Fire Spark Screen - cheap? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fire Spark Screen - cheap?

wonderings

So my small town has changed its back yard fire pit bylaw making it easier to get a permit. Previously you had to have 50 square feet of free space around the pit to get a permit. I was pretty happy with the change as I was close to having that space but not close enough, now I am well within the new bylaws. The downside I found today is I have to have a fire spark screen, not sure why other then they don't trust people to be adults and want to bubble wrap everything... anyways the cost of these spark screens are a bit ridiculous. Anyone know where to get something cheap that would preferably come down and go up really quick? Not that I would ever have a fire without it on and only have it sitting to throw on if someone came by to inspect.... I found one that is a dome shaped and half of up slides up leaving the other half open, of course that is $250 and am hoping for some cheaper options as I hate paying for something I disagree with. Any creative ideas anyone here has done themselves?

So my small town has changed its back yard fire pit bylaw making it easier to get a permit. Previously you had to have 50 square feet of free space around the pit to get a permit. I was pretty happy with the change as I was close to having that space but not close enough, now I am well within the new bylaws. The downside I found today is I have to have a fire spark screen, not sure why other then they don't trust people to be adults and want to bubble wrap everything... anyways the cost of these spark screens are a bit ridiculous. Anyone know where to get something cheap that would preferably come down and go up really quick? Not that I would ever have a fire without it on and only have it sitting to throw on if someone came by to inspect.... I found one that is a dome shaped and half of up slides up leaving the other half open, of course that is $250 and am hoping for some cheaper options as I hate paying for something I disagree with. Any creative ideas anyone here has done themselves?

Alternatively, 1/8" hardware cloth should do the trick. Find someone with a roll and it will be cheap. Unfortunately rolls are 100' so if you have to buy one to make a single screen you won't be saving much.

You can buy that on amazon in various sizes, I would still need to fabricate something as it technically is supposed to be on all the time. Every time I deal or follow anything concerning bylaws it just gets so irritating!

You can buy that on amazon in various sizes, I would still need to fabricate something as it technically is supposed to be on all the time. Every time I deal or follow anything concerning bylaws it just gets so irritating!
Agree. Obviously you need access to tend the fire. I don't see a huge difference between lifting a lid and opening a door but by-laws aren't always logical. What specific wording do you need to comply with?

Agree. Obviously you need access to tend the fire. I don't see a huge difference between lifting a lid and opening a door but by-laws aren't always logical. What specific wording do you need to comply with?
There has to be a spark screen on the fire, so can't have one beside the fire pit, has to be on. This is my last resort option if I can't make or find something cheaper that gives me as close to an open fire as possible.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 12.11.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 12.11.10 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
There has to be a spark screen on the fire, so can't have one beside the fire pit, has to be on. This is my last resort option if I can't make or find something cheaper that gives me as close to an open fire as possible.
So it doesn't have to cover the entire fire? Just needs to be on there? A piece of hardware cloth over part of the pit meets that definition.

Go to Home Depot and buy the mesh that goes under ceramic tile , $12.00 for a 3x8 sht .hardware cloth burns through as the wires are a bit small . Buy some sq tube and tack up ( or go to local weld shop with your pcs ) and make a frame , wire tie the mesh to the frame . Our cottage plan is a mesh box self supporting and wire tied together and a couple loops on top , pc of conduit goes through to lift it off .
Yes it’s as ugly as it sounds and cost $12.00

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

So it doesn't have to cover the entire fire? Just needs to be on there? A piece of hardware cloth over part of the pit meets that definition.
it has to be fully covered, this has a door that opens up half way. It slides down so if an inspector came a quick nudge of the foot and it would be fully covered. What it is supposed to be for is to let you roast a hot dog or marshmallow, something like that. Wonder if that would be a loop hole to not have it on the fire at all if cooking, could have something beside the pit but not on because I am cooking

Go to Home Depot and buy the mesh that goes under ceramic tile , $12.00 for a 3x8 sht .hardware cloth burns through as the wires are a bit small . Buy some sq tube and tack up ( or go to local weld shop with your pcs ) and make a frame , wire tie the mesh to the frame . Our cottage plan is a mesh box self supporting and wire tied together and a couple loops on top , pc of conduit goes through to lift it off .
Yes it’s as ugly as it sounds and cost $12.00

Really looking for something that is as close to not there as possible, I don't want a spark screen at all.

If I was going DIY I’d build the tallest screen I could reasonably speaking. Having said that check your local codes and I don’t condone any unauthorized burns

If I was going DIY I’d build the tallest screen I could reasonably speaking. Having said that check your local codes and I don’t condone any unauthorized burns

Part of me wonders about incorporating an inverted top hat to reflect heat down at the people. It should minimally affect the fire.

How about something like this.....

1641417763839.png

Open it up when having the fire. Anyone shows up, fold it up into a pyramid and it's covered still.

May have to fabricate it....but it would give you the open fire feel...with a quick securing possible.

Depending on your skill level...

1641417918428.png

I opted for one like the image I posted earlier. Found an open box deal on it and the size is large, 36" and with 18". I am going to question if it is needed when cooking, I am assuming it won't be needed as they would have to be real specific on the type of spark screen you can use or they would have to outright ban hot dogs and marshmallows... unless of course they think you can do that by holding close to the spark screen which is hopefully no the case. If it goes how I think it will I will have the screen on the side to throw on if needed. Love that freedom!

I did hear back from the fire inspector I was contacting and when cooking the spark screen is not needed. I plan on being a slow eater and a slow roaster of hot dogs! Looking forward to getting some fires in soon, missed it already this winter. Just need the screen to come in and to schedule an inspection to get this fire going!

I did hear back from the fire inspector I was contacting and when cooking the spark screen is not needed. I plan on being a slow eater and a slow roaster of hot dogs! Looking forward to getting some fires in soon, missed it already this winter. Just need the screen to come in and to schedule an inspection to get this fire going!
Inspection? Hard core. Our municipality requires me to read the rules and pay $15 annually (thanks for the reminder). No proactive inspection but most fines $300+ if they look after and decide you are out of compliance.

The spark screen is not so you don’t burn the house down or start a brush fire , it’s so you don’t burn a hole through the neighbours pool cover or car cover or canvas over thier patio set and end up in bylaw hell .
Do sparks travel 100+ ft , yes they can , and further , and in wind like last night they get brighter and hotter in the flight .

These bylaws aren’t to punish , they are to save us from ourselves.

Without going into details as I have no pony in the race, I would pick up a couple of lengths of EMT and borrow a bender. Flatten one end of the L shaped lengths and put a bolt through. Screw a mesh to the frame. Basic tent frame.

The spark screen is not so you don’t burn the house down or start a brush fire , it’s so you don’t burn a hole through the neighbours pool cover or car cover or canvas over thier patio set and end up in bylaw hell .
Do sparks travel 100+ ft , yes they can , and further , and in wind like last night they get brighter and hotter in the flight .

These bylaws aren’t to punish , they are to save us from ourselves.

My SIL lives near Boulder CO. and was in England during the fires. She's OK but the fire stopped just short of her workplace. Some of her coworkers may not have been as lucky.

There was a video on how the fire torched its way through a neighbourhood and it was scary. All it takes is a spark to end up in a leaf filled eaves trough, then the shingles go.

My daughter went through the Ft Mac fire , watching the fire jump a 4 lane hyway was impressive

Back
Top Bottom