Electrician In Mississauga | GTAMotorcycle.com

Electrician In Mississauga

ReSTored

I'm in the Winston Churchill / Burhamthorpe Rd. W area and need a licensed electrician to run a couple of 15A circuits to my garage.

Can anyone provide the name + contact info of an electrician who has done good quality and cost effective work at your home. Thanks.

There are indications of a softening of the residential market and hopefully a return to sane pricing.

How long will it take for the opportunists to tone down their expectations?

I had a pleasant chat with a stone mason north of Guelph as he was working. Very knowledgeable and good workmanship. He priced jobs fairly. He didn't need to upgrade a family BMW after every job. Nice if you can find an electrician like him.

My go to ones are in Barrie and Ajax, both very busy.

Are you up to DIY?

Can't help you with an electrician, I've always done it myself, BUT I'm gonna suggest instead of paying someone to pull two 15A circuits, you install a 60 or 100 A pony board.
The only difference in cost is the wire and the board and you'll get a TON more use (there may be an electric car in your near future... ) and if you work in the garage, you don't have to run to the basement when you pop a breaker.

or just pull a 8 gauge feed to a 30A board: for easy future upgrade to a bigger board.

I PMd you.

Buddy is a master electrician. He doesn’t sell you on work. Tell him what you want done and what options there are to do it.

Are you up to DIY?

I do DIY on just about everything, including a bit of minor electrical like installing light fixtures, replacing receptacles, switches, hooking up a dishwasher etc...... But I'm not comfortable opening up the panel to install new circuit breakers.

Can't help you with an electrician, I've always done it myself, BUT I'm gonna suggest instead of paying someone to pull two 15A circuits, you install a 60 or 100 A pony board.
The only difference in cost is the wire and the board and you'll get a TON more use (there may be an electric car in your near future... ) and if you work in the garage, you don't have to run to the basement when you pop a breaker.

or just pull a 8 gauge feed to a 30A board: for easy future upgrade to a bigger board.

I'll ask about options, My short term plan was to do two 15A circuits because the whole garage right now is hooked up to one 15A run. Both receptacles, the sole light and the garage door opener all run off the same circuit. Long term I'm planning a 240V heater, more plugs, lights etc.... as well as tearing off drywall to properly insulate the space. Plan is to rewire the whole garage at that time. Work planned now is a band aid as the circuit breaker is tripping too often.

I PMd you. Buddy is a master electrician. He doesn’t sell you on work. Tell him what you want done and what options there are to do it.

Got the PM, thanks. I'll fill him in on the short term need and the long term plan and see what he says.

I do DIY on just about everything, including a bit of minor electrical like installing light fixtures, replacing receptacles, switches, hooking up a dishwasher etc...... But I'm not comfortable opening up the panel to install new circuit breakers.

I'll ask about options, My short term plan was to do two 15A circuits because the whole garage right now is hooked up to one 15A run. Both receptacles, the sole light and the garage door opener all run off the same circuit. Long term I'm planning a 240V heater, more plugs, lights etc.... as well as tearing off drywall to properly insulate the space. Plan is to rewire the whole garage at that time. Work planned now is a band aid as the circuit breaker is tripping too often.

Got the PM, thanks. I'll fill him in on the short term need and the long term plan and see what he says.
I would run a big wire to a subpanel. When you rewire the garage, just grab from the subpanel.

A friend wanted two exterior outlets on the back of their house. Price for two outlets was $1400. Price for 50A subpanel with two outlets was $2800. Obviously the parts cost more for the subpanel but labour wasnt much more. If they add a hot tub or want more power in their backyard it is now cheap.

Had a receptacle changed , it was a 20amp split , 3 wires in the box , needed 220v and the wire was there , pulling off the appropriate legs in the panel for 220v for a commercial coffee maker . Bill was $370 for the receptacle install , wires were there . And we like the guy and probably got a deal .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Had a receptacle changed , it was a 20amp split , 3 wires in the box , needed 220v and the wire was there , pulling off the appropriate legs in the panel for 220v for a commercial coffee maker . Bill was $370 for the receptacle install , wires were there . And we like the guy and probably got a deal .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
Do you need to change anything in the panel? To meet code, the handles had to be tied already. Wire a 220 receptacle to the two hots, take the tail off the neutral in the box and you should be done.

OK, sounds good. Can you post a name / contact info or PM me with same? Thanks.

I always put 20 amp receptacles in garages. Same amount of work, breaker and receptacles cost the same.The only difference is the slightly higher cost of 12 guage wire as opposed to 14 guage but well worth it.

I always put 20 amp receptacles in garages. Same amount of work, breaker and receptacles cost the same.The only difference is the slightly higher cost of 12 guage wire as opposed to 14 guage but well worth it.
Receptacle costs a little more. Cec requires 20 amp receptacles on 20 amp breakers. NEC allows 15 amp receptacles if there is more than one receptacle in the circuit. I like NEC as they are rated for 20 pass through but only 15 out of any one receptacle but sadly we don't get that choice here.

Your biggest expense is going to be labour
... so if you're into DIY: run the wire through the house yourself, so the electrician only has to terminate the circuit.

That's his polite way of saying, "I don't want this job"

If customer agrees, he is laughing all the way to the bank...
Exactly. ‘If you are dumb enough to pay me this amount…I will gladly take your money’.

Got a second quote for the new garage heater. $3250. That phone call saved me about $1400. Goes in this week.
Can't wait to get the garage back up to a blistering 50F.

Exactly. ‘If you are dumb enough to pay me this amount…I will gladly take your money’.

I'd really rather the guy just said , I dont want the job. But I get the I dont want it, but for 3x market rate I'll suffer through it part.

I got that last week , needed 400pcs of wood cut into 28x30" squares , one quote $35 per ea ( I'm suppling the wood) , next quote $4.30 ea. The Extra 36 pcs with a 20" hole cut in the middle , yeah he wanted $65.00 to cut a hole. Well , I guess it a big hole , and it has to be round....

The Extra 36 pcs with a 20" hole cut in the middle , yeah he wanted $65.00 to cut a hole.

What kind of wood and how thick? $65/hole sounds steep³. I have a friend that runs a CNC router at a cabinet/door shop. I can get a quote on the holes from her.

Back
Top Bottom