Ear plugs | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ear plugs

I use earbuds connected to my old iphone for music. I'm not picky on brands as long as they have the inline volume control so I can turn the music down/up.

Happy with both the Bluetooth and the wired Shure 215s - needs the correct size foam tip for sound and seal.

Earplugs - go to Howard Leight
HowardLeight MAX1 Earplugs Uncorded BOX 200

You don't have to put them in all the way and they are very soft. -33 dB - wonderful silence.

Happy with both the Bluetooth and the wired Shure 215s - needs the correct size foam tip for sound and seal.

Earplugs - go to Howard Leight
HowardLeight MAX1 Earplugs Uncorded BOX 200

You don't have to put them in all the way and they are very soft. -33 dB - wonderful silence.
The common theme seems to be soft foamies if you are going disposable. I know very few people that can comfortably wear the hard yellow cylinders for a long time.

I think i have small ear canals too. I've tried on a few different ones over the years and found that the 3M E-A-Rsoft yellow neons are the most comfortable. I occasionally use them for sleeping as well. The silicone flanged plugs hurt my ears after a few hours. The Home Depot plugs are too fat to shove in my ears comfortably. I've done 20hrs (IBA ride) with the 3M plugs before with zero discomfort.

As with some above, love my Howard Leight foam ear plugs.

I use the "Howard Leight LPF-1 Max Lite Uncorded" ones from Amazon - made specifically for smaller ear canals.
Comfortable enough to wear them all night to sleep back when I had roommates.

I use my Howard Leight for sleeping and I re-use them. We live beside a busy street in Australia and I get a deep sleep with the plugs in. Needed when trying to sleep in a motel beside a busy road as well. Tho usually after a long day I'm out of it right quick.

I used to use the orange foamies. Worked awesome. Still use them for sleeping if I'm somewhere noisy.

Switched up my headset game last year and bought a set of Shure SE215's after they were discussed here. Great decision - headphones and earplugs in one. I just recently changed from the rubber tips to the foam tips and quickly realized I should have done so long ago.

SHURE SE215 and others didn't feel like they offered the same level of protection... I want something stuck deep in my ear
You have to get the correct foam tips for your ears. The BT215s came with the small foam tips and I was too lazy to change them until today. Put on the proper size and big difference - much quieter and better seal for sound quality. Westone makes nice tips. Last longer than some other foam tips. You get -26 dB on the Shures compared to -33 on the Howard Leight but you are listening to media on the Shures so really doesn't matter.
The Shures are totally modular as well.

Another vote for the Howard Leight foamies. I've tried several other reusable types like earpeace etc, always end up going back due to inadequate noise level and comfort.

Catch them on Amazon sale and they're around $30 for 200 pairs. Best protection/price ratio I've found so far.

You have to get the correct foam tips for your ears. The BT215s came with the small foam tips and I was too lazy to change them until today. Put on the proper size and big difference - much quieter and better seal for sound quality. Westone makes nice tips. Last longer than some other foam tips. You get -26 dB on the Shures compared to -33 on the Howard Leight but you are listening to media on the Shures so really doesn't matter.
The Shures are totally modular as well.

Nope, still sticking with these because the ER3 is providing me with 35 dB - 42 dB noise isolation according to the manufacturer (Etymotic Powered by Lucid NEW ER3 Earphones)

Nope, still sticking with these because the ER3 is providing me with 35 dB - 42 dB noise isolation according to the manufacturer (Etymotic Powered by Lucid NEW ER3 Earphones)
There's no way. That's marketing wank, they probably looked at the loss at high frequency and ran with that. NRR has it's issues but at least it's a standard that can be compared. Ety talks about NRR in their technical pages and then pulls random numbers out of their ass on the product page that are not NRR.

They are probably similar to the Ety HD3/HD5 which actually have information available. If you're running triple flange (xmas tree) you are close to 22 dB NRR and foamies will be ~27 dB NRR.

You guys use ear plugs for city riding?

I prefer to not wear plugs in the city as i prefer to hear everything.

In the suburbs or rural roads? Then yes but depending on how long i plan to ride for.

I use any foam plugs. Would like to try different types though

Search this forum and you will find this topic covered already. Almost as much as the oil thread.

Ear plug recommendations?

This is my recommendation.

I was going to post this but didn't get to it earlier.

I had a set of custom ear plugs made for me by Peter from BigEar.

They are made on the spot for you but take about an hour from start to finish.

I never rode with earplugs before but I tried the foamies for the first time this season.
I loved riding with earplugs but hated the foamies.
I just didn't like how inconsistent the fit would be. Sometimes they would seal properly and sometimes they would get loose while putting on the helmet.

I saw the BigEar booth at the motorcycle show and talked to the guys. One of them recommended the motorcycle model with the different filters in them but they would close to $300 so I didn't want to spend that.
After speaking with Peter, the local contact for them (Newmarket), I was convinced that the basic ones is all I need.
They cost me $80 and are good for 5 years or so.

I rode with them a few times and love them. The fit just right and filter out even more than the foamies. Takes me 3 seconds to put one in. I hated waiting for the foamies to expend in your ear for a good fit.
There are many different colors you can choose from but I chose bright yellow in case I drop it somewhere.

PM me, I can pass on the direct contact for the local guy that makes them.

View attachment 43452

Back
Top Bottom