First Time Riding 2-up... Major Success! | GTAMotorcycle.com

First Time Riding 2-up... Major Success!

Jonnie

Thought I'd share my experience with other new riders, like myself, who are interested in riding 2-up.

I've been riding for a few months. My mount is a lowered (1.5") stock Ninja 250r with 150/60 back tire. I bought my bike used and as is.

All in all, the experience was a major success! Your bike will become less fun for you and probably loads of fun for the passenger (who presumably doesn't spend too much time on a motorcycle).

How I prepared my bike:
- Replaced rear seat cowl with passenger seat.
- Changed my preload setting from 2 to 4.
- Increased my tire psi by 2, to become 30/34.

Ideally you want your passenger to wear the same gear as if they were driving the motorcycle. But in the end all that is needed is a DOT approved helmet.

How I briefed my passenger:
- Do not get on or off the bike until I tell you it's safe to do so.
- While on the bike, your feet should always be on the foot pegs. (The exhaust pipe will burn you, watch out!)
- If possible, refrain from fidgeting or moving while seated on the bike.
- Use your thighs or knees against my sides to brace yourself for acceleration and stops.
- Hold onto the straps on the passenger seat, or put your arms around my waist.
- When I lean, you lean your body with me. For good practice, put your head near my left shoulder when I turn left and right, when I go right.
- To get on the bike put your left foot on the left peg, use your left arm for leverage on my left shoulder and then proceed to get on.

Did a few laps around the block to get use to the feeling of riding 2-up and then it was off on our ride!

I noticed that the acceleration was slower than usual due to the added weight. Stopping required that I brake earlier than normal, leaving more distance. It was definitely a rougher ride and the bike no longer felt zippy. My balance felt less stable. The seating position felt less comfortable to me. For some reason, my arms got a heavier workout. If the passenger decides to move, it can pull your bike and you will feel it.

The passenger loved the experience, so it all worked out in the end. :D

If anybody has any tips, tricks or recommendations, I'd love to hear it and improve my next 2-up experience. :)

I noticed that the acceleration was slower than usual due to the added weight. Stopping required that I brake earlier than normal, leaving more distance. It was definitely a rougher ride and the bike no longer felt zippy. My balance felt less stable. The seating position felt less comfortable to me. For some reason, my arms got a heavier workout. If the passenger decides to move, it can pull your bike and you will feel it.

Exactly why I removed all passenger foot pegs and tell anyone that asks that the rear seat cowl is permanent. I also don't like the constant helmet banging.

I hate 2-up.

It's much better if you learn to ride before attempting to take responsibility for a passenger.

It's much better if you learn to ride before attempting to take responsibility for a passenger.
+1. I've heard a good rule of thumb is don't take a passenger until you've been crash/drop free for 2 years (excluding track of course). I know my gf won't get on with me and I don't blame her. I know a few girls interested in rides and I mostly just think they're not too bright to take the risk, lol.

Also, I think it's only fair to show them some nice nasty pics of road rash, broken bones, and other injuries they would likely sustain if we did go down. Especially if they're not wearing FULL gear.

OP, glad it went well for you. Hope you got laid in the end, haha.

hater!

sounds like he did a damn good job so why you being a dick to the guy? Good work Jonnie, it is a lot less fun but the end result is usually well worth it!

hater!

sounds like he did a damn good job so why you being a dick to the guy? Good work Jonnie, it is a lot less fun but the end result is usually well worth it!

No, hate. Just some food for thought. Stuff happens. If you'd hop on the back of his bike, when he's been riding for "a few months", that's your decision. I know I wouldn't, and I wouldn't let anyone on the back of my bike when I'd only ridden for a few months.

No, hate. Just some food for thought. Stuff happens. If you'd hop on the back of his bike, when he's been riding for "a few months", that's your decision. I know I wouldn't, and I wouldn't let anyone on the back of my bike when I'd only ridden for a few months.
I think it depends. For me I did a 2up with my girlfriend, but insisted we only go a couple blocks because I'm still new to riding and brand new to having a passenger. My buddy who is newer than me decided on his first 2up to take his girlfriend to Burlington and then to Barrie. Even when my girlfriend gets the rest of her gear (Calm down gear nuts, I made her wear my stuff, rather me than her), I think it'll be awhile before I take her anywhere far and I'll be avoiding highways and sharp turns.

I don't kiss and tell! ;)

Thanks for all the positive comments everyone.

I am definitely a new rider, but I make it my mission to practice often. (Especially my slow speed riding and maneuvers). I've group ridden with friends who are instructors and racers, and have been complemented on my good habits and ability as a beginner. I figured 2-up would be the next thing to try/practice. My passenger and I stayed on local roads and rode when there was less traffic. I was definitely very conscious about everything during my first 2-up experience. :)

don't forget, assuming they are a new passenger:

1.) make sure you to tell them to climb up and over to mount/dismount, and not swing around or take a hop on the bike, otherwise they might mount in an unexpected manner.
2.) make sure they know you need to give them the signal before mounting/dismounting
3.) when going around a corner, once they move to look over your shoulder, they should focus on maintaining their slight lean. You will adjust to them, they should not adjust even if they mis-lean. There can only be one person controlling the angle/pitch of the bike.
4.) tire pressure and rear suspension pre-load. Be sure to adjust as nessesary.

I also don't like the constant helmet banging.

If you are banging helmets, you and your passenger are doing it wrong. With proper instructions to your passenger and smoothness on your part, you will definitely notice the added weight but it shouldnt impact the your riding experience that much (on a 1000cc SS anyways :)

hater!

Holmes here is being nice.. The bike ride is for her, the 2nd ride is for you.

Here area few tips that I can give you that might help you even more:

1) wear a belt. Have your passenger hold onto it with their left hand for when you accelerate.

2) have your passenger keep her right hand on your tank for braking. This will allow your passenger to brace themselves on something stable without impacting you as a driver.

3) when starting you deceleration use the rear brake. This doesn't launch your passenger forward from using hard braking in the front.

4) passenger always leans with you and follows through the turn with their eyesight.

This should really help you as your passenger will not be as intrusive on your ride. It is also safer then holding on to that little strap in-between their legs. Let me know how it goes. Cheers.

Also rev-match when down shifting so they do not get launched forward.

2) have your passenger keep her right hand on your tank for braking. This will allow your passenger to brace themselves on something stable without impacting you as a driver.

Excellent advice!!! This really helped the rider that took me, also try and convince her to ride herself haha, I love riding now so much but it also made me a better 2 up rider.

Jenn

Back
Top Bottom