Elka 3 way adjustable shock | GTAMotorcycle.com

Elka 3 way adjustable shock

Some people love them, some people like them, some people don't like them at all.

I just had mine refreshed and serviced with a new spring and seals and everything, but I have only had a day or two use on it so no real opinion on it yet.

But John Sherrard was great in asking all my questions about possible changes/upgrades and what to expect, so I also sent him my forks for a full upgrade.

Last edited:
I put one on my dl1000 at the end of last year. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but I'm expecting good things.

Even better once I finish getting the SV1000 motor, AK-20 fork cartridges and the steering damper on there.

Spring is going to be awesome.

I don't think they're quite up to TTX standards, but Jodi Christie has done OK on them... mind you, he has Sherrard right in the pits working with him. That said, the TTX shock requires a rebuild multiple times a season if you're going to race on it.

Off topic, but how can I find this John Sherrard guy? I hear only good stuff, thinking to send my forks there if the price is right.

I got a smoking deal on my stage 4 directly from Elka.
Didn't have a chance to try it out yet, though.

I'm a bit confused by the prices on the website.... If I wanted something minimal, like just change the springs in the forks, what would they charge me? What's the difference between him doing it versus me doing it myself? Sorry, my questions are probably giving away how inexperienced I am, but I did change the springs myself on my previous bike, so I just wonder why would it be so much better to have that done by him? Sorry, just trying to understand.

From what he's told me, even just a spring change/service will get a full disassemble and clean out of your forks. He'll ask you where you ride, what your pace is and set the forks and make recommendations to you accordingly. It isn't a simple out-and-in job.

He can also do some custom internal work for you without the need to buy things like piston/compression kits, depending on your forks. But contact the shop and tell them what you're looking for, who much you're willing to spend and see what they say.

The basic fork service on the website is pretty clear with what is included, and it's cheaper than any rate I got from local shops.

Last edited:
John will rebuild your brake calipers cheaper than any shop I know of, as well. Cheap enough that it's not worth my time to do by hand (while cursing harsh reality).

John is a pro! He did my BMW F800ST forks a couple of years ago, I wanted to change springs and install emulators. Bike only had about 8,000 Km but John discovered some worn parts inside. John overhauled the forks, replaced the worn parts, modified and installed the emulators with springs selected for my weight and reduced the friction in the forks.
Went back the next summer and had him replace the rear shock with an Elka...bike was transformed!

I find him great and his prices more than fair.

I've got a question---does it make sense to do the front end only for now, or it will suck big time having a rebuilt and nice forks but still running on stock rear suspension on 03 gsxr 1k?

It absolutely makes sense to valve the KYB forks. I ran a stock shock on my 2005 GSX-R and Joey McRae won an AM 1000 championship on it that way.

I'm a bit confused by the prices on the website.... If I wanted something minimal, like just change the springs in the forks, what would they charge me? What's the difference between him doing it versus me doing it myself? Sorry, my questions are probably giving away how inexperienced I am, but I did change the springs myself on my previous bike, so I just wonder why would it be so much better to have that done by him? Sorry, just trying to understand.

What was the previous bike ... Inverted cartridge forks are a whole different ball game from conventional damper-rod forks, on the easy to difficult scale. You can't do much on inverted forks without pulling them all apart, and doing that requires special tools.

What was the previous bike ... Inverted cartridge forks are a whole different ball game from conventional damper-rod forks, on the easy to difficult scale. You can't do much on inverted forks without pulling them all apart, and doing that requires special tools.

Ok, got it. You're right, the previous bike was an 05 FZ6 with regular forks. Opening those up and doing it myself was easy as pie (though I remember I had to get creative with some household items to make a tool..).

I'll contact John Sherrard to see what they can do for me.

I've got a question---does it make sense to do the front end only for now, or it will suck big time having a rebuilt and nice forks but still running on stock rear suspension on 03 gsxr 1k?

As long as the spring rates are relatively close...... otherwise you'll run into some settings issues when trying to balance the bike out.

Super traveling performing front and sticky hard rear aren't friends.

Back
Top Bottom