E bikes rampaging Toronto streets | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

E bikes rampaging Toronto streets

How hypocritical. As a group riders tend to be the first to ***** about it when the government tries to implement new laws governing our speed or behaviour. Yet because so many of you seem to have a hard on for ebikes, it is now magically perfectly acceptable for the government to do the very things you all ***** about. So many also complain about , (targeted), enforcement, (for say sport bikes), yet you insist upon a crack down because they are a group you despise!!!

One rider, complains about the ebikes using the "bike lanes", yet feels justified in using them on his bike "as long as no cyclist are around".... Talk about hypocritical.

Then many go on and on about how the owners are all, either convicted, Impaired drivers, (we don't have DUI in Canada), or scofflaws, who shouldn't be on the road, yet ***** when the general public generalizes "All sport bike riders" What is good for one is just as good for the other.

As one person so wisely pointed out once the ebikes hit a "critical mass", (just as happened with say pirated satellite signals), the government WILL step in and enact some form of legislation. Given Doug's insistence on smaller gov't, I doubt he will be rushing to implement new rules and restrictive rules.

thank you for that !

...once the ebikes hit a "critical mass", (just as happened with say pirated satellite signals), the government WILL step in and enact some form of legislation.

Out of curiosity what was this legislation that was introduced for satellite piracy, and did it actually help anything? I thought it was the satellite tv providers (dish network specifically) that eventually came out with an encryption method (nagra3 or something?) that was a lot harder to crack than previous versions.

Yes, the provider's tightened up their encryption methods, but ONLY after the CRTC, and much more forcefully the FCC, (both were taking a LOT of heat from cable provider's), told them to fix the piracy issue, or they risked losing their licences. They were also threatened with "daily fines" which would have quickly escalated into the millions, if they didn't fix it.

So not legislation but more of a regulatory, (gov't led), approach.

The provider's could have implemented the measures now in place, much earlier, but initially it wasn't viewed as a big issue. As many know, it continued to grow, until there were some who suggested their were more people watching pirated signals than subbed. The provider's also implemented "tactics" to go after anyone who distributed, equipment that was aiding in the priacy of signals. Once the provider's began to go after the end users, (letters of demands), for $3500 per person, (the provider's with the aid of lawyers and PI's), with of course court approval, began to "raid" suppliers, to gain access to end users data.

With ebikes, it could take legislation, or it may be regulations and crack downs on manufacturers, to follow the rules already in place, (IE working pedals, speed limiters, etc).

Out of curiosity what was this legislation that was introduced for satellite piracy, and did it actually help anything? I thought it was the satellite tv providers (dish network specifically) that eventually came out with an encryption method (nagra3 or something?) that was a lot harder to crack than previous versions.

Last edited:

The way I remember that play was Rupert Murdock owned the cards that Dish used (I forget the first one, then footballs then "F"), but didn't own Dish. He wanted to own Dish.
The cards were ridiculously easy to hack and Murdock left it that way, which eroded Dish's stock price... till it was almost worthless.
Guess who owns Dish now?
And the cards can't be hacked anymore. You can clone a card, but you can't hack the PSK.

...so it actually had nothing to do with Canadian legislation or American legislation. Just greed.
It's been a while since I looked at it but i remember that you could still get around BEV (Bell Express View, the cards actually affected by Canadian legislation) cards long after they tightened up Dish.

The way I heard it was that there was so much demand, that pirates were hijacking cargos, and murdering drivers to get enough cards to crack the encryption more quickly.

I never wanted to be involved in any part of that myself, although the situation may have been exaggerated for impact.

Because there's no money in fining near-welfare wage people.

Because if you fine them you have to fine bicycle riders.

Because they don't pop wheelies at 60mph on the highway.

It more has to do with the leftist-liberal nature of Toronto, they are considered "green veicles", good for the environment, so go get killed as long as you don't pollute Mother Earth.

So yesterday at 4.45 a sport bike E bike passed my car on Dundas st at Broadview....doing 60KMP in the Bicycle lane...could see the peddles..not moving
I briefly followed the rider to clock their speed
So Legally not an E bike....therefore should have Licence, registration and insurance ...like the rest of us on Motorcycles....who have to obey the law ....pay dearly for it....and have professional training to operate a motor vehicle in a safe way

If that "E" bike hits your car and the rider gets hurt...it goes on your insurance and record....because they have NO insurance or licence

:cool: if I still lived in downtown Toronto that would convince me to buy one.

Toronto Island ?:I can you think of a better place to have a closed course e-bike race?
remove the speed limit and turn it into a little Isle of Man, hold e-bike races there :laughing1: will never happen.

Toronto Island ?:I can you think of a better place to have a closed course e-bike race?
remove the speed limit and turn it into a little Isle of Man, hold e-bike races there :laughing1: will never happen.

The Island! Think of the hippies?

:iconbiggrin: I rode the don valley on dirt bikes back when nobody even seemed to care.

Those days are gone. Never to return. Everybody is offended about everything. Dirt bike on a dirt track, people will still complain. Your bike is sexist if you call it with a female name. Lol.
I remember when could ride no helmet, no insurance, no nothing. Just be nice to whoever stops and you will be on your way. Good, bad don`t know but everything was fun then. That was then in the UK.

Those days are gone. Never to return. Everybody is offended about everything. Dirt bike on a dirt track, people will still complain.

Which is why i owned a dual sport for only a summer.Lawyers ****ed it up for everyone.

How hypocritical. As a group riders tend to be the first to ***** about it when the government tries to implement new laws governing our speed or behaviour. Yet because so many of you seem to have a hard on for ebikes, it is now magically perfectly acceptable for the government to do the very things you all ***** about. So many also complain about , (targeted), enforcement, (for say sport bikes), yet you insist upon a crack down because they are a group you despise!!!

One rider, complains about the ebikes using the "bike lanes", yet feels justified in using them on his bike "as long as no cyclist are around".... Talk about hypocritical.

Then many go on and on about how the owners are all, either convicted, Impaired drivers, (we don't have DUI in Canada), or scofflaws, who shouldn't be on the road, yet ***** when the general public generalizes "All sport bike riders" What is good for one is just as good for the other.

As one person so wisely pointed out once the ebikes hit a "critical mass", (just as happened with say pirated satellite signals), the government WILL step in and enact some form of legislation. Given Doug's insistence on smaller gov't, I doubt he will be rushing to implement new rules and restrictive rules.

Thanks for saying this, which is what I was about to say myself. We need less regulations, not more. More 2 wheeled vehicles on the road can only help to raise visibility on the road. And being part of another even more persecuted group I know how letting rules affect a subset of your larger group and thinking 'that doesn't affect me' always seems to come back and bite you later.

How about we try to get these things filtering all the time until no one really cares when we do it?

j

Back
Top Bottom