Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 24 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Does it go blue when it settles? How deep is it?

It goes greenish blue. Lots of sand in the area.

The original dig 20 years ago was to be 20 feet deep at the centre but he hit one of the spring outlets early on so it ended up being about 13 feet.

The sides have filled in over the years.

So this dig made the edges close to 10 feet (likely 13 feet still in the centre) but part of the redig was to change the inflow source water pathway so that I could increase the overall depth by another 3 feet.

As she fills up we will see how I did on the water flow redesign.

Its spring fed coming out of the hillside thru a pioneer placed well casing.

Thats a great looking piece of real estate, I dont envy whomever is putting in all those miles on a lawnmower.

My latest shitshow, I had a gas cooktop , 36" FisherPaykel that was acting up. Igniters were pooched, and it was getting pretty old. I call a major appliance dealer having looked at online ads the saleman tells me not all 36" cooktop have the same size cutout, I need his professional help to cross reference models, give him my model # and he suggests the unit I originally called about was ok, but not stellar. I should really entertain his promotional special. So my Mini Cooper became a full optioned Range rover.
I ask its a drop in fit, Yes sir drops right in. So i pull out old unit and toss it, new one is a full 1" longer than the old unit and its granite countertops.
I call, dude says I even converted to milimeters to make the math more accurate. Wow so you cant do math in Imperial or metric. Called granite guy, $500 to make the hole 1" bigger. I get that he needs to send a guy and a truck and all.
So I figure F it and go get my 4 1/2" angle grinder with a diamond wheel and 12 mins later the hole is bigger, I had the space in the cabinet.
The dust may take 3 days to settle, cutting granite inside the house is a bit of a mess to say the least. Oy vey.

;) Cheapest, strongest, easiest way to build heavy shelf supports and racks or even a rolling stand to hold something like a sea-doo, is 3-1/4"x4"x8' economy landscape timbers, half-lap the corner joints and bolt it all together with 3/8" threaded rod, nuts and washers. That's how we used to build crates for large animals that were likely to try and break out, lumber and threaded rod.
Or go to Kijiji and buy used ready rack for next to nothing. If you can cut steel (recip, cutoff wheel on a grinder) you can construct workbenches, tool stands and shelving. It's strong, highly configurable, and you can mount cheepie casters to make benches movable. I have 2 24"x12'spans at the back of my garage, a rolling workbench and rolling stand that holds my sandblaster and bench grinder.

If you have a cheap stick or mig, you can get really creative.

@madmikes suggestion , there was an industry change a couple years ago the left miles of ready rack no longer industial compliant. They had to add tabs so you couldn't accidently catch a lift truck fork on a beam and have it come out. Many places just brought in a welder and made beams permanent, but quite a few replaced which made used ready rack pretty reasonable.
It's got great span for a garage, wont sag or tip. Its heavy to put together but certainly worth looking at if you have a big shelf project.

I'm measuring out the deck today, hoping to start work on the weekend.

Not 100% sure yet, but trying to plan out some lighting for it....recommendations? Thoughts? Small deck 7x11ft so don't need lots.

I may just drill holes through the joists in order to be able to pull cable once we are ready.
Put cables into plastic conduit and hang it from the joists- mice and skunks have a taste for vinyl sheathing.

I have solar deck lights - no wires.

Thats a great looking piece of real estate, I dont envy whomever is putting in all those miles on a lawnmower.

My latest shitshow, I had a gas cooktop , 36" FisherPaykel that was acting up. Igniters were pooched, and it was getting pretty old. I call a major appliance dealer having looked at online ads the saleman tells me not all 36" cooktop have the same size cutout, I need his professional help to cross reference models, give him my model # and he suggests the unit I originally called about was ok, but not stellar. I should really entertain his promotional special. So my Mini Cooper became a full optioned Range rover.
I ask its a drop in fit, Yes sir drops right in. So i pull out old unit and toss it, new one is a full 1" longer than the old unit and its granite countertops.
I call, dude says I even converted to milimeters to make the math more accurate. Wow so you cant do math in Imperial or metric. Called granite guy, $500 to make the hole 1" bigger. I get that he needs to send a guy and a truck and all.
So I figure F it and go get my 4 1/2" angle grinder with a diamond wheel and 12 mins later the hole is bigger, I had the space in the cabinet.
The dust may take 3 days to settle, cutting granite inside the house is a bit of a mess to say the least. Oy vey.
I had to do something similar in my basement. I taped off a poly tent over & under my cutout, I used a jigsaw with a diamond blade to keep the dust down -- took forever but very little mess compared to a grinder.

