Fire Spark Screen - cheap? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fire Spark Screen - cheap?

The spark screen is not so you don’t burn the house down or start a brush fire , it’s so you don’t burn a hole through the neighbours pool cover or car cover or canvas over thier patio set and end up in bylaw hell .
Do sparks travel 100+ ft , yes they can , and further , and in wind like last night they get brighter and hotter in the flight .

These bylaws aren’t to punish , they are to save us from ourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
People have been having fires in their backyards for years and there is no crazy outbreak of issues regarding this. Most people in town are doing it illegally as they are not aware of the bylaws and few of them have 50 square feet to get a permit with the old bylaw.

How far are we willing to go to have the government protect us from ourselves? Really they should mandate healthy eating, exercise, etc. I mean it would be best for us so lets just let them control every aspect of our life. I can afford a spark screen, not everyone is going through covid as well as I am, so needing to spend a couple hundred dollars at least for a spark screen so you can have a simple fire in your backyard is in my opinion over the top.

I would think most regions have bylaws for fires in high winds as it is, so think a lot of these rules just double up and make things more restricting.

People have been having fires in their backyards for years and there is no crazy outbreak of issues regarding this. Most people in town are doing it illegally as they are not aware of the bylaws and few of them have 50 square feet to get a permit with the old bylaw.

How far are we willing to go to have the government protect us from ourselves? Really they should mandate healthy eating, exercise, etc. I mean it would be best for us so lets just let them control every aspect of our life. I can afford a spark screen, not everyone is going through covid as well as I am, so needing to spend a couple hundred dollars at least for a spark screen so you can have a simple fire in your backyard is in my opinion over the top.

I would think most regions have bylaws for fires in high winds as it is, so think a lot of these rules just double up and make things more restricting.
I hazard a guess that more fire destruction has been caused by smokers than backyard fire pits. It isn't apples to apples due to the numbers though.

I'm missing the point on the 50 square feet. That's an eight foot diameter circle. Fifty foot minimum distance to a structure or fireload would sound like more of a safety zone.

While I have enjoyed a few evenings around a fire pit I understand the concern. Common sense isn't common anymore and responsibility isn't built in. Is a couple of hundred dollars too much to spend to prevent possibly burning down a house?

What fire suppression methods would you typically have on hand if the fire or flying embers got out of hand?

In a rural setting. Go nuts. In a typical suburban setting. You are going to have neighbors that don't share your enthusiasm. That's what bylaws are for.

In a rural setting. Go nuts. In a typical suburban setting. You are going to have neighbors that don't share your enthusiasm. That's what bylaws are for.
When I was a landlord in New Toronto my tenants always complained about 'why can't we have a fire in the backyard...it's legal' lol

When they moved out, they had a big bonfire in the backyard about 20ft from their neighbours...I don't believe it ended well as the fire department showed up after I left.

All the neighbours around me have fire pits, as do most many people in the community. Mine is probably one of the few that actually has the space and is not pushing up against a fence.

Bylaws are there or should be there for things like disturbing the peace, if you just don't like fires then that really should not be on them to take that away from someone else.
I hazard a guess that more fire destruction has been caused by smokers than backyard fire pits. It isn't apples to apples due to the numbers though.

I'm missing the point on the 50 square feet. That's an eight foot diameter circle. Fifty foot minimum distance to a structure or fireload would sound like more of a safety zone.

While I have enjoyed a few evenings around a fire pit I understand the concern. Common sense isn't common anymore and responsibility isn't built in. Is a couple of hundred dollars too much to spend to prevent possibly burning down a house?
That is what it was before, which made it basically impossible for anyone to get a permit thus leaving the majority of the population doing it illegally and possibly subject to a $300 fine.

It is not an issue for me to spend the money, the issue is for people who cannot afford this or are cash tight at the moment thanks to the lock downs and the pandemic. One can go out and buy wood from a farmer for $5, they could have a fire ring already, many houses here have them as the houses are not new, my house is a120+ years old. So now you can enjoy some spaced out time with family or friends, outside, on the cheap. Not everyone does this as regularly as I do, usually out at least once a week so the cost to me is warranted to get a permit, others it is not for those few times here and there over a summer. Neighbouring city Kitchener has no need for permits, no spark screens, dense populated area, few simple common sense rules like don't have a fire in high winds, be a few meters away from a structure, then be an adult and you are good to go. These spark screens were not in the bylaw before which was more restrictive and I am sure something would have been done a lot sooner to change this if they were really causing a problem.

All the neighbours around me have fire pits, as do most many people in the community. Mine is probably one of the few that actually has the space and is not pushing up against a fence.

Bylaws are there or should be there for things like disturbing the peace, if you just don't like fires then that really should not be on them to take that away from someone else.

That is what it was before, which made it basically impossible for anyone to get a permit thus leaving the majority of the population doing it illegally and possibly subject to a $300 fine.

