Foot wear | GTAMotorcycle.com

Foot wear

ACsurge

Hi All

Wanted to get opinion on footwear. What do you guys wear or what is adequate?

I wanted to get a pair of casual riding shoes similar to
1582594339046.png

However this past weekend when I hit the Motorcycle show I was upsold to
1582594455567.png I feel these are more then needed for casual riding to and from work.
Not feeling good about my purchase. One I spent more then my budget and 2 i guess I was stuck on more of the casual look.

Thanks

Any protection is better than none, I prefer the full length for dat ankle protection

The shoes are good but won't protect as well as the boots....you have to decide what level of protection you want. I have shoes and love them. I also wear boots on longer trips. For around town I am willing to take more of a chance I guess.

I find the pavement is definitely softer around town - somewhat supple might be a good description. The problem is other drivers stupidity is much higher around town.
So I wear my Daytona Evo Sports boots every time I'm on the bike - doesn't matter where or when.

After coming off in ankle high boots and being on crutches for months, when riding a bike, it is full boots with amazing ankle protection for me. Most full boots suck at actually providing protection.

Look at any footwear you are contemplating and ask yourself if you would be happy wearing it while someone jumped on the side of your ankle. A similar hit can easily happen even in a parking lot tip. You will find very few choices that you would actually expect to pass this test.

Your first choice is completely useless and you might as well wear something much cheaper with equivalent (no) protection. Your second choice is slightly better but still well below the bar that I would wear. I don't know the actual stats, but I suspect you are more likely to come off your bike commuting than when you are going on a ride that you consider worthy of requiring protection.

What is the difference between casual riding and non casual riding?
In my opinion riding is riding.

Any one recall the stat, that most accident happen withing XX KM (a short distance) from home.

I can't recall (from your other post) what bike you have or will be getting. But you also want your boots to be comfortable.
For example: boots that are intended to be used on a cruiser style bike will probably be not as comfortable on a sport bike.

Regardless, as @Wingboy pointed out, you should get the best gear you can afford, taking safety and comfort into account.

The first option are pretty much an overpriced version of Chuck Taylors. Which are slightly better than wearing flip flops on a bike.

Once I got my hands on a pair of Sidi Vertigos, that was they only thing I wore on a bike. Regardless where I went. At the time I had a cubical job so I had a spare pair of shoes at the office. Anywhere else, the boots were my choice of footwear. They were just like wearing a helmet, it was just part of the gear.
1582604544152.png

They are designed to be used primary on sport bikes and the track. But I like them for the street as well.
They are not bulky and have good protection.

If you have regrets about your purchase, I would suggest contacting or going into GP Bikes again and exchanging them for something else that you like. Hopefully they are in a good mood and are able to extend the 20% discount you received on these and apply it to the new boots.

You want to make sure that the "style" or "cool factor" is not higher than safety and protection on the priority list.

Last edited:
I find the pavement is definitely softer around town - somewhat supple might be a good description.

That's probably cause the roads are constantly repaved over and over again due to the constant construction.
The pavement doesn't have enough time to harden yet, before its ripped up again. ;)

I have a couple of pairs like the Dainese above, and a pair of more track oriented, and a pair of more off road oriented boots.
It's all fun and games until you take a sharp chunk of gravel or worse in the shin at 100+ kph.
The high top runner type boots can be good if you're practicing and walking around in a parking lot all day long.
The racer type are better if you're doing long distances, lots of riding and not much walking, unless you can store a pair of runners on your bike.
The offroad boots are somewhat of a compromise, good for walking and street riding, but not the best for either.

I would also suggest to avoid boots/shoes with laces.
You would hate to have the laces get cough on the shifter or brake and tip the bike over. And crushing your ankle due to lack of protection.

Buy the best gear you can afford and wear it."Around town"? is the pavement softer there?
I assume everyone here wears a full leather race suit every time they ride....full face and gauntlet with full back protector always? Motorcycling is a risk. It is up to everyone here to choose the level they want to mitigate that. I ride in town at much lower speeds...I'm willing to sacrifice some slide and impact protection in the summer to stay cool. Or does every one here only wear one jacket and one boot and one glove and one helmet?

I wear full size A* boots everywhere I go, with shoes in my backpack. Your ankle will break like a twig in a crash without something that holds your ankle straight.

I assume everyone here wears a full leather race suit every time they ride....full face and gauntlet with full back protector always? Motorcycling is a risk. It is up to everyone here to choose the level they want to mitigate that. I ride in town at much lower speeds...I'm willing to sacrifice some slide and impact protection in the summer to stay cool. Or does every one here only wear one jacket and one boot and one glove and one helmet?
A long slide is less likely to happen on a commute so leathers are less necessary. Ankle injuries do not care how fast you are going.

For me personally, I always wear full boots, gauntlet gloves and a full-face helmet. I also wear pants and a jacket, depending on the temperature and ride, it may be mesh or solid. Gear is a personal choice. It is annoying when people try to justify their choices with stupid arguments though. Just say you don't want to wear it, don't try to pretend that a commute is magically less dangerous.

The options and variety of gear sold nowadays makes it very easy to stay well protected, but cool in the summer heat without the need for full leathers. While the level gear one chooses to wear may be a personal choice, the need to stay cool vs stay protected is an outdated ultimatum.

Thank you all for chiming in.

I understand the inherent risks as my wife reminds me on a regular basis.

Maybe the sales guy was right. The stiffer boot may be better for safety. I'll put them on again and get my brain/heart to accept they may not be as "cool" or comfortable as the shoe but I may be thankful for being upsold.

Now have to find away to add shoes to my commute along with my other gear.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Those aren't even boots they are ankle twisters, boots cover much of the calf of your leg, you know the part, it's where your leg never grows hair because you wear riding boots too often :|

Steel toe clips :LOL: you know what steel toe clips do on pavement? they are slippery as @#$% when you need to touch a toe down.

I prefer something I can wear both on and off the bike. Chippewas or any quality solid leather boot at least ankle high.

I also wear full-face, armored jacket, leather pants and full gloves. But I can strip all those off and look civil!

Back
Top Bottom