Electric Lawn Mower? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Electric Lawn Mower?

48Connor

With moving into a new house with a yard that I actually have to take care of, I'll need a lawn mower. I want electric mainly because of the noise but also the ease of use. My new yard is small - I'd estimate it at 1500sq-ft, so perfect for an electric mower. Likely down the road I'd buy a string trimmer and a leaf blower of the same electric ecosystem.

I already have all Milwaukee M18 tools, so I was really leaning towards the Milwaukee, but its not cheap ($1500), also when I was at Home Depot yesterday, I was not overly impressed with the ergonomics of the handle.

They had a few Dewalts there that were significantly cheaper ($700 for push, $850 for self propelled) and the ergonomics was really nice, but I see a bunch of negative reviews around the 10ah batteries that they come with. Apparently there is a more expensive Dewalt FlexVolt version for $1200, but it wasn't in store so I didn't get to see it.

I looked at Ryobi, Mikiata, and Toro but wasn't overly impressed by the quality VS price.

I hear EGO is good but haven't had hands on it yet. I'm a little weary of brands that don't make a lot of tools, like EGO. I'm already invested in Milwaukee, but at least Dewalt I could use the batteries for something else.

Any one have any experience with electric mowers and can provide some insight?

With moving into a new house with a yard that I actually have to take care of, I'll need a lawn mower. I want electric mainly because of the noise but also the ease of use. My new yard is small - I'd estimate it at 1500sq-ft, so perfect for an electric mower. Likely down the road I'd buy a string trimmer and a leaf blower of the same electric ecosystem.

I already have all Milwaukee M18 tools, so I was really leaning towards the Milwaukee, but its not cheap ($1500), also when I was at Home Depot yesterday, I was not overly impressed with the ergonomics of the handle.

They had a few Dewalts there that were significantly cheaper ($700 for push, $850 for self propelled) and the ergonomics was really nice, but I see a bunch of negative reviews around the 10ah batteries that they come with. Apparently there is a more expensive Dewalt FlexVolt version for $1200, but it wasn't in store so I didn't get to see it.

I looked at Ryobi, Mikiata, and Toro but wasn't overly impressed by the quality VS price.

I hear EGO is good but haven't had hands on it yet. I'm a little weary of brands that don't make a lot of tools, like EGO. I'm already invested in Milwaukee, but at least Dewalt I could use the batteries for something else.

Any one have any experience with electric mowers and can provide some insight?
I have heard nothing but good stuff about the EGO units.

I wanted the Milwaukee as well as I have a bunch of M18 tools. Even have the blower and string trimmer. But the price of the lawn mower was a quick NO.

I made the switch to battery powered mower last year. Was fed up with trying to start an older gas mower. Constantly forgetting to get gas , weight of mower etc. I was reluctant on getting a battery pwered mower. Did some research. Ended up getting the Greenworks Pro 60v. It was on sale at CanadianTire last year. So far its been great. It mulches, bags et. Battery last a long time on one charge. I am able to mow both front an backyard on only half battery level. Approx area 2,000 sqare feet.
Only neagative is that its smaller so more passes requied. But its really light and am able to finish quicker.
Also has a good blade. Cuts grass well.
I would advise that whatever brand you look at. I would only look at 60v or higher. Especially if the grass is thick or tall. You will need the power to cut through.

Last edited:
I've been using the same corded electric mower for over 15 years now. They're a fraction of the price of the cordless ones you're looking at, and there's nearly zero that can go wrong with them. I don't find the cord to be inconvenient, but you're welcome to come over and mow my lawn if you want to see if the cord would bother you or not. 😁

I also have a corded string trimmer and it's considerably less convenient when compared to a cordless, so I probably wouldn't recommend it. But if you get a corded mower you'll have lots of cash left over for a cordless trimmer.

I would only look at 60v or higher.
As a rule, the higher the voltage, the higher the efficiency of the motor. Corded/plug in is best, but you have to lug around the cord.
A reel mower is best for the grass (it shears the grass, not bludgeon it. Less damage to the grass) but is not nearly as efficient.
If the lawn is sunny, over seed it with Kentucky bluegrass, it looks REAL nice and plush BUT grows slower... so you don't have to cut it as often

Staying within a battery ecosystem is always a good idea where possible.
For your sized yard through it should not matter.
I'd say look for sales on brands you like and start there.
When I had a small yard a bought a cheap cordless mower and it lasted for years then I gave it to @GreyGhost unsure if it is still in use now..

