Finishing basement with no permit | GTAMotorcycle.com

Finishing basement with no permit

DOHC1

We are looking to get our basement finished... some people say **** the permit and just get it done, while others tell me to ALWAYS get a permit.
What are the ramifications of say finishing a basement (with walkout exit) without a permit? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks

your risk..... one thing I can advise, make sure the "walkout exit" is done right. Its not as simple as excavating and cutting a hole in the foundation wall

your risk..... one thing I can advise, make sure the "walkout exit" is done right. Its not as simple as excavating and cutting a hole in the foundation wall

Can you please elaborate on that? Of course a contractor would be doing the job (I'd be too scared to start cutting into the house), but how do I know its being done "right"?

There are some differences between municipalities, but usually there is a Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) permit/inspection and a municipality building permit/inspection that also includes plumbing.

Not getting an ESA permit/inspection may result in fines for the electrician and potential trouble with your insurance coverage. You may need to remove drywall etc. to get an inspection done later.

Not getting a building permit may result in trouble with the municipality, i.e. an order to remove drywall to allow for an inspection of the insulation. For notable changes to the structure such as cutting the foundation wall for a larger windows or a walk-out, they'll ask for an architectural drawing approved by a professional engineer and good luck getting something like this after the fact. Moving support beams, etc will also fall into that category.

If you're going to rent it out, not following rules such as fire separation, smoke detectors, egress windows, could even result in criminal charges to yourself should something bad happen in the future (fire/death). On future resale, a savvy buyer could catch the lack of building or electrical permits and could use this as a price negotiation point or even walk-away. The original contractors don't care, because they have your money for what you paid them to do and it is not up to them to ensure you followed the bylaws and regulations.

If you're just adding stud walls, drywall, fixtures to an existing plumbing rough-in, then I'd recommend an ESA permit/inspection at a minimum. If you're doing more than that (cutting the foundation walls, breaking the floor for new drains, etc) then best to follow the formal route to get approved plans, permits, and inspections.

No permit to cut a hole in you foundation wall? I'd want some approved drawings by way of permit. Any contractor that does it without permit I wouldn't deal with.

... how do I know its being done "right"?
- they'll have a drawing/plan approved (stamped) by a professional engineer, this will be filed with the city for a permit (before work is started) and the construction will be inspected by the city building inspector at certain times resulting in a closed permit.

Why would you even consider this type of work without permits and inspections?

We'll see you on the next episode of Holmes on Homes....

Sent from my Passport

I'm guessing that no one that has responded so far is Italian lol.
All kidding aside, someone else doing the work for you? Get the permits.
And to expand on the cutting of the walkout; usually you need to add a drain, inside and out. As well as underpin the base under the houses' foundation. Not a small job. You're looking at about $15k just for the walkout. If you have the room, a double door walkout kicks ***.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Can you please elaborate on that? Of course a contractor would be doing the job (I'd be too scared to start cutting into the house), but how do I know its being done "right"?

you have to underpin footings to maintain the 4 feet of frost protection.... and you can't just have a 4 foot step in the footing ...I believe its 2 foot maximum.

Plus, you would most likely have to provide a drain on the outside of the door.

Now we're talking!

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Hiring a contractor I would get a permit. Even more important if they are doing anything structural. Part of the process when done with a permit is inspection to make sure things are done to code. You may also need electrical and plumbing permits and the person doing this work cannot just be a GC, they need to be licensed.

If I was doing it myself and I was not doing anything structural (just studding and drywall), I would likely skip it. If it was anything structural but still DIY, get a permit.

I can understand how much of a pita getting a permit is, but for something this significant (structural changes) the permits are required for your protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just took a look at the TO permit fee schedule. It's like splitting the atom holy crow a permit could run into the hundreds of $$$.

Just took a look at the TO permit fee schedule. It's like splitting the atom holy crow a permit could run into the hundreds of $$$.

Still much cheaper than not getting one, and having to fix it later.

If you were just slapping up walls, etc. probably not a big deal to go without a permit. Structural changes=permit.

Thanks for reminding me...been looking at houses and keep getting outbid...time to re-open the building UP option on our place...just requested the original drawings for our building to slowly start the process. I figure I've got some time.

As per my original thread the modular is the top option, but am looking into others.

Sorry to derail....OP....definitely get permits. You don't want to get shafted down the line for something that doesn't cost all that much and will protect you in the future. Should anything happen insurance, and the City can go after you later for not having the proper permits...why take the risk to save a bit of $?

Trying to imagine what an insurance company would say if something fails and it can be linked back to the work done without a permit.

Back
Top Bottom