Expected turnaround time for Paint during peak summer period | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Expected turnaround time for Paint during peak summer period

That said, I guess I can't really do anything but wait until he's finished (as he is nearly done). I hope the work turns out great and the wait will be worth it. This has been a lesson for sure...a painful one at that.[/QUOTE]

And when he is done, and the work is to your satisfaction, you should ask for a price break due to the amount of time involved. You were paying insurance and not riding right? Let him know. The worst that could happen is you pay what you expected to pay, but learned a lesson on additional questions to ask prior to work being done.
Just my two cents.

Damn that's a long time to wait ! I've had 2 Ducs in my shop for 2 weeks now and I'm feeling bad about it taking so long.......... I know it's a busy time of year, but summer is short ........ I do hope it's worth the wait............ and thanks Inferno for the plug (again) ....... Cheers, Les

Thanks for chiming in, Les.

Question, do you normally give a tentative timeline to your clients?

I'm a former autobody guy/painter , 3 months is ridiculous unless its an extremely rare machine in an extremely expensive restoration shop like the guys on TV.
In a real regular shop its beyond unacceptable and not giving a base timeline is unprofessional. You can assume they don't actually want to do it or it would be done.
No production shop wants to be a storage site, if they cant schedule within 30 days your in the wrong shop.

No, definitely not a rare bike. I'm beginning to think that he thinks he's doing me a favour by doing this amount of work for the price he gave me (which was pretty good for the work done). I would've paid more to do it in a quicker time, or have gone elsewhere had I known I would be going through this (knowing what I know now).

I don't think taking the unfinished/unpainted parts and going elsewhere is even an option at this point. I'm pretty sure it's just paint now.

first off you can't force any discount. you'd have to take him to small claims court. legally

I have panels sent to a guy I know who's been doing painting professionally for 25 years. Right now is the stupid busy season from doing body work on marine equipment, etc, I told him no rush.. christmas/march time is cool with me as I don't need the panels/tank until next early summer.

Last edited:
Still can't promise me a timeline with just paint.

If everything is prepped, what is a reasonable timeline for JUST paint of tank and fairings? I might just take it to another shop.

first off you can't force any discount. you'd have to take him to small claims court. legally

True, but doesn't hurt to ask. Actually, with this timeline, it should be offered.

3 months is insane, but what are you having done to them? a custom paint job or just solid colours?

Damn that's a long time to wait ! I've had 2 Ducs in my shop for 2 weeks now and I'm feeling bad about it taking so long.......... I know it's a busy time of year, but summer is short ........ I do hope it's worth the wait............ and thanks Inferno for the plug (again) ....... Cheers, Les

( cheques in the mail, right?) lol ..

Thanks for chiming in, Les.

Question, do you normally give a tentative timeline to your clients?

No problem.... I always give an approximate time line .... occasionally a problem presents itself , but I stay in constant contact to explain things .... I wont take on a job if I know it's going to sit for a while before I can even start .... I'll even suggest another good paint shop if they can't wait ... cheers , Les

It's nothing fancy really. I requested two-tone paint colours (matted). Nothing elaborate.

You need this guy, and his DIY.. hilarious redneck paint series, for the "japanese" motorcycle tank (It's a Ducati tank). They actually end up with a nice job.

[video=youtube;AHwWCZXm3GY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHwWCZXm3GY[/video]

Worth watching all 4 vids, especially the safety advice from a guy who only wears sleeveless t-shirts and no gloves.

Back
Top Bottom