Eye surgery | GTAMotorcycle.com

Eye surgery

kneedraggin101

Has anyone gone for this? If so, who did you go too, and what costs, pain, recovery times etc did you experience..

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk

What type of eye surgery? Do you mean laser eye surgery? If so, there are several options the most popular are LASIK and PRK

I had PRK done. Cost was $4800 (student discount), went to the best place I could find (not gonna cheap out on eyes)... it was bochner eye institute they do all the professional players. Recovery time was long compared to LASIK, but this was a better option because my eyes were pretty bad.

Well my eyes aren't bad, but I m tired of missing the clear views of the world, missing my perfect vision. I've been told lasik would prob be what I need, and an all laser procedure is what I'd be looking at...

But looking for feedback from where everyone went and overall opinions of the operation

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk

I've got my surgery booked with Lasik MD (north york) in Sept. My dad had his eyes done there back in 2007. I've had 3 friends that have had their vision corrected at this location. years later, things are still amazing.

Recovery time varies dependent on the amount of correction, but a few days of down time and you're good to go. Follow ups are 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, and then yearly for 5 years. Then any checkup after that costs a fee (like an eye exam) but if they need to do surgery, it's included in their lifetime eye-care policy.

The consultation is free, they check you out, see if you're a candidate. My uncle was turned down because his vision was too bad for corrective surgery.

That's all I know for now, guess I'll let you know more in Sept.

And another really long winded descrip I wrote for a friend....apologies on the length:

So since my Laser Eye Surgery, I haven't been on the bike in about 4 weeks, and I've had a few PMs asking how it went etc etc...

June 5th 10:30am - Appointment time
-They ran over my post op instructions:
1) no windy, smoky, or dusty situations for 2-3 weeks
2) no sweating in your eyes, if you work out make sure you have a sweat band on your forehead
3) no water/soap in eyes
4) follow the eye drop schedule (you get about 4 different types of drops)
5) first 2 days are CRITICAL
6) you will wear the "goggles" (they give you these tinted swimming goggles to sleep in) when you leave the centre
7) wear the sunglasses when outside, goggles when you sleep or when indoors
8) first 2 days, try to minimize any reading, or computer/tv usage (basically you can socialize...and that's it)
9) some other stuff i can't remember

-by the time i got into the surgery room, took them about 5-10 min. to prep me
Prepping involved:
-cleaning around my eyes with some sort of iodine or something
-placing gauze on the sides of my eyes, by my ears to catch all the liquid
-testing the machine while i'm in the chair to make sure it runs properly, and that i get used to the sound and smell of the laser. There is a cover over the laser while they are running it through the test
-a stream of freezing drops are dropped into your eye
*felt like i was lying in an alien chair waiting for a friggin' anal probe...

Actual procedure starts about 10 minutes in.
First part: Creating the flap (approx. 5 min/eye)
-to keep your lid open during the procedure, they insert something to keep your lid open (a circular plastic thing)
-then they lock a "suction cup" into the plastic ring and swing you under one laser (there are two, one to create the flap, another to laser a part of the cornea) or at least it felt like two
-you feel some pressure on your eye for about 60 seconds, this is when the "flap" is being created...(feels like someone pushing a thumb into your eye socket)...uncomfortable and odd, but certainly not painful
-they swing you back to centre, where the surgeon use's this little tool the size of a lead pencil tip to "open the flap" (the laser cuts a through the top part of your cornea, sorta like creating a door that hasn't been opened)
*again not painful, but freaky as **** as you're staring right at this thing coming at your eye...can't feel a thing, but i think i shat myself a little
-the surgeon opens the flap (opening a door) then sways you under the other laser

Laser Cornea Part: (approx 20 sec/eye)
-the laser takes approx. 20 seconds to "shave down" your cornea into it's correct shape
-all the while you are focusing on the blinking orange light, you feel nothing, this is the least scarry part of the whole process
-the laser makes a loud clicking noise, and smells like it's burning hair, but if you're as scared as i was, you barely notice this.

Closing of the flap Part: (approx 2-3 min/eye)
-back to the surgeon to close and seal the flap.
-the surgeon very carefully with the pick looking thing flips the flap back over the eye, then takes a thing that looks like a spongy paintbrush but extremely small and runs over your eye several times to smooth out the flap and close it. There's some surgical glue that is sealing the flap back down.
-there's also some cold liquid that gets poured into your eye. Feels like cold water being poured over

They repeat this for the other eye, and you always have one eye covered.

From the moment I stepped into the surgery room to the min i stepped out...the whole thing took 30 min...prep and all...it was super quick
Prep is about 10 min
The laser and flap part are 16 min. in total
then the clean up for you to get up out of the chair and check is about 4 min.

