Electrical Work Guide? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Electrical Work Guide?

Where did you connect the compressor? There is no 3a fuses in a Vstrom, was the fuse on the compressor?

if so? You can probably go to 10amps if the cord is 16guage or better and under 5m.

Tip: always run the engine while using your compressor. It will limit the voltage drop and therefor the current draw should stay below 3a. Not usually a problem on a car battery, but bike batteries are small.

Canadian Tire, Princess Auto or any auto parts store will have fuses.

Last edited:
Honestly, right now...Amazon is probably your best bet.

I'm not familiar with the Vstrom but check the fuse panel or in it's vicinity - a lot of motorcycles include spare fuses in there, sometimes in spots where they look to be in use but are marked as spares...example below, look at the bottom 2 fuses.

These can be flipped into use until you get the replacements.

If you're in no rush and can wait until after the lockdown, Canadian Tire or Princess Auto as mentioned - off the shelf items at both places. Or any auto-parts store for that matter, many of which I think are still open as essential. NAPA, the sort.

1620608635724.png

The 12V Socket that comes stock on on the V Strom 650 (2017+) is rated at 3A. I removed the blown fuse. I was a 3A.
If you're near Barrie, let me know what physical size you need and I can look through the stash. If I have 3A in a kit, I doubt I will need many in my lifetime.

The 12V Socket that comes stock on on the V Strom 650 (2017+) is rated at 3A. I removed the blown fuse. I was a 3A.

I’ve got some if you have any trouble sourcing them.

I’m in Oakville.

9d1bf78856a1c4061f6f700f8232b9ab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're near Barrie, let me know what physical size you need and I can look through the stash. If I have 3A in a kit, I doubt I will need many in my lifetime.
I’ve got some if you have any trouble sourcing them.

I’m in Oakville.

9d1bf78856a1c4061f6f700f8232b9ab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome! Thank you gentlemen. I will reach out via PM.

@PrivatePilot , sad that there are no extras in the box.

IMG-20210509-WA0007.jpg

Is there anything in the one with the cross through it?

Is there anything in the one with the cross through it?

No, that is a vacant area.

Another dilemma - I looked up the wiring of the SAE connector that comes standard with the 2019 VStrom. Surprisingly, that too, has a - a 3 Amp fuse protecting it!

The mini compressor I have is this one. Rated for max amperage of 15. Fits under the seat.

Screenshot 2021-05-16 at 17.20.58.png
I was going to connect this through a female adaptor to SAE, but I am sure, that will blow the fuse - like it did for the accessory socket.

Can I run this directly from the battery using a female adaptor to alligator clips? The pump has a fuse within the adaptor as well. Not sure if DC from the battery will blow the fuse.

Alligator clips straight on the battery is perfect, bypasses all the bikes wiring in it's entirety.

Might want to have the bike running if you're going to use it for more than a few minutes though - bike batteries can deplete pretty fast.

when it comes to a multimeter regardless of brand ones that emit sound to confirm continuity are handy. mine doesn't have that and I have to ohm side as my continuity check

You could rewire the dash socket to deliver 15a. Change the wire running from the fuse panel to the socket to 16guage, same for the ground from the socket. Then you could change the fuse in the panel to 15 amp.

Not sure why the accessory socket on your V is only provisioned for 3a, about all that’s good for is a phone charger.

Not sure why the accessory socket on your V is only provisioned for 3a, about all that’s good for is a phone charger.

I think even some USB-PD or Qc3.0 fast chargers might even blow that while charging a cellphone.

I was going to connect this through a female adaptor to SAE, but I am sure, that will blow the fuse - like it did for the accessory socket.

Can I run this directly from the battery using a female adaptor to alligator clips? The pump has a fuse within the adaptor as well. Not sure if DC from the battery will blow the fuse.

Don't you have a Battery Tender pigtail already installed? That's the simplest solution.

There is an SAE cord factory-installed and exposed. However, it is protected from a 3a fuse in the circuit to the battery. And that is likely due to the flimsy wiring circuit.
So, install a BT pigtail for all of five bucks and be done with it. I use mine for battery charging, compressor, and heated vest.

Back
Top Bottom