Foot wear | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Foot wear

I assume everyone here wears a full leather race suit every time they ride....full face and gauntlet with full back protector always? Motorcycling is a risk. It is up to everyone here to choose the level they want to mitigate that. I ride in town at much lower speeds...I'm willing to sacrifice some slide and impact protection in the summer to stay cool. Or does every one here only wear one jacket and one boot and one glove and one helmet?
No they don't.I am not an atgatt type and frequently ride in leather jacket and levi's.I know what good protection is and do my best to stay safe because motorcycling is dangerous as you said.I don't know what everyone else wears,but i know what bad advice is to someone starting out.
As far as foot and ankle protection goes,there are really only two choices.Daytona or Dainese.Most of the other "race style" boots are nothing more than leather boots with f'n lego glued to them.

I have a pair of beginner track oriented boots (sedici ultimo) and another pair of sneakers looking ones from cycle gear brand, Bilt. I've been using them for about 5 years now.

Both are fine, but the short sneaker looking "boots", while comfortable wouldn't have done anything to protect my ankle. I wear the longer boots in summer only because they vent really well.

I got these boots end of last year for around 100 bucks.

It's more geared towards cruiser type bikes but feels very solid and way better than the sneaker style. Only downside is laces but I just tuck them. They look clunky but not too bad in real life.

Plus point if you're vertically challenged.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Did you ever have waterproof boots with a zipper up the side :/ I never seen a waterproof zipper yet unless it was like the ones on a zip lock bag.
If you want waterproof boots, just pull a couple of used bread bags over your socks before you put your boots on ;) works like a charm.

No they don't.I am not an atgatt type and frequently ride in leather jacket and levi's.I know what good protection is and do my best to stay safe because motorcycling is dangerous as you said.I don't know what everyone else wears,but i know what bad advice is to someone starting out.
As far as foot and ankle protection goes,there are really only two choices.Daytona or Dainese.Most of the other "race style" boots are nothing more than leather boots with f'n lego glued to them.
BMW makes (or maybe made) a pair or two with excellent ankle protection as well. No lego, just a rigid brace from your foot to your calf.

Did you ever have waterproof boots with a zipper up the side :/ I never seen a waterproof zipper yet unless it was like the ones on a zip lock bag.
If you want waterproof boots, just pull a couple of used bread bags over your socks before you put your boots on ;) works like a charm.
I didn't get them for waterproofing, though some reviews say they are good and some say it's only ok.

There are gaiters so its not completely open while unzipped.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I didn't get them for waterproofing, though some reviews say they are good and some say it's only ok.

There are gaiters so its not completely open while unzipped.
The gaiters wear out about as fast as used bread bags.

You can tell the boots that were designed by somebody that thought they knew what makes a good motorcycle boot, they look like paratrooper boots with big clunky heavy tread soles and toe pieces for kicking stuff, which you never actually do, then they add a chunk of material on the top of both boots where it hits the shifter, except once they put that big heavy sole and extra stuff on the boot you can no longer fit it under the shift lever :|

Oh and they make them elastic back slip-on shoes because no way will that ever fly off your feet just as easy when you crash :unsure:

BMW makes (or maybe made) a pair or two with excellent ankle protection as well. No lego, just a rigid brace from your foot to your calf.
I think they were made by Dainese for BMW. Could be wrong.

I think they were made by Dainese for BMW. Could be wrong.
Quite possible. The ones I have seen were not sold as Dainese, but it would make sense for BMW to outsource boots as it is far from what they know how to do well. Dainese could pull from their parts bin quite easily to make BMW specific boots.

I bought a pair of 'tactical' boots a couple of years ago (like these). They seem a good compromise - I can lace as high as I want, and still walk around pretty easily.tactical.jpg

Google "shattered ankle xrays". Orthopedic surgeons can do amazing things with a bunch of broken bones and a handful of screws and plates.

Thanks all.
I think I will see if they will return/credit me. Maybe even exchange as I still need gloves. I can buy from them. I think I will see if I can find a higher boot but more like Stylmartin leather boots. If I can afford will go for the Rocket boots or the alternative.Will cost me more but why back down now.

Stylmartin Rocket Boots

Stylmartin Indian Boots

Or from Alpine

Thanks all.
I think I will see if they will return/credit me. Maybe even exchange as I still need gloves. I can buy from them. I think I will see if I can find a higher boot but more like Stylmartin leather boots. If I can afford will go for the Rocket boots or the alternative.Will cost me more but why back down now.

Stylmartin Rocket Boots

Stylmartin Indian Boots

Or from Alpine
I don't like any of those for protection (they do look nice though). The closest they come to ankle protection is a foam disc. At that point, save hundreds and just buy some workboots. Same protection, half the money.

Thanks all.

Stylmartin Rocket Boots

Stylmartin Indian Boots

Or from Alpine
You are starting to get the idea. But you are still focused on fashion. Laces have no place on a proper mc boot.
I'm done here.

Depending where I’m going or what type of bike I’m riding I do run the TCX casual shoe style. It isn’t close to a full length proper motorcycle boot but I like them.

From how they feel in my hands and wearing them I feel they provide better protection then something like a timberland boot or other non motorcycle boot. No question way better then a normal shoe. The heal and toe are reinforced and there is hard padding over the ankle bone. They go high enough to provide good ankle support (good not great).

I wouldn’t bother with the shorty style motorcycle boot. To me it looks almost as goofy as a full length road race style boot but has similar short comings to the casual shoe style.

Just a note, I’m not really an atgatt type of guy when it comes to street riding so just because I’m happy with the shoe style doesn’t mean others will be. I can see and understand the short comings but I’m good with it and accept it. To each their own.

Now have to find away to add shoes to my commute along with my other gear.
I just leave a pair of regular shoes at work. Commute wear is as much as you are willing to put on every single day. Those Dyno Pros are about as good as it gets for low cut moto shoes. I wear a pair of low cut TCX because not every day do I want to wear moto pants and boots. It is all a calculated risk. You won't regret those in the long run however.

At least you aren't wearing a pair of steel toe soft shank boots. I think I'd rather wear sneakers over those in a crash. Busted ankles vs toe amputation.

Not sure what kind of shoes you wear to work, but I can fit a pair of dress shoes in my tank bag.

Full height thick leather for me. I spent to much time in the face plant forum on advrider reading stories about riders going down and losing a shoe, with their foot still in it.

Mine are just short of a hard shell mx boot. I’ll deal with the crappy walking about part, or throw some shoes in the pannier if I will be off the bike for more than an hour.

Stay safe and protect yourself.

Back
Top Bottom