Feds plan to melt ICE | Page 13 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Feds plan to melt ICE

Umm, ok... we were taught in high school how to use slide rulers. I still have mine some where.

I was wearing a rotary slide rule yesterday.

ABLVV84nY21cDhyRtJfm9z_3Bo3ZjJVzgd7jmwzs7zq16Jy__nnnIssNsjhfGHE7lxkpJJysB9thjXSif8MUTJ3a2qf5MacQs_ZxjY7QyVZ4bH_6cwozMCV_zzSSLM5w22zdbkXIK8ASXO7s_uFmO9QMdbZM=w539-h778-s-no-gm

If this is a contest does the hand crank (for starting) on my 1982 Lada Niva 4X4 win a prize? Also the russkie manual suggested filtering the brake fluid before reusing it.
Isnt Lada Owners a Darwin Prize category?

100 amp service here. My charger is set to 24 amps (on a 30 amp circuit).

100a service here too charging 2, sometimes 3 Volts nightly in our driveway, 2 on 240v16A chargers (only a 20a circuit needed for each) and the third on the 120v slow charger.

If this is a contest does the hand crank (for starting) on my 1982 Lada Niva 4X4 win a prize? Also the russkie manual suggested filtering the brake fluid before reusing it.

The Lada Niva may have been perfect for an audience that just didn’t get it . Electronic nothing , drum brakes all around , manual tranny with a hi/lo , there are probably still several hundred thousand rolling around Eastern Europe .
We can’t figure out why SUVs cost 70k , but nobody sells a ‘basic’ vehicle in Canada . Even a bottom end Tacoma with manual transmission is special order . The niva was both ahead and behind its time .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

We can’t figure out why SUVs cost 70k , but nobody sells a ‘basic’ vehicle in Canada . Even a bottom end Tacoma with manual transmission is special order . The niva was both ahead and behind its time .
A buddy tried to buy a basic short cab, long box Ford F150 pickup farm truck a couple of years ago (before Covid).
Six to eight months wait, made in Mexico - the dealer said they never get orders except for fleet use and would never justify putting one on the lot. Sad really.

My dad used to tell me he didn't even see a calculator until 2nd year at U of T(70s), you'll note i said 'see', not 'use'.

His big surprise was having the computer shrink from the wall of a large room into a hand held cell phone.
My father still has his slide rule that he used at U of T, and he graduated in '69. He is still old school when it comes to math. Everything is done by hand first, and maybe checked with a calculator but only maybe.

A buddy tried to buy a basic short cab, long box Ford F150 pickup farm truck a couple of years ago (before Covid).
Six to eight months wait, made in Mexico - the dealer said they never get orders except for fleet use and would never justify putting one on the lot. Sad really.
In the late 90's every private fleet or government vehicle that was sold from the dealer I worked at were the quintessential plain Jane stripped down models. Durham Region was the first municipality to order A/C on their vehicles. A year or two later, all the municipal tenders required A/C.

Once that happened power windows and all of the other comforts worked their way into the standard order list and the OEM's stopped putting out those basic stripped down versions as they are less profitable to manufacture and sell. Now they are essentially special order.

Everything has power windows now, because it's easier to just engineer and build tooling for one set of door innards and one common wiring harness and build 'em all the same. It would cost more to build another set of tooling and deal with another variant on the assembly line, than to just build them all with power windows.

I like the redundant engineering, your seats are manual but the power plug is right there , your trailer package is all wired , you didn’t order the plug or switch. One harness for the entire line up , you plug in the options .

The Niva was the motor vehicle equivalent of the Ford 8n farm tractor. Battery , motor, gear box . Park it on a hill so you can bump start it if the battery fails , ours was 70 yrs old when it was downgraded to the wagon puller only, but because the equipment got bigger , tractor is probably still running somewhere .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I like the redundant engineering, your seats are manual but the power plug is right there , your trailer package is all wired , you didn’t order the plug or switch. One harness for the entire line up , you plug in the options .

