Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 232 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

I used to relocated them from the live trap into a large Home Depot tote full of water . No I do not feel bad about my decision. I never moved the same coon twice .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
I am contemplating marking any I catch with some paint so I know if I catch them again. Some citiot who moved out our way will probably complain about cruelty to animals. Taking them for a swim would be cleaner than the mess of blood I presently have on my crossbar, but they need to go into the trap for that.

I used a HiPot when I worked on the railway. I wanted one here years ago for something and the local electronics guys didn't know what it was. Just handed me their meter, and said put it on "tone".
I used mine to break down cable faults so I could see them with an IR camera. It was hard on the HiPot and a transformer from a bug zapper worked almost as well. I don't know what the bug zapper kicks out or the risks. There were two sizes and they were both lethal for bugs.

It's interesting to watch the bug zapping thinking of all the bugs that are being destroyed. Then you realize most of them wouldn't be in the area if it wasn't for the light attracting them. Then one wonders how many of the dead were beneficial and how many would never have bothered you anyway.

Do vegans shun bug zappers on moral grounds?

Camera didn't catch raccoon exit. IR camera says they aren't sleeping in their normal spot above my head (nor anywhere else obvious). I'll probably wait another day before going up. I don't want to cook babies but I don't want to get in a fight with momma either.

A steep roof looks nice but f that. My future houses will be walkable. So much easier for everything. I tried poking around with a long stick to find any loose soffit but some spots are inaccessible from the ground (and f you builder for installing wall mold with a couple staples per length).

I used mine to break down cable faults so I could see them with an IR camera. It was hard on the HiPot and a transformer from a bug zapper worked almost as well. I don't know what the bug zapper kicks out or the risks. There were two sizes and they were both lethal for bugs.

It's interesting to watch the bug zapping thinking of all the bugs that are being destroyed. Then you realize most of them wouldn't be in the area if it wasn't for the light attracting them. Then one wonders how many of the dead were beneficial and how many would never have bothered you anyway.

The bug vacuums they sell at costco tell you to install them in the area of where you sit but out of line of sight. Attracts bugs that could fly towards you but doesn't attract bugs to you. Seems to catch mostly moths although quite a few mozzies get caught too. I'm not sure if it is overall a positive or negative. Should be fewer mozzies, I haven't seen it catch a dragon fly so that's good. Caught a bunch of LDD last year.

To me, bug zappers with visible light make the most sense indoors. Quickly dispatch things that are on the wrong side of the environmental barrier.

The bug vacuums they sell at costco tell you to install them in the area of where you sit but out of line of sight. Attracts bugs that could fly towards you but doesn't attract bugs to you. Seems to catch mostly moths although quite a few mozzies get caught too. I'm not sure if it is overall a positive or negative. Should be fewer mozzies, I haven't seen it catch a dragon fly so that's good. Caught a bunch of LDD last year.

To me, bug zappers with visible light make the most sense indoors. Quickly dispatch things that are on the wrong side of the environmental barrier.
Yes, bug zappers are too discriminate for use outdoors. I set up some blue cups with tanglefoot on them for deer flies and they worked well, but I did catch at least one dragonfly as well.

We used the HiPot test the insulation in cables we had buried. One side to a wire and the other to each other wire in the cable as well as to ground. Found a few times where cables had been damaged while filling in the trench.

Two attic spaces inspected. No critters found.

Garage attic had one poop which has been removed and disinfected

Main attic has one lone poop and a single batt with 10-20. Those will get removed shortly. They found a path down into a bulkhead (bastard builders) so I can't see what's in the bulkhead without dropping the drywall which I'd rather not do. I can't reach where they breached the soffit so I will need to open a hole in the sheathing to get there (two intersecting roof lines, hole won't be through water barrier). That's safer than a repair from the outside as the location is bad. Some insulation moved on a cathedral ceiling so that will get fixed with a pole next trip. They pulled off a duct from a bathroom fan so that will get re-taped when I go up again.

They were using the soffit as catwalks. Obviously I can't inspect the entire soffit.

I do need to drop one section of soffit to access an otherwise inaccessible attic space.

Not ideal but it could have been much worse.

Bastard squirrels and mice came back into the shed. I found some openings where they’re probably coming in.

Happy to have put in a lot of plastic bins where’s there’s poo and pee on the covers…but nothing inside.

Guess I’m taking out everything again this year and covering up all the entry ports.

Bastard squirrels and mice came back into the shed. I found some openings where they’re probably coming in.

Happy to have put in a lot of plastic bins where’s there’s poo and pee on the covers…but nothing inside.

Guess I’m taking out everything again this year and covering up all the entry ports.
I like Mike's plan. Run the bike for 10 minutes a month in the shed.

Moth balls and Tomcat mouse bait took care of the skunks, raccoons, squirrels and mice under/in my shed. Ya, the smell when the doors first open is an eye opener but better than the smell of occupation.

Two attic spaces inspected. No critters found.

