Durham Region (New Rider/M1 Friendly) Sunday July 29th | GTAMotorcycle.com

Durham Region (New Rider/M1 Friendly) Sunday July 29th

overkill13

Site Supporter
Fixed up my rear brake, mirror is still broken, but the repair still looks so good :D. Time for me to try to lead this ride on the whole route.

It's a nice scenic route with no 400 series highway for any M1 riders, with some nice twisty bits for a little fun. All bike types, all skill levels and 2uppers welcome. You don't even need to be from Durham :razz:. The pace will be reasonably quick, but newbie friendly. If you're looking to race, this probably isn't the ride for you.

Meet at the Tim Hortons/Burger King on Highway 2 in Oshawa, between Park Road and Stevenson Road. Look for Burger King signs, the Timmie's signs are too small. Sunday July 29th. Be there at 10am, leaving at 11am. One planned stop in Port Hope will include some lunch at Timmies/Pizza Pizza/Chicken Chicken. The whole trip, including stops will probably be three to four hours. Come fueled or early and I can direct you to the local gas stations.

Here's the route: https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=33...16,17&t=m&z=12

Respond here to let me know who and how many are coming. Feel free to ask any questions here as well.

how come these map links never work on my iphone? i click it and it just opens the map screen and shows north america lol

anyways i am interested and will try and make it :)

I use a dinosaur of a cell myself so I can't help you there. I is it the length of the links maybe? Google route links are incredibly long.

Last edited:
If I'm out that way next weekend I'm likely in.

I'll see what I can do to get out for a bit.

Eta: oops, just reread this, thought it was for tomorrow, the 22nd. I'm out of town on the 29th. Oh well.

Last edited:
Funny thing, I actually did that exact ride yesterday morning before going to work. Left my house at 5 am, got to work just before 8.

I ride the section on Lakeshore (I think it's called) between Newcastle and Port Hope all the time when I'm out in Courtice and bored on a weekend. Actually debating between washing the bike and riding it now lol.

Yeah, that is Lakeshore Road. Nice and scenic for a cruise and moderately twisty for some fun.

looks like a good route; going to try to make it out; what's the expected ride time?

looks like a good route; going to try to make it out; what's the expected ride time?

duh...

"The whole trip, including stops will probably be three to four hours. Come fueled or early and I can direct you to the local gas stations"

obviously not a strong reader.

Is there a group specifically for durham riders? I'm up in Waterloo for school but I'll be back by the end of next week and wanna meet some new riders :)

There used to be meets at Wing Shack, but I haven't seen anything about them since I came back to the forum.

anyone from scarborough/markham heading to this ride? we can pre- meet up and go to meet area if interested; again m1 rider welcome, possibly be taking local roads.

overkill13 -- Can I make one suggestion/possible alteration? Last weekend I scoped out part of this route (I ride the lakeshore bit through Newcastle -> Port Hope and back all the time), but noticed the Lake Rd/Port Darlington Rd/East Beach Rd after Liberty (in Bowmanville) is actually a 1-lane gravel section.

If instead the ride simply continued down Baseline (straight) vs turning at Liberty, we could then turn left at Lambs Rd, and head up to Highway 2 at that point instead. Just thinking the narrow gravel lane might not be best for new riders, and also the thought of other bikes kicking up gravel at me/my paint doesn't really sound great to me lol.

I've also updated the route to show what I am speaking about, but as I may or may not be joining in I'll leave it up to you or any other organizers to make the actual decision to change or stay as previously planned:

http://goo.gl/maps/Z4RG

Last edited:
I have taken several new riders on this trip on two separate occasions. In total I have had six first time gravel riders comment that gravel was much easier than they expected and several mentioned that they were happy that their first time on gravel was in a group.

That section is a very nice scenic area that nobody would ever know about and I ride very conservatively in the gravel section. I host this ride to allow newer riders, especially first time group riders, to acclimate to group riding in a conservative speed environment and the gravel section is an additional learning opportunity. I adjust my riding throughout this trip, in the gravel and the twisties, specifically to accommodate the new riders.

I encourage any new riders to come out to this ride. I ride at a pace that should be within the limits of any new rider and I encourage all participants to ride at their own pace in the corners.

Back
Top Bottom