The Niva was the motor vehicle equivalent of the Ford 8n farm tractor. Battery , motor, gear box . Park it on a hill so you can bump start it if the battery fails , ours was 70 yrs old when it was downgraded to the wagon puller only, but because the equipment got bigger , tractor is probably still running somewhere .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
you could always get the upgrade and order the ford with the headlights

Everything has power windows now, because it's easier to just engineer and build tooling for one set of door innards and one common wiring harness and build 'em all the same. It would cost more to build another set of tooling and deal with another variant on the assembly line, than to just build them all with power windows.
Yup, that was the point in time I was referring to. Once the big contracts stopped ordering the base models, they stopped producing them unless special ordered.

It happened really fast. In ~5 years it went from base trucks, no options or AC being the standard to having guys bring trucks in because some little creature comfort feature was inop and the unionized drone that normally drives it now can't. This is a creature comfort that was not even an option on their last truck just 2 years prior, and now it's an emergency to fix it because they won't can't drive it.

It's the type of change in attitude I'd expect over a generation, not a body style.

100a service here too charging 2, sometimes 3 Volts nightly in our driveway, 2 on 240v16A chargers (only a 20a circuit needed for each) and the third on the 120v slow charger.
If you aren't using an electric stove or clothes drier, 100 amps is fine. I don't know how ESA rates combined loads. I am under the impression they allow shared loads where it is assumed you won't be using the pool heater and snow melting at the same time.

In the late 90's every private fleet or government vehicle that was sold from the dealer I worked at were the quintessential plain Jane stripped down models. Durham Region was the first municipality to order A/C on their vehicles. A year or two later, all the municipal tenders required A/C.

Once that happened power windows and all of the other comforts worked their way into the standard order list and the OEM's stopped putting out those basic stripped down versions as they are less profitable to manufacture and sell. Now they are essentially special order.
A friend drove a service van for an electrical contractor but because he wasn't a supervisor he wasn't supposed to get A/C. His next allotted van was a Chev Astro and it came with A/C as standard equipment. The company paid through the nose to have it taken out.

He was one of their top gung-ho employees. Now he's a project manager so he gets air.

If you aren't using an electric stove or clothes drier, 100 amps is fine. I don't know how ESA rates combined loads. I am under the impression they allow shared loads where it is assumed you won't be using the pool heater and snow melting at the same time.
If you don't have resistance heating (baseboard, ducted, driveway, pool, on-demand water heater) or a tesla, it is really hard to draw anywhere close to 100 amps even if you wanted to. Even if you have your electric oven/stove on, a/c on, dryer on, most are cycling and not on at the same time for an extended period. If you have resistance heat, as you know, it is really easy to get there.

The Lada Niva may have been perfect for an audience that just didn’t get it . Electronic nothing , drum brakes all around , manual tranny with a hi/lo , there are probably still several hundred thousand rolling around Eastern Europe .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
It was a cool car, kinda the eastern block version of the Suzuki Jimny.

Problem with Lada’s was a combination of Italian and Russian engineering and Russian build quality. While rugged and easy to repair, they were horribly unreliable, gutless, had a practical top speed of 80kmh, and used oil and fuel like a small block with 500k km.

Chev Astro and it came with A/C as standard equipment. The company paid through the nose to have it taken out.

He was one of their top gung-ho employees. Now he's a project manager so he gets air.

My company ordered new tractors in the late 90's specifically without AC one year - it was just before I got hired, but I heard it was in "retaliation" for something that had happened somewhere with our highway department, I don't really know. All I know is that it caused the company all sorts of grief in the end, guys refused to drive them when the weather was hot, they reportedly somehow magically seemed to "break down" frequently and be put out of service, etc etc.

They've never made that mistake again. They ended up getting rid of them all years before they'd have normally been retired.

Back
Top Bottom