I have a corded mower that is about 20 years old (pre-dating availability of good battery-powered mowers). It has been forgotten about in the back yard over an entire winter and has never failed to work! The cord is a minor nuisance, but not really a big problem.

I think EGO definitely have a name in electric yard tools. Greenworx have a similar name I think. These two generally pop up as recommended models for most people. I’m waiting for one of the Costco sales on a metal deck model as they generally come with multiple batteries and some other extras.

We've had a Ryobi 16" cordless 40 volt for several years and no problems. We have about double the area and one charge does it with enough leg over to string trim. We added the 40 volt blower as well.

Think about the mower width. If you have a small lawn a smaller mower only requires an extra pass or two to do the job. It saves money and storage space.

Ryobi 40V mower here, and matching snowblower this winter. I love the heck out of both of them - will never look back to gas ever again. Everytime I push the button on either, they just go.

I bought the Ryobi 40V one 3 years ago. works great, does both front and back yard on 1/2 a charge. Very happy that it takes very little storage space not like my old gas beast. I think they're around $500-$550 for the 20" model.

I bought an Ego self-propelled three years ago. Best mower by far I've ever had. The self propell unit has about 7-8 speed settings. Lots of power in the fully charged battery. I can do both back & front on one charge and that would be about 5,000 sq. ft. Comes with a charger of course. The thing folds up almost flat for easy winter storage. I would highly recommend it although you can save some $$ by not including the self propel feature The mower is very light weight.

Ego.jpg

Gives agreat cut as well!
!st Cut Back1.jpg

I have a LeeValley mechanical mower, when set up correctly (145 X 45 lot) they are not hard to use (it is a little more effort/exercise than an electric mower). The way they cut is friendlier to the lawn. BUT they don't mulch leaves at the end of the season and if the grass gets too long they don't work. So I also have an electric...

A neighbour left me their old corded Black and Decker when they moved out. The deck was rotted out, I made patches and welded it all up. It was worth the effort as it has features you can't have anymore like a flip handle.

Fixed.jpg

Corded mowers are not a big hassle if you have well placed outdoor outlets. Just start near the outlet and mow outwards, the cord stays on the cut grass. The flip handle is a HUGE plus.

I've been using the same corded electric mower for over 15 years now. They're a fraction of the price of the cordless ones you're looking at, and there's nearly zero that can go wrong with them. I don't find the cord to be inconvenient, but you're welcome to come over and mow my lawn if you want to see if the cord would bother you or not. 😁
EU2000 strapped to the top of your mower would be cheaper than some of the battery options and you have a generator for track days.

Staying within a battery ecosystem is always a good idea where possible.
For your sized yard through it should not matter.
I'd say look for sales on brands you like and start there.
When I had a small yard a bought a cheap cordless mower and it lasted for years then I gave it to @GreyGhost unsure if it is still in use now..
Finito. Inlaws had it for cottage. Battery life became abysmal. Replacement batteries cost way too much. It convinced them that battery was the way to go though and they bought another battery powered mower (maybe ryobi?).

I use a reel mower. I love it.
Manual reel mower is great if you stay on top of things. If you neglect the lawn for a few weeks and it grows a lot, recovering it with a manual reel mower is more akin to a workout than a stroll. Powered reel mowers seem interesting but they are normally priced well north of every other option.

Finito. Inlaws had it for cottage. Battery life became abysmal. Replacement batteries cost way too much. It convinced them that battery was the way to go though and they bought another battery powered mower (maybe ryobi?).
Well it had a good life, far longer than I would have guessed.

Manual reel mower is great if you stay on top of things. If you neglect the lawn for a few weeks and it grows a lot, recovering it with a manual reel mower is more akin to a workout than a stroll. Powered reel mowers seem interesting but they are normally priced well north of every other option.
I'm an early bird in the summer. I wake up early, go for a walk around town, come home and cut the lawn before 7am. The neighbors aren't disturbed and the lawn looks passable

Back
Top Bottom