. It seemed to work.

Usually pop those rings out with a small screwdriver. Free one end first then it's easy to work it out. What Ash for install.

No seal driver. I might go the pipe route; I watched a video last night where someone wrapped a lot of painters tape around the fork and used that. It seemed to work.
Use electrical tape.

Small pick and screwdriver. Take your time.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

All you really need to rebuild those SV forks is a hammer, allen wrench, hex wrench, screw driver , 2x picks, grease, and fork oil.
(brake clean & rags, polishing sand paper)

Back
Top Bottom