Immediately after the surgery:
You leave feeling like someone smeared vaseline all over your glasses. Everything is extremely blurry, and bright. They help you put the goggles on.
Within 10 min. the freezing drops where off, and you feel like someone kicked sand in your eye, it feels itchy and scratchy, but not painful.
I was so exausted from it all that the second I got home, my bf helped me start my drop schedule, and I did what they told me to do, SLEEP. It's the best thing for your recovery, after all it is surgery.
**please note, you WILL need someone to a) care for you for at least the first night, your vision is incredibly blurred and your eye lids are swollen from the pulling and forced opening b) need someone to drive you home

Next day:
-go for post op first thing in the morning
-woke up with dry eyes, used the drops no issues
-wore sunglasses, still a little hazy around bright lights
20/20 vision though even with the haziness, tested 20/20 with partial 20/15
-focusing on near objects and far objects was a little fuzzy for me, but could still piece it all together
**the above was pretty much what I experienced for about 3 days

1week goes by:
-still 20/20, the hazziness around lights is starting to dissipate
-still on the drop schedule
-still following 'what to avoid'
-found that my focus on the laptop would be difficult at times. (ie. looking at the laptop for 3/4 hours then looking at something far and looking near again, felt like someone shook my screen until the letters stopped shaking and came back together)

2-3 weeks go by:
-my vision is completely perfect...partial 20/15 vision...so better than 20/20...

3-4 weeks:
-hazziness is completely gone. everything is sharp, night vision is PERFECT

I went to Yonge Eglinton Eye care centre:
http://www.yongeeglintonlaser.com/
It cost me $4,500 for both eyes
I saw Dr. Kumar (he is a part of their fellowship program, and the cheapest, but Dr. Rootman overlooks his work)

The amount depends on the doctor you go with, they are all opthomologists as well as surgeons, so they are all equally qualified. They usually range from $4500 to $6000 depending on your eyes (severity in prescription, corneal thickness etc)

The amount paid includes, lifetime warranty, drops, emergency on call surgeon, 4 post ops, extra appointments if anything is of concern, both sets of glasses.

If you're going to check out a few places for consults the top three are TLC, Herzing and Yonge Eg. I personallyl wouldn't recommend Lazik MD. Any consult you go to, should take at least an hour and a half. It should seem like a typical optometrist appointment with a few extra checks. If you're not comfortable with the staff, don't even consider going to the institution. This is a procedure where bedside manner is crucially important. You are awake during the procedure, your eyes are numb, but there is still room for panic if given a reason for one. you want to have staff by your side who will be calm, cool, have a relaxing nature, and most of all keep you in the loop with what is going on at all times. Everything from your point of view lying in that chair looks huge, and terrifying. These are your eyes, make sure you trust the person in charge of pointing a laser at them.

I had it done at LasikMD downtown in 2007 and it was the best thing I've ever done for myself. Recovery was very quick (a couple of days) and my vision is still fantastic. How well it works for you and your recovery time will be very specific to you, so I would do the consultation and see what they say.

Wish this was an option for astigmatism and that I also wasn't just a pansy when it comes to my eyes being touched... Nobody at work can even get eye drops in mine!

I had lasik done in 2001 for $3500 for both eyes. 20/20 vision. In 2006 I bought a pair of glasses. That is $350/eye/year. You could buy some really nice eye wear for this. Might want to consider that as part of your decision making process.

I went to TLC in mississauga about 3 years ago, whole thing was done by lasers. Lasikmd was way cheaper but at the time atleast wasnt offering the full laser treatment, they cut it with a "knife". About 10 minutes and 5 grand later better then 20/20 its 30/20 or 20/30 which ever one is better cant remember. Had to do it for firefighting but either way was by far the best thing i have done. So nice not dealing with contacts any more.

I had lasik done in 2001 for $3500 for both eyes. 20/20 vision. In 2006 I bought a pair of glasses. That is $350/eye/year. You could buy some really nice eye wear for this. Might want to consider that as part of your decision making process.

that's also age dependent no?. My old man is close to his 60's and only recently needed reading glasses some of the time. He's still happy with his surgery.

Wish this was an option for astigmatism and that I also wasn't just a pansy when it comes to my eyes being touched... Nobody at work can even get eye drops in mine!

There is an option! I have a crazy amount of astigmatism.. which is why I went to bochner eye institute. For our kind, there is a type of laser eye surgery called PRK. That's what I did. As for eyes being touched, they clamp your eyes open so don't worry about chickening out... at that point they already have your money... it's do or die.

Bochner eye institute and yonge eglinton laser centre were the only two places my optometrist recommended to me. He said all the other places send you to these guys when they screw up. Your eyes are worth every penny!

I had a slight astigmatism as well, and I was covered. I had been wearing glasses since the 6th grade, and god what a relief it was to get rid of them. Waking up in the morning after the surgery, and not having to grab my glasses was pretty much as close to a miracle as I've ever experienced through medical science. I paid $4k for both eyes, and it was money well spent. I also did the LASIK down on King street I believe it was. Trust me, if you ride a motorcycle and need glasses, eye surgery is a MUST have.

Wish I could get laser surgery done. I have keratoconus on both eyes. Need to wear hard contact lens and vision is still not perfect. Probably gonna have to do corneal transplant down the road.

I had Lasik done at TLC and I have astigmatism. Did it January of 2005 and I still have better then 20/20.

I want to get this done but am way to queezy about about. Any chance they can just knock me out and do whatever they want?

Back
Top Bottom