It is not an issue for me to spend the money, the issue is for people who cannot afford this or are cash tight at the moment thanks to the lock downs and the pandemic. One can go out and buy wood from a farmer for $5, they could have a fire ring already, many houses here have them as the houses are not new, my house is a120+ years old. So now you can enjoy some spaced out time with family or friends, outside, on the cheap. Not everyone does this as regularly as I do, usually out at least once a week so the cost to me is warranted to get a permit, others it is not for those few times here and there over a summer. Neighbouring city Kitchener has no need for permits, no spark screens, dense populated area, few simple common sense rules like don't have a fire in high winds, be a few meters away from a structure, then be an adult and you are good to go. These spark screens were not in the bylaw before which was more restrictive and I am sure something would have been done a lot sooner to change this if they were really causing a problem.
Would the situation be the same if your neighbors didn't have firepits?

Your argument is basically that you want to do something that is banned and it doesn't matter if someone else disagrees. You haven't yet posted any facts such as distances to other structures, fire loads or available fire suppression should things get out of hand.

There seems to be an assumption that everyone with a fire pit is knowledgeable in ignition, fire control and suppression.

Years ago we had a trailer in a decent seasonal park and every site had a truck rim fire pit. The sites were not huge and we enjoyed a few fires, usually visiting at other trailers. However a drunk at another site decided to go big by throwing an accelerant on his, blistering the paint on a nearby car.

We have laws and rules so we can minimize surprises. We have drivers licenses so we know to drive on the right, not where we like. Our houses are wired by competent trades that don't run 18/2 lamp cord because it usually works for most stuff.

The part that is hard for many to understand is the difference between passive and aggressive. A person that doesn't make noise doesn't intrude on another's peace and quite. That is passive. A person with a loud radio can intrude on another person's peace and quiet and telling the passive person to "Not listen" doesn't work.

A person with no fire can't affect you. You, having a fire can affect them. They may not object to the fire itself but some people may have asthma and suffer. They have rights as well.

I live in Toronto and the closest I can get to a fire outside of a fireplace is a charcoal BBQ. I don't even think I'm allowed a chiminea.

"Are wood burning fireplaces allowed in Toronto?

Under the Ontario Fire Code, anything that qualifies as open-air burning is forbidden. That includes fire bowls and pits, bonfires, outdoor fireplaces, sky lanterns, chimineas, incinerators, burn drums — essentially anything that's fueled by wood.Oct 31, 2020"

The catch point seems to be the cost of a legal screen, a couple of hundred dollars. I understand that a couple of hundred dollars to one person is an expensive bottle of wine and to another, needed groceries for the family or a dental bill.

I agree that a fire pit sounds great. There is something soothing about a wood fire, fresh air with a whiff of smoke and starlight. Sometimes we can't have what we want.

This was an interesting observation yesterday....was driving home through Mississauga and there was a family/friends group that had a literal open pit fire inside of their garage!

Never even considered to have a fire INSIDE of the garage.

This was an interesting observation yesterday....was driving home through Mississauga and there was a family/friends group that had a literal open pit fire inside of their garage!

Never even considered to have a fire INSIDE of the garage.
Keeps the floor of the bedrooms above warm.

Just for kicks I called Mississauga Fire...and they said it's legal so long as it's being done in a safe manner.

Go figure.
I gave some firewood to property manager I knew and then some time later offered him some more.

He declined the second offer. They had a wood stove in the garage and would go there to smoke and keep the house smoke free because of the kids. Then they burned down the detached garage and insurance said they wouldn't pay out a second time.

Mississauga and I assume not a safe fire.

I gave some firewood to property manager I knew and then some time later offered him some more.

He declined the second offer. They had a wood stove in the garage and would go there to smoke and keep the house smoke free because of the kids. Then they burned down the detached garage and insurance said they wouldn't pay out a second time.

Mississauga and I assume not a safe fire.
If you manage to burn down a building using an airtight stove, you have major problems in installation or maintenance.

If you manage to burn down a building using an airtight stove, you have major problems in installation or maintenance.
He wasn't much of a property manager either. He unsuccessfully ran for MPP and sent dinner fund raiser invitations to all the contacts on his email list. He did one message and clicked on Send to all which gave everyone on the list all of his contacts. A good number replied by return that they didn't like much about his abilities (I'm being polite). They too clicked on Reply to all.

They all have fire pits as do most people in town. Houses on the side, houses on the back, they all have fire pits without spark screens.
That's what makes them agreeable. A friend lives in Keswickistan and had backyard fires for years with no issues. Got new prick neighbours and they were off to the races. Georgina requires something like 50' to any flammable structure. Unless you have a lot that is 1/2 acre or bigger you are out of compliance. No more fires for my friend.

Back
Top Bottom