Fire pot warning | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fire pot warning

nobbie48

Site Supporter
As the weather cools one of these rigs may be tempting. In case you haven't seen the risks:

Keep in mind that a similar thing could happen pouring gasoline into a hot engine.

Um, no.
That's alcohol
and you don't pour gasoline into a burning pot :| or at least you shouldn't.

The gasoline into the hot engine is a stretch but not impossible. Maybe the exhaust header will be hot enough to autoignite, but not much else, you need over 500F.

I would be surprised if these ethanol fire deaths were not also closely linked to ethanol consumption. Who pours flammable liquid into a fire without making damn sure it is out?

I'm trying to figure out how somebody could not see the danger there, you don't pour liquid fuel on any fire.
Highly recommend you don't throw gun powder into a campfire either, is a really really bad idea.

I'm trying to figure out how somebody could not see the danger there, you don't pour liquid fuel on any fire.
Highly recommend you don't throw gun powder into a campfire either, is a really really bad idea.
Oblivious people + hard to see flame. Is it that hard to figure out?

BTW do recommend recycling or burning li-ion batteries? Asking for a friend.

Ethanol flames burn almost colourless, especially in daylight. The victims probably didn't realize the flame wasn't out.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Victims probably didn't have a clue what the guy was doing or they would have run.

Ethanol flames burn almost colourless, especially in daylight. The victims probably didn't realize the flame wasn't out.

Just because I can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there. Put the lid on for a bit, then remove the lid and hold your hand over to feel for heat. Same game as guns. Assume they are loaded until you prove otherwise.

Yeah, that's what I'd do. I didn't have a very sheltered childhood. I learned early on about accelerants

Oblivious people + hard to see flame. Is it that hard to figure out?

BTW do recommend recycling or burning li-ion batteries? Asking for a friend.
Have your friend burn them, use the same fire for your spent propane cylinders. (Don't forget to film it, the fire makes pretty colours).

Have your friend burn them, use the same fire for your spent propane cylinders. (Don't forget to film it, the fire makes pretty colours).
If the cylinder is actually spent, almost nothing happens. Even if it's full, putting it in a normal fire just gives you a flame jet.

The gasoline into the hot engine is a stretch but not impossible. Maybe the exhaust header will be hot enough to autoignite, but not much else, you need over 500F.

I would be surprised if these ethanol fire deaths were not also closely linked to ethanol consumption. Who pours flammable liquid into a fire without making damn sure it is out?

I actually was called to evaluate fire damaged equipment in a parking garage. The guy tried to refuel a pressure washer and must have spilled gas on the exhaust. It may even has been running. They don't hire geniuses to wash garage floors.The fire destroyed the washer and the damage to the equipment was unrepairable. $50,000 to $100,000 estimate to replace.

Safety tip: Take a coffee break before refuelling.

I actually was called to evaluate fire damaged equipment in a parking garage. The guy tried to refuel a pressure washer and must have spilled gas on the exhaust. It may even has been running. They don't hire geniuses to wash garage floors.The fire destroyed the washer and the damage to the equipment was unrepairable. $50,000 to $100,000 estimate to replace.

Safety tip: Take a coffee break before refuelling.
Running is a whole different story. Lots of sources of ignition then. Be thankful the guy didn't kill himself with CO, that seems to be the normal F-up for the parking garage cleaning crews.

people blow up fondue pots, patio heaters, butane stoves and race cars.

if burnable fuel is involved you can bet there is a youtube video someplace with a feature.

Like others said, many cases the person thought the flame was out, the existing fuel was almost spent and the flame was very low and hard to see. Yes they should have checked better but people do stupid things all the time, and sometimes people just have a brain fart or maybe they consumed too much of the "fuel" themselves...

I am sure other cases the people were just stupid and thought they could just top it up while going...

Like others said, many cases the person thought the flame was out, the existing fuel was almost spent and the flame was very low and hard to see. Yes they should have checked better but people do stupid things all the time, and sometimes people just have a brain fart or maybe they consumed too much of the "fuel" themselves...

I am sure other cases the people were just stupid and thought they could just top it up while going...
Flame arrestor on the bottles have few downsides. For the amount they charge for the fuel, they can eat the dime for an arrestor. Hell 151 has one and it should be much less likely to be poured into a fire.

Life and death often depends on the "Gee. I didn't know that" factor. If you survive enough of the mishaps you might become smart.

Back
Top Bottom