Garage attic had one poop which has been removed and disinfected

Main attic has one lone poop and a single batt with 10-20. Those will get removed shortly. They found a path down into a bulkhead (bastard builders) so I can't see what's in the bulkhead without dropping the drywall which I'd rather not do. I can't reach where they breached the soffit so I will need to open a hole in the sheathing to get there (two intersecting roof lines, hole won't be through water barrier). That's safer than a repair from the outside as the location is bad. Some insulation moved on a cathedral ceiling so that will get fixed with a pole next trip. They pulled off a duct from a bathroom fan so that will get re-taped when I go up again.

They were using the soffit as catwalks. Obviously I can't inspect the entire soffit.

I do need to drop one section of soffit to access an otherwise inaccessible attic space.

Not ideal but it could have been much worse.
I had fat bastard racoons using the soffits as catwalks, the were heavy enough to bend them beyond repair.

I had fat bastard racoons using the soffits as catwalks, the were heavy enough to bend them beyond repair.
I need to repair one garage soffit. The lazy ass builders used a couple staples into EIFS per stick of wall mold. Barely up to the task of holding up the soffit. No match for momma.

Let the lawnmower run for 20 min inside the shed with the door closed (the noise drives them out). Sprinkle paradichlotobenzene balls around every 4 mos (a few bucks on Amazon) and you're good.

Careful leaving moth balls around if you have small kids , not all realize it’s not a tub of mints .

Careful leaving moth balls around if you have small kids , not all realize it’s not a tub of mints .

Good luck finding naphthalene moth balls. Most are something useless now. Hell, you may as well leave out mints. Safe for the kids and just as effective on animals as the crap they often sell. Some are just wax with a drop of essential oils.

Good luck finding naphthalene moth balls. Most are something useless now. Hell, you may as well leave out mints. Safe for the kids and just as effective on animals as the crap they often sell. Some are just wax with a drop of essential oils.
Home Hardware and Amazone.

Does it self drain? But yeah I'd keep the pipe on the warm side of the insulation.

The rain head looks fun but I'd end up using the wall mount anyway.

My wife said the same thing, thought the big ceiling mounted rain head thing was just a fad.

Until the first time she used it. Now, she loves it.
It's my favourite thing about the new shower honestly. Well, that, and watching soap bubbles "disappear" into the tiny slot of the nearly invisible hidden tiled linear drain on the floor. For the bloody $600 it cost for that stupid feature, it better be cool LOL, but it did add a nice touch to the shower instead of the traditional cheap grill drain.

Anyhow, the bathroom is about 95% complete now. It's been a long path - the contractor we went with worked with me on a part-him part-me job - we had him do the shower conversion and all the tile work, as well as the new lighting and installation of a new fan. Then we bought everything else and I have been slowly working on finishing all the drywall, paint, and the toilet/vanity install and plumbing.

Full reno will end up at around just under $15K by the time it's all said and done, between what the contractor charged for his side of things, plus all the purchases for my side of the job. Sweat equity is free of course. But **** adds up fast, $600 drain here, $1000 bidet tankless toilet there, etc etc etc. But I'm still pretty happy with the final tab.

I'm pretty happy with how it's all coming together. Still a few finishing touches and furnishings left to put up (shelf above the toilet , window finishes, etc..and I think I'm going to do a tile in the gap between the sink and wall cabinet, the gap just doesn't look right), but I'm digging it.

Way better than the original builders special 1987 bathroom it replaced.
1659138140121.png

1659138222615.png
(Don't mind the painters tape on the ceiling, still working on the ceiling paint. And the rain shower head piping is still just temporary-like as well until the ceiling paint is done.

1659138437504.png
Yep, this drain option cost us an extra $600 LOL.
But, we liked it, and much like the front door story below..**** it, we gotta look at it for 15-20 more years before we sell, so do it.

Barely 2yr old 70” Samsung tv died yesterday.

I don't buy Samsung anything. If you want to read horror stories about the quality of some of their stuff, read up about their appliances.

It's to the point that a lot of reputable appliance dealers simply won't even sell them anymore.

Anyhow, on the TV front, We bought a LG 87" coming up on a year ago. Love the bejesus out of the thing every time I turn it on. The previous LG 54" Plasma we replaced was still working great, but I wanted 4K, so we upgraded.

I had to laugh when installing it however - I thought when I got rid of my old monstrosity 35" Tube TV long ago that the days of TV's that almost needed a forklift to move were behind us - all the new flatscreen stuff was so incredibly light. Well, from experience, I can tell you that when you get to the 80" class now, well, that no longer holds true LOL.
Shopping for a front entrance system , 54x100” , two side lights and arched transom window . So far a fiberglass door and nice glass , 1 st quote is $9100 bucks . Yikes .

Replaced our front door about 3 years ago. Smaller than yours, but we opted for one of the much more premium modern, well built, and very energy efficient ones. I think we ended up at about $7K by the time it was said and done. The door it replaced had no window and our front hall was like a dungeon. This made a massive difference in both appearance, and front hall natural light.

Yeah, we could have had something much cheaper installed, but like a lot of renos we're doing to the house, we figure it'll be another 15-20 years before we sell, so might as well spend the extra cash and install something we like instead of something that saved the budget but was just "meh".

1659137490714.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom