Ford government proposing photo radar | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ford government proposing photo radar

in certain safety sensitive areas: school zones etc
I see no problem with this

and you don't have to go overseas to find this
Canada's version of Texas has them

if those Freedom Lovers can put up with it
the socially conscious people of Ontario should be fine

We got rid of it last time because it went to court after a lawyer was charged with speeding by a photo radar.
It was judged unconstitutional because the owner of the car gets charged and not the driver.

In Canada, you must prove the person who was driving the car is the one charged with the crime.

If they see me on my bike speeding and I run, they cannot come to my house and give me a ticket, because they do not have absolute proof it was me riding the bike.

We got rid of it last time because it went to court after a lawyer was charged with speeding by a photo radar.
It was judged unconstitutional because the owner of the car gets charged and not the driver.

In Canada, you must prove the person who was driving the car is the one charged with the crime.

If they see me on my bike speeding and I run, they cannot come to my house and give me a ticket, because they do not have absolute proof it was me riding the bike.
What if you go through a school bus stop sign???

They can certainly visit your house and decide if they believe you were or not.

That's why there are no points as they cant prove who was the driver. The owner of the vehicle is on the hook for the fine unless they throw the driver under the bus. Red light tickets have used this model for quite a while now.

The technology exists that they could photo the driver and unless he/she is wearing a balaclava or bandana , and absolutely have a clear image. This is not used as a lot of cars are being driven by people that should not be behind that wheel. Girl friend/ boy friend, whats the car doing on street xxx at 3pm? its a court clog, and not traffic court. Ask the Europeans.

park a $60,000 cruiser and leave the lights on? yeah that's a good investment. Send two cops out to park and shuttle the other back, and collect zero potential revenue while it sitting, and offer no public assistance if there is an accident. I'm not seeing it.

My concern is these things would operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. I pass two schools on my way home, and slow down if I'm between 8 and 4, or if there are cars in the parking lots, which I can see from well back. Why should I get a ticket for going through there at 2 AM in August; it's not going to improve anyone's safety.

My concern is these things would operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. I pass two schools on my way home, and slow down if I'm between 8 and 4, or if there are cars in the parking lots, which I can see from well back. Why should I get a ticket for going through there at 2 AM in August; it's not going to improve anyone's safety.
Agree with you about the timing. But if everyone gets used to going 40 it will be safer for the kids.
A few seconds out of our days is worth the safety of our little ones.

Agree with you about the timing. But if everyone gets used to going 40 it will be safer for the kids.
That's the worst part. Changing your speed from 60 to 40 or 45 over a 300m stretch will not even save seconds on your trip. You lose it right away at the next red light or next stop sign where someone else has to go before you.
But stopping from a 60 to 0 vs stopping from 40 to 0 can be the difference between life or death.

I think everybody just need to get used to slowing down in school zones, 8-4 is regular hrs. however a lot of schools have evening activities, scouts, guides, AA meetings (those guys could be hammered) , and concerts ect. Just leave for work 3 mins earlier.

I have no problem whatsoever with this. The percentage of idiots on our roads who think the rules do not apply to them is growing exponentially every year. Something needs to change.

You kill a child and then find a bridge to jump off.

Fortunately you are wrong in the majority of cases. What does happen if somebody records the licence numer of that vehicle is police can charge the vehicles owner. No demerit points though.

I don't necessarily disagree, but when even some of the people in some governments agree with my logic, why not implement it everywhere. Look at the bottom of this sign. It's tough to read, but at the bottom it says "School Days" Google Maps

Man, this thread has brought out the entitled and crazies. It's been proven in Europe and even if you think about it logically that permanent camera radars will slow down vehicles in that area better than random police traps.
Even the stupidest driver would stop speeding in that spot or take another route after the second ticket, if not the first.

This is overdue in school zones and other high-risk areas.

The same end (reducing speeding) could be accomplished by parking an empty, marked police vehicle on the shoulder.

They've tried that... but someone torched a couple of their "ghost" cars.
That was the end of that.

One thing I have noticed alot lately is the amount of cars with license plate covers that make it very difficult to read the plate numbers. Once this photo radar becomes more widespread , I can only see even more plates covered up. Like someone else mentioned, the fine for covering up a plate is so low it's not even a deterrent. I have no idea if the police are pulling cars over for this. But in my opinion, these cars should be pulled over and impounded on site. The only reason for a smoked out plate is to hide any evidence. So I say zero tolerance for them.

One thing I have noticed alot lately is the amount of cars with license plate covers that make it very difficult to read the plate numbers. Once this photo radar becomes more widespread , I can only see even more plates covered up. Like someone else mentioned, the fine for covering up a plate is so low it's not even a deterrent. I have no idea if the police are pulling cars over for this. But in my opinion, these cars should be pulled over and impounded on site. The only reason for a smoked out plate is to hide any evidence. So I say zero tolerance for them.
I agree, Obfuscated plates (covers, altered, sandblasted, or just worn bare by the elements) are mostly for cheating 407, I'm sure as photo radar and RLCs get more prevalent, so will the efforts to defeat cameras.

I'm not crazy about expanding the scope of the police's already questionable use of martial law (roadside suspensions and impounding). I do think this type of offense is almost always deliberate, so the fine should be hefty in order to be a deterrent. I'll bet a $500 fine would work.

I agree, Obfuscated plates (covers, altered, sandblasted, or just worn bare by the elements) are mostly for cheating 407, I'm sure as photo radar and RLCs get more prevalent, so will the efforts to defeat cameras.

I'm not crazy about expanding the scope of the police's already questionable use of martial law (roadside suspensions and impounding). I do think this type of offense is almost always deliberate, so the fine should be hefty in order to be a deterrent. I'll bet a $500 fine would work.
I have over 1,000,000 km on my car plates (three number, three letter). I do not want a new plate number. My front plate is in decent shape, my rear plate is quite rusty. I want to refinish it, but that is technically illegal (subaru blue is a close match if anyone is interested). If I could get replacement plates with the same number for a reasonable price (ie the same or close to new non-custom plate prices) I would entertain the idea. For now, I have given it a cycle in evaporust and switched the front and rear plates to try to lightly sandblast off the rust.

Well... If driving is a privilege then perhaps the penalty for speeding should be so crippling that people would obey posted limits?
The penalty for going 50kmh over the posted limit includes roadside seizure..?
Why wait until 50 over...?
Make it 20 over and you're car is towed.

But no, they do this balancing act between looking like we're taking speeding seriously and generating revenue by having a system where you get several chances to reoffend before any real consequences.

Back
Top Bottom