Emissions and the future of motorcycles | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Emissions and the future of motorcycles

I always laugh at the "I cannot buy an EV until" argument. What percentage of households have two cars? Of those what percentage have a car that NEVER gets driven more than 100km one way (maybe 50%?). A huge percentage of the market can switch to EV/plug in hybrid right now and reduce our carbon usage. YES some people need there only car to go 500km and then fill up in 5 minutes and drive another 500k....but if 15% of our vehicles switched it would be a good start.

As for charge times...when Solid State batteries and other tech improve things there will no longer be the charge time argument.

I still think the 30/300/30 rule would work for most. Sell me an EV for 30k that can do 300k on a charge that takes 30 minutes and you have my money. And not a subcompact.

Last edited:
I always laugh at the "I cannot buy an EV until" argument. What percentage of households have two cars? Of those what percentage have a car that NEVER gets driven more than 100km one way (maybe 50%?). A huge percentage of the market can switch to EV/plug in hybrid right now and reduce our carbon usage. YES some people need there only car to go 500km and then fill up in 5 minutes and drive another 500k....but if 15% of our vehicles switched it would be a good start.

As for charge times...when Solid State batteries and other tech improve things there will no longer be the charge time argument.

I still think the 30/300/30 rule would work for most. Sell me an EV for 30k that can do 300k on a charge that takes 30 minutes and you have my money. And not a subcompact.

So you cannot buy an EV until then?

Of course it's all about range and charging. That's the only downside to EV's. Who wouldn't want the instant torque and lower maintenance costs, regardless of whether you care about environmental benefits? But the charging stations had better be well designed and have sufficient capacity - have you ever waited in line at a Costco gas station that has 16 pumps, yet each lane has a 4-car lineup? Imagine what happens when a charge takes more than 15 minutes and people are encouraged to go into inside for a coffee to kill time?

Poor emissions killed the KLR650. The new Versys produces something like 1/6 the carbon.

Sell me an EV for 30k that can do 300k on a charge that takes 30 minutes and you have my money. And not a subcompact.

Pretty close with our Ioniq already, and it's a 2016:

- Paid 21K 1 year used.
- Have gone 250km on a charge in the summer.
- On a level 3 capable of pushing it to it's 70kw limit, 10% to 80% is about 20 minutes.

Poor emissions killed the KLR650. The new Versys produces something like 1/6 the carbon.

IIRC carbureted engine to the very end. The North American emission standards haven't been updated for many years, so it could possibly be compliant here, but practically nowhere else in the developed world.

CBR 600 RR gone
R6 Gone
GSXR 600 Gone
GSXR 750 Gone
All high revving SS will be gone soon... We'll be stuck with cheap looking electric bikes with "fat" tires!

strike_banner.jpg

. The LS-218 is the fastest production motorcycle in the world – gas or electric

looks okay to me..

strike_banner.jpg

. The LS-218 is the fastest production motorcycle in the world – gas or electric

looks okay to me..
It has a very nice looking gas tank.
... what does that hold? :unsure: air?

Your knees. Not everybody stands to ride.
On my trials bikes I ride on my pegs and bars, on my street bikes I ride on my pegs and bars :unsure: never tried riding the fuel tank, I must be doing it wrong.

It has a very nice looking gas tank.
... what does that hold? :unsure: air?

Probably ... Charging equipment, motor drive power supply and electronics, etc. That area is a pretty good place to put the charging plug. In an electric vehicle, there's no shortage of things that need to have a place found for them.

Ok you convinced me, want one,
but I have reservations, starting with the LS-218 price and current availability.

I'm looking forward to riding electric motorcycles, I think they are going to be a blast.
Electric could also make 2 wheel drive practical some day :cool:
Super icy out today, great for riding, terrible for putting a foot down, 2 wheel drive would kick a**.

Ok you convinced me, want one,
but I have reservations, starting with the LS-218 price and current availability.

I'm looking forward to riding electric motorcycles, I think they are going to be a blast.
Electric could also make 2 wheel drive practical some day :cool:
Super icy out today, great for riding, terrible for putting a foot down, 2 wheel drive would kick a**.
Get a Zero then;

$10k

2018-zero-fx-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom