Family gets parking tickets for parking in front of own house too long? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Family gets parking tickets for parking in front of own house too long?

ariesmars

When I visit my family they're always afraid someones going to get a ticket. I remember hearing about this happening, but, can't remember if parking police can give these types of tickets -can they?

Check your city bylaws. Most prohibit street parking beyond a certain amount of time regardless of whether you are a resident or not. In Ajax it's three hours on residential streets. That said though they don't usually issue tickets unless its winter (road must be clear for snow plows) or somebody complains.

Yes they can... usually there are signs posted limiting the time of day or length of time parked. They may own the house but not the street by the curb. I've received a couple in front of my own house. Even if there aren't signs, you'll get the 'ignorance of the law is no excuse' debacle from the JOP.

It's mainly to reduce congested roads and turning a residential area into a 1-lane road. Last visit to PO court had a few of those cases.

They can; most cities have a bylaw stating how long they park on a street for consecutively.

What city? Search for the parking on streets bylaw and it will tell you.

I'm in Mississauga and this is what it says:

On-Street Parking:
Parking on City streets is limited to three hours, unless otherwise posted. This offence is enforced on a complaint basis only. Signs advising the public of the three hour parking limit are posted at all major entrances to the City. (Traffic Consolidation By-law 555-00)

It might be one of your neighbours are complaining if it's anything like Mississauga.

A lot of cities and towns have by-laws to prohibit street parking from 2AM to 6AM without a permit.

Damn! Yeah, they're in T.O. so I guess they'll have to keep keeping their cars not parked on city roads....

Last edited:
i have a single lane driveway and when i swap the cars i usually leave one on the street. and its good there for three hours. then you gotta check for chalk marks and wipe those off... 80 percent of the time i'm good parked in front of my house. However i have a neighbor that has bylaw and parking patrol on speed dial. and will call if the wind blows dog piss in the wrong direction.
with that being said looking for a rider with laser guided aim when throwing eggs lol.

My uncle once got a ticket for moving a car with an expired license plate sticker onto the street for less then 2 minutes while he was moving cars around, so it all depends if your neighbors are the kind to report for small things or not.

I live a block from a hospital, and have spent well over a grand in parking tickets in the past few yrs.
On my street you can only park for an hr.
And all cars must be parked 2 metres (6 ft) from any driveway. I have had tickets for blocking or crowding a driveway....and it was my own damn driveway!!

thankfully, you don't own the street in front of your house (i'd hate to pay the bill to have to have it repaved).

You're paying for street frontage. Some municipalities have gotten bad since the province down loaded some roads from provincial to county.
If a house in TO pays $4K a year in taxes for 20 years = $80K. Repave half the width of the street X 40 to 50 feet isn't all that much in comparison.

Re the parking regs, they don't post all the limits on every lamp post. In many cases the general limits are posted at the city limits. You are expected to read them as you drive in.(?)

Every citizen is supposed to have a law degree :cool: I had my rental moving truck ticketed for parking over 3hrs. The city is strapped for cash and there are tens of millions of pure profit in enforcing certain bylaws.

When I visit my family they're always afraid someones going to get a ticket. I remember hearing about this happening, but, can't remember if parking police can give these types of tickets -can they?

On my street yes (Mississauga) you can and I have. There is no rule saying you live there you can park there.

This is my signature

Re the parking regs, they don't post all the limits on every lamp post. In many cases the general limits are posted at the city limits. You are expected to read them as you drive in.(?)

Every citizen is supposed to have a law degree :cool: I had my rental moving truck ticketed for parking over 3hrs. The city is strapped for cash and there are tens of millions of pure profit in enforcing certain bylaws.

Unfortunately in the courts eyes ignorance for the law is not an excuse.

Keep in mind, a lot of those by-laws exist for the benefit of homeowners. It's not a great feeling when you get new neighbours and they park an F-150 with two missing tires on the front lawn and the weeds slowly grow up through it. Try selling your house for max value when you have Hillbilly Bob beside you!! :) The 3 hour rule is generic..it's not generally enforced unless someone rats you out. Some people (especially 905'ers) feel cars should be towed if they're parked in the road for ANY time period!

I've accumulated a crap load of parking tickets in front of my house in north york. It's either the 3 hr rule or 'park between 2 and 6am' depending on which way they're hangin that day. I don't think it's due to complaints cause the entire neighbourhood parks on the street. It's just a cash cow for enforcement.

Once I asked parking enforcement to give me a break because my car had broken down... He did but he told me that my neighbourhood was under an old by-law or something which meant we'll get ticketed and aren't allowed to buy permits to boot. Sounds odd to me.

PSA- When house shopping, have your relator look for houses with driveways big enough to hold all your cars plus one.

PSA- When house shopping, have your relator look for houses with driveways big enough to hold all your cars plus one.

Wouldn't that make sense? Even so, some people are too lazy to shuffle cars so they'll park on their lawn..like, really? Nothing says crack-house like front lawn parking! Awesome!!

Wouldn't that make sense? Even so, some people are too lazy to shuffle cars so they'll park on their lawn..like, really? Nothing says crack-house like front lawn parking! Awesome!!

I do that overnight sometimes. I'm trying to sell one car, but every now and again I have to park on the lawn parallel to my driveway. I haven't gotten a ticket for doing it yet.

Back
Top Bottom