Elka 3 way adjustable shock | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Elka 3 way adjustable shock

I'd assume the forks on my 03 gix 1k are "KYB"?

Yes, KYB = Kayaba.

And yes, spring rates at both ends need to be about right for you.... stock spring rates for the '03 GSXR are targetted at 190-200lbs IIRC.

Yes, KYB = Kayaba.

And yes, spring rates at both ends need to be about right for you.... stock spring rates for the '03 GSXR are targetted at 190-200lbs IIRC.

Kayaba sound awfully much like Alibaba...

I'm 200lb, but great plans to drop 20-30 lb in the foreseeable future! Contacted John Sharrard, replied immediately and will send me a quote soon. I'll definitely end up using his services based on all the comments here, only question is when...now or in couple of months.

It's not a question when I want to do it, but when I'll piss off my wife less.

Ask yourself.... When it comes down to it what's more important lol.
Get the suspension done.
Hey tell her you suspension is unsafe and this is a needed safety upgrade ;)

Ask yourself.... When it comes down to it what's more important lol.
Get the suspension done.
Hey tell her you suspension is unsafe and this is a needed safety upgrade ;)

oh nooo, believe me, I don't want to use the "this is unsafe" argument, especially after using every single opportunity to make her believe bikes are so safe she shouldn't worry and nag all the time how i'm gonna die and stuff..

It may have more to do with when John is available, I know he gets busy in the spring.

Kayaba sound awfully much like Alibaba...

I'm 200lb, but great plans to drop 20-30 lb in the foreseeable future! Contacted John Sharrard, replied immediately and will send me a quote soon. I'll definitely end up using his services based on all the comments here, only question is when...now or in couple of months.

Send it now and let them know the time frame you would like it back since you don't need it back immediately.

You aren't getting new parts, per say... just fixing the old ones :p

But John (and Ron) are very quick at responding to questions and giving explanations/advice when you need it, even when you don't ask for it (or in my case, knew to ask for it). Just give them an e-mail and they can give you an estimate on what can be done and what changes to expect on the bike!

Last edited:
hey thanks for the feedback mr.azim. I read some of your posts on the other forums regarding the elka rear shock. I heard the compression isnt that good on these shocks, any feedback?

hey thanks for the feedback mr.azim. I read some of your posts on the other forums regarding the elka rear shock. I heard the compression isnt that good on these shocks, any feedback?

Like any other suspension manufacturer, there are revisions, updates and upgrades. I have an older generation shock which I sent in for basic servicing. John took it apart and upgraded the seals and compression cartridge to the current specs as well as the shaft and rebound jets.

If you buy a current gen Elka, I wouldn't have doubts about it. If you buy a used shock, I would recommend sending it for service because you won't know what's inside it until you open it up.

Back
Top Bottom