Half my cousins/friends work with granite in the GTA. They've done all the work in all of our properties (parents, sister, friends, etc.) and it's typically a very quick job. Increasing the size or cutting a granite hole? One guy grinds / cuts...and the other stands beside him with a vacuum pointed where all the dust goes. Literally comes out as clean as before they started with minimal cleanup required.

But yes, $500 to extend the hole I would've told the guy to GTFO.

Put cables into plastic conduit and hang it from the joists- mice and skunks have a taste for vinyl sheathing.

And rabbits. Just before the last house closed some of the lights stopped working and a very ****** off looking rabbit ran away. Luckily, everything was installed with potential maintenance in mind so I just had to take the top off a step to access the chewed wire.

What kind of solar lights? Any recommendation? That's a thought as well but not sure if there are models you can turn on/off or just go on when the sun goes down.

Next project is repairing/restoring the apartment over my garage. For a second time coons got in and made house in the rafters.

I have trapped and relocated a dozen raccoons from my garage and tiki hut in the last 2 years. My cat used to chase them off, he's getting old and I guess he retired from chasing animals bigger than him. Might be time to pull out my old fur machine, anyone need a coon skin seat cover?

It could be, I live in a old 60's bungalo. When I first moved here there was a hidden 10' ft metal (or copper) pipe hidden in the back wall. It looked to be going out to a non existent septic tank. It was left in place with the ends cut off.
Time to rip out the copper stack and when prices go up, take that to scrap.
That should be a few bucks right there.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

What kind of solar lights? Any recommendation? That's a thought as well but not sure if there are models you can turn on/off or just go on when the sun goes down.
"just go on when the sun goes down." Isn't that all of them?

It ain't pretty, but it's functional, strong, and another check mark off the list...

View attachment 43097
If it isn't bolted down yet, I'd wrap some vapour barrier/ plastic around the "legs".
Moisture/ water if you hose it down *may* eventually damage it.

LoL yes, guess I worded that wrong. Would like something that I can turn on/off. Not always on automatically.

@Joe Bass I would've never even thought of that!
...and against the brick wall.

Planning on ripping down the metal swing set next week and building my kid a Ninja Warrior station.
Planning on using 4x4 with hammer in spike supports.
Thanks to earlier suggestions/ comments made in re to MPs build, will use nails for the joists across the top. Plus may add some lag bolts.
Will post a very rough sketch.
2x6 braces on the outside
2x4 joists across the top with a 2x6 laid flat on top.
That will have eye bolts thru it to hang the grab obstacles.
Any advice or suggestions?
f4b6d024b972e96b2ad8658ef9b0dd13.jpg

I look forward to seeing it built @Joe Bass. Looks like a fun gym for the kids, if they use it lol
My little guy will.
He currently has all the swings off our current set and uses it like monkey bars.
He's had a membership at the local ninja gym for a few years now.
Will post pics when done.

Planning on ripping down the metal swing set next week and building my kid a Ninja Warrior station.
Planning on using 4x4 with hammer in spike supports.
Thanks to earlier suggestions/ comments made in re to MPs build, will use nails for the joists across the top. Plus may add some lag bolts.
Will post a very rough sketch.
2x6 braces on the outside
2x4 joists across the top with a 2x6 laid flat on top.
That will have eye bolts thru it to hang the grab obstacles.
Any advice or suggestions?
f4b6d024b972e96b2ad8658ef9b0dd13.jpg

Where are the triangles Joe? If a kids runs, jumps and grabs (quite conceivable given the intended use) you will get a big horizontal force and a big lever. You don't want the whole thing to rack. For your 2x6 braces, use 2x6x16. It looks like you drew 2x6x8 with a joint at the centre post. A single piece will make the whole thing a lot stronger.

Post pics. Sounds like a fun thing for the kids and may need to copy it in a few years.

Back
Top Bottom