fergie-gee's super duper fz6 build thread! | GTAMotorcycle.com

fergie-gee's super duper fz6 build thread!

fergie.g

Site Supporter
Hey guys, welcome to my fz6 build thread. Over the coming weeks I will be updating this with mods that I will be doing to my 2006 FZ6. You can check out my youtube.com channel here and my blog here.

Parts I already have:

Convertibars adjustable clip ons

Parts ordered, waiting to arrive:

Rizoma Avio LED rear signal lights
Watsen Flush Mount front signal lights
Fender Eliminator
Rizoma Sportline Grips
Rizoma Billet Bar Ends
Rizoma Adjustable Rearsets
Scorpion Carbon Slip-Ons

Minor details include:

Reflective red wheel tape

That's it for now. Next season I will strip her down and do a FULL naked conversion.

Pretty much the same things I've done on my bike.
Once the weather warms up I'll be re-painting mine.

Please post up a thorough review of the convertibars.

LMAO, yeah I just took them off last night, picking up the parts at Niagara Falls on Saturday so needless to say, I'm excited about the conversion.

Are you going naked?

Thank god you're taking those horrendous stickers off!

Heres a walk around of mine at it's current state as of 2 years ago. It's getting a face lift this year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebmubPgRQdI

vBlog walk around of the existing ride. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnxW15rHWEY

U should really reconsider dropping the front end more than a half inch. Unless of course you are just gonna pose at tim hortons with it...

You think new rearsets are gonna be one of the biggest factors in performance?
Wow

Save your money and get the front end revalved/sprung/adjusted for your weight and riding style. Or put the money from the rearsets toward a higher end shock.

LMAO, yeah I just took them off last night, picking up the parts at Niagara Falls on Saturday so needless to say, I'm excited about the conversion.

Are you going naked?
I'm keeping the plastics as is, I'm just fixing some dings from the previous owner and doing an arctic white/ gunmetal type paint scheme. The paint job on it now was done poorly, thin in spots etc.

Save your money and get the front end revalved/sprung/adjusted for your weight and riding style. Or put the money from the rearsets toward a higher end shock.
+1, I really wish my forks were firmer so I could feel like I could have better control in the corners without the nose diving in.
Could also perform an R6 conversion for the forks.

Sorry, I'm a rookie at this. I was merely referring to body positioning when you enter a turn, it's more efficient it seems if you're already in that aggressive position to shift your body weight over. Not sure really, I'm only relating it to whatever I've experienced so far in the shortest amount of time riding. I apologize if I offended you or anyone else with higher knowledge when it comes to the subject.

And yes maybe 2" is a bit of an over kill, but it has been done on the fz6-forums with no real problems of bottoming out. Realistically maybe 3/4" is all I'd go for. You're absolutely correct about the forks getting revalved/sprung/adjusted, I'm planning on doing that next season along with the ohlins rear shock, I spent my considerably modest budget doing cosmetics, is there anything wrong with this?

U should really reconsider dropping the front end more than a half inch. Unless of course you are just gonna pose at tim hortons with it...

You think new rearsets are gonna be one of the biggest factors in performance?
Wow

I was thinking about that when I came across it at the fz6-forums.com, will you have to change the brake calipers as well or can you keep the stock, didn't really make a mention of it on the threads.

...Could also perform an R6 conversion for the forks.

I was thinking about that when I came across it at the fz6-forums.com, will you have to change the brake calipers as well or can you keep the stock, didn't really make a mention of it on the threads.

If you had the choice, you'd want the R6 brakes, and usually when you score a front end you get the whole thing.

I know our tripple clamps are a bit wider, so you need to get spacers on the front axle to use the R6 front wheel. And as fast as I know, you need the R6 front wheel because there are differences in the axle.
Pretty sure you also have to use the R6 front brakes as the calipers mount differently on the forks.

It's a mod I am seriously considering for when I have garage space in the winter to do it... If I could change anything on my bike, that would be it.

If I could change anything on my bike, that would be it.

x2 (or is that 3?)

I've had the stock forks shimmed already as much as can be done without revalving to better suit my weight, but it's still too soft up front. Revalving isn't worth it, might as well just do the R6 fork swap. Maybe next winter's project.

I want to see it done though, I wasn't able to find the level of detail on th fz6-forum that I'd like to have before I start a project like this so if I can kind of look over your shoulders or help along the way please let me.

vBlog walk around of the existing ride. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnxW15rHWEY

Hey fergie, I always thought you were a she! Looking forward to the write ups though, keep us posted.

I couldn't help notice the engine note sounds a little sick on the video. What's the mileage on her, and has she had spark plugs replaced, valves adjusted or anything like that yet?

Oh yeah, and a big drop in the front is a bad idea unless you match it at the rear. Maybe 1/2 inch maximum. It's not that it can't be done it's just that it messes up the geometry, you could be braking into a dip in the road one day and then find that your steering decides to go L or R all on it's own. Don't do it, please.

Last edited:
x2 (or is that 3?)

I've had the stock forks shimmed already as much as can be done without revalving to better suit my weight, but it's still too soft up front. Revalving isn't worth it, might as well just do the R6 fork swap. Maybe next winter's project.

I want to see it done though, I wasn't able to find the level of detail on th fz6-forum that I'd like to have before I start a project like this so if I can kind of look over your shoulders or help along the way please let me.

I have found threads on it where it was fully documented... Check out SBN.com (super bike network) I think that is where I might have seen it. Either there or the FZ6 forum.

Removing a lot of the factory plastic crap makes it looookk way better....

nope, the diameters are the same.
However, I'm positive I saw someone with the newer inverted type forks installed on the FZ6, so they had to put on the R6 triple clamps as well, and that was a whole other deal with head tubes and bearings and such.

Back
Top Bottom