E bikes rampaging Toronto streets | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

E bikes rampaging Toronto streets

Oh, and while I'm at it, I just watched this random video on the faux-moto style bike. If there is any further evidence that these bikes were designed to skirt the laws as much as possible, it's this:

View attachment 39581

The "pedals" apparently won't even work unless you remove the rearsets. They'll hit the footpegs when they rotate.
5:19 a real bike comes up on him. Is he allowed to ride down the middle of the road like that, or is he supposed to be off to the side?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Guy on a motocross with a full M AND insurance AND an off-road plate can't go down the side of the road to get to a trail. Yet these e-bikes with no license, no plate, no insurance, can.

What is wrong with this picture?

Guy on a motocross with a full M AND insurance AND an off-road plate can't go down the side of the road to get to a trail. Yet these e-bikes with no license, no plate, no insurance, can.

disenfrancised Metro cop vs. rural cop

Because some anal-retentive jerks complained about "those damn kids" on their motocross bikes and what a big hazard they are. I have no problem with motocross bikes using the shoulder to get to the next trail opening.

What is the logic behind licencing e-bikes but not regular bikes? Is it only because they weigh more?

You should try driving a farm tractor in an 80 zone when you have a top speed of 12 and no rear view mirrors :|

lol speaking of farm tractors, that is the true DUI alternate vehicle. (at least around here it is)
Or a horse and buggy. :)

Whenever I pass a bunch of menonites on those country roads north of waterloo I always think it must be scary for them. I'm sure every once in a while someone not paying attention hits them. Farm tractors are huge and heavy, I would think a car ramming into one wouldn't be too bad.

The real problem is that the government doesn't have good definitions of what these actually are (and no enforcement on top of it)
IMO it should be like this:

E-bike: any bicycle with electric pedal assist. The motor is only activated when there is human input on the pedals. Motor does not assist past 32km/h. can still use bike lanes/operate under the same rules as a standard push bicycle. No insurance/licensing

Electric motorcycle/scooter: anything that can propel itself only using the electric motor. Need an conditional M series license, insurance, etc. Must follow the same rules a standard motorcycle/scooter.

What is the logic behind licencing e-bikes but not regular bikes? Is it only because they weigh more?
They don't just weigh more, they weigh 20x more. And the day a bicycle that weighs 120Kg can be pedaled to 32-60km/h then we should license those too.

The real problem is that the government doesn't have good definitions of what these actually are (and no enforcement on top of it)

E-bike: any bicycle with electric pedal assist. The motor is only activated when there is human input on the pedals. Motor does not assist past 32km/h. can still use bike lanes/operate under the same rules as a standard push bicycle. No insurance/licensing

Electric motorcycle/scooter: anything that can propel itself only using the electric motor. Need an conditional M series license, insurance, etc. Must follow the same rules a standard motorcycle/scooter.

Agree wholeheartedly - now to try and get the Ontario guv to do something about it.

The Minister of Transportation needs to read this. You can create change if you want to.

E-mail:*jeff.yurekco@pc.ola.org

http://jeffyurekmpp.com/contact/

Contact him at the second link if you wish to do so anonymously. It would be impressive to see the law change to what is written here.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

So I buy any one of these things and the peddle power can produce >900 watts or achieve a speed greater then 32kph and now I require an M license, plates and liability insurance :/ that's as dumb as the existing laws! If I have to peddle it to make it go, what difference does it make how fast it can travel or how many watts it produces :/ that is putting a cap on the advancement of human powered transportation technology. <- we need to get past all that before we will see any advancement of the technology.
... notice I use the term produce instead of consume, the rider is the thing generating the power not your local hydro generating station.
https://www.electricbike.com/2014-mid-drive/

No, not "any" one. The pedal assist models from reputable manufacturers such as my Giant, or Trek, Specialized, Kona will cut out the assist at the current legally mandated speed, Canada being 32kmh. Europe has tighter restrictions

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Change the gear ratios and you don't need to "cut out" anything to make it go slower :/ still a dumb restriction when all you need is a speed limit in a given area where higher speed is a concern.

* Sent from my plain old ordinary laptop using 4 fingers and 2 thumbs

Last edited:
Speed is regulated by a hard mounted sensor on the rear bike frame and a sensor mounted on the rear wheel spokes. gear changes will not effect that. There are workarounds, but I won't discuss that publically.

Speed is regulated by a hard mounted sensor on the rear bike frame and a sensor mounted on the rear wheel spokes. gear changes will not effect that. There are workarounds, but I won't discuss that publically.
You lost me there :| You just described a speedometer
and I guarantee I can gear any bicycle down so it goes slower.

How hypocritical. As a group riders tend to be the first to ***** about it when the government tries to implement new laws governing our speed or behaviour. Yet because so many of you seem to have a hard on for ebikes, it is now magically perfectly acceptable for the government to do the very things you all ***** about. So many also complain about , (targeted), enforcement, (for say sport bikes), yet you insist upon a crack down because they are a group you despise!!!

One rider, complains about the ebikes using the "bike lanes", yet feels justified in using them on his bike "as long as no cyclist are around".... Talk about hypocritical.

Then many go on and on about how the owners are all, either convicted, Impaired drivers, (we don't have DUI in Canada), or scofflaws, who shouldn't be on the road, yet ***** when the general public generalizes "All sport bike riders" What is good for one is just as good for the other.

As one person so wisely pointed out once the ebikes hit a "critical mass", (just as happened with say pirated satellite signals), the government WILL step in and enact some form of legislation. Given Doug's insistence on smaller gov't, I doubt he will be rushing to implement new rules and restrictive rules.

Reactions: K C
As one person so wisely pointed out once the ebikes hit a "critical mass", (just as happened with say pirated satellite signals), the government WILL step in and enact some form of legislation...

Hey that was me! :grin:
Don't worry, as soon as they become popular the government will put a stop to all that.

How hypocritical. As a group riders tend to be the first to ***** about it when the government tries to implement new laws governing our speed or behaviour. Yet because so many of you seem to have a hard on for ebikes, it is now magically perfectly acceptable for the government to do the very things you all ***** about. So many also complain about , (targeted), enforcement, (for say sport bikes), yet you insist upon a crack down because they are a group you despise!!!

One rider, complains about the ebikes using the "bike lanes", yet feels justified in using them on his bike "as long as no cyclist are around".... Talk about hypocritical.

Then many go on and on about how the owners are all, either convicted, Impaired drivers, (we don't have DUI in Canada), or scofflaws, who shouldn't be on the road, yet ***** when the general public generalizes "All sport bike riders" What is good for one is just as good for the other.

As one person so wisely pointed out once the ebikes hit a "critical mass", (just as happened with say pirated satellite signals), the government WILL step in and enact some form of legislation. Given Doug's insistence on smaller gov't, I doubt he will be rushing to implement new rules and restrictive rules.

Well...The sobering voice of reason....yes. you are right.....and I let my frustrations with them and bicycles get me too hot under the collar....probably need to chill more....
I just wish we would ALL follow the rules of the road and be respectful and courteous riders and drivers

Reactions: K C
Well...The sobering voice of reason....yes. you are right.....and I let my frustrations with them and bicycles get me too hot under the collar....probably need to chill more....
I just wish we would ALL follow the rules of the road and be respectful and courteous riders and drivers
Hahahahahaha, that'll be the day. When the mentality of "hurry up and move, I need to get to A more importantly than you need to get to B" goes away. Goodluck with that in Toronto. "Big City" mentality...

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom