First cars | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

First cars

My first car was a 1974 Dodge Dart Sport. I wanted to get a 1969 Mercury Cougar, but couldn't get anyone to drive me to see it, so I settled for a Dodge like this:

R.9b4adb034f16f37b2e06ebb3ee4af62c
340 or 318?

Very lightweight. Car was loaded and had A/C. Paid $1000 for it. I actually looked into buying one a few years ago just to relive my youth but couldn't find one decent under $30,000. Insane.
Anything mopar is crazy money.

One on my bucket list is a 69 cuda fastback
This is the sexiest car in my opinion ever built.
1632361532955.jpeg

Last edited:
Anything mopar is crazy money.

One on my bucket list is a 69 cuda fastback
This is the sexiest car in my opinion ever built.
View attachment 51412
Uncle's was blue. It was in the shop most of the time.
Javelin is sexier IMHO.

My grandpa's 1988 Ford Taurus in a beige-ish champagne color with beige seats. The Beigemobile. The main thing I remember is the digital speedo/dashboard which seemed to be from the future.

Screenshot_2018-10-29-1988-Ford-Taurus-LX-eBay26[1].jpg

What a machine.

v1-2.jpg

My grandpa's 1988 Ford Taurus in a beige-ish champagne color with beige seats. The Beigemobile. The main thing I remember is the digital speedo/dashboard which seemed to be from the future.

What a machine.

the jelly bean. that was actually a game changer for Ford. good car for its time.

View attachment 51418

What a machine.

v1-2.jpg
Were those hubcaps or the alloys that looked like hub caps? I'm still not sure why ford made alloys that looked so similar to steel wheels with hubcaps but they liked doing that for a while.

Were those hubcaps or the alloys that looked like hub caps? I'm still not sure why ford made alloys that looked so similar to steel wheels with hubcaps but they liked doing that for a while.
My memory is failing me but I assume that they were alloys, otherwise I would've lost all of them on the potholed streets of Montreal.

I'm surprised to learn that its power to weight ratio is almost exactly the same as that of my 2020 Nissan Kicks with its 122-hp 4-banger. I would've bet a lot of money that the Taurus was significantly quicker.

My memory is failing me but I assume that they were alloys, otherwise I would've lost all of them on the potholed streets of Montreal.

I'm surprised to learn that its power to weight ratio is almost exactly the same as that of my 2020 Nissan Kicks with its 122-hp 4-banger. I would've bet a lot of money that the Taurus was significantly quicker.
When the old boats leaned back under acceleration, even 0-60 in 12 seconds felt quicker that it really was. Modern suspension has made cars feel much slower (or alternatively, be much safer at much higher speeds).

Best I could find 1/4 mi time:
Taurus 90hp 4-banger <> 19.8
Kicks 122hp 4-banger <> 17.4
Curious cats needed to know :p

ynHlLTtTaoRgO_e9IiaDgtOF7uyYYETWu3OmK2H-tl17YOn6unu-QMOPjRdwyujYyugfFEQZpv2S3txG5RrbN55UX3iXDjD50Jauf0fpL4O9VB3FIWeRA1beq9oPIVA3I0tcy4nYn6eNCv9j_odqec0rCSUIQHWlHvFGlE_uVVMMbqsHjrHVlnw

83 Malibu wagon, baby.

Then I had an 89 Beretta with the 2.8 and the digital dashboard. Like @Matt Rain mentioned above, that **** felt downright futuristic back then. It was a fun car.

Then a 1991 Chevy Tracker. Shout out to @ifiddles lol - that thing was indeed an absolute blast from start to finish. If I found one in good condition today I'd probably buy it as a garage queen just for summer fun again.

Then a 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - the precursor to the bubble style. With the much maligned but freakin ballsy (almost 300 HP which was firmly in sportscar territory in the early 90's) 3.4L quad overhead cam engine. I nearly got myself in much trouble many times in that car, but hell yeah it was fun.

Sold that and bought an Asuna Sunrunner, for those that remember that short lived GM venture. Basically a Chevy Tracker with a different name - I missed the tracker that much.

Sold it and bought a 2001(ish?) Grand Prix GTP, newer body style with the bubble lights and the 3.8L supercharged. Drove that for years, alos lots of fun...loved that supercharger whine.

Sold that when I needed a truck for our camping years. In 2007 I Bought a 1997 Chevy 1-Ton crew cab dually turbo diesel. 21 feet of hauling beast. It was my daily driver until about 2016 or so when it was semi-retired to horse-hauling duty only.

Dodge Magnum AWD with the hemi. And it had some secrets under the hood. Back to the wagon roots. Hella fun but a few years in as was customary with most of the Magnums and 300's it needed $50,000 in front end work...so I sold it at the same time I sold the old truck.

Then came my Volt. Still driving that.

There was a few other cars in there for the wife over the years. A Pontiac Tempest (Pontiacs version of the Corsica), an AstroVan RS (the "Sport" version of the Astro), a Chevy Aveo......Chrysler 300, and now the Hyundai Ioniq.

Sold that and bought an Asuna Sunrunner, for those that remember that short lived GM venture.

Lots of brilliant GM failed ventures,

Geo, Asuna, Daewoo, Holden, Vauxhall, Saab, Saturn, Oldsmobile, Pontiac Hummer .

all gone to the great GM heaven. won't be surprise if I missed any others

never followed such a clueless company in my life.

Back
